Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Design Chief Jony Ive to Speak at TechFest 2017 in October

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple design chief Jony Ive is one of the planned speakers at TechFest 2017, hosted by The New Yorker. Set to take place on October 6 from 8:45 a.m. to 6:30 p.m, the event will be held in New York City.

Ive will talk about "designing the future," according to The New Yorker. No additional information has been provided on what topics Ive will cover, but with the launch of the iPhone X approaching, it could come up during the discussion.

Other speakers at TechFest include Hyperloop One co-founder Josh Giegel, author Van Jones, Human Rights Foundation chairman Garry Kasparov, Snap chairman Michael Lynton, and M.I.T. computer science and AI lab director Daniela Rus, among others.

Tickets for The New Yorker's TechFest are priced at $1,500.

Article Link: Apple Design Chief Jony Ive to Speak at TechFest 2017 in October

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
Whoever’s attending this can someone please have the balls to ask him why he has made questionable design decisions in regards to both software and hardware, why he decided ‘the notch’ was ever a good idea, and why iOS has had terrible design decisions since iOS 7 and to tell him that he isn’t good at his job anymore because Steve isn’t here as his filter to oversee and say no to his ****? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Whoever’s attending this can someone please have the balls to ask him why he has made questionable design decisions in regards to both software and hardware, why he decided ‘the notch’ was ever a good idea, and why iOS has had terrible design decisions since iOS 7 and to tell him that he isn’t good at his job anymore because Steve isn’t here as his filter to oversee and say no to his ****? Thanks.
I don't think he's responsible for design anymore. He had someone else to handle his design department.

Comment

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
I'm aware of that. Still, he still has other fellows taking care of his task now. Someone by the name Howethe

https://www.apple.com/uk/leadership/richard-howarth/ This guy?

Still though, it says under Jony’s leadership role:

“Jony is responsible for all design at Apple, including the look and feel of Apple hardware, user interface, packaging, major architectural projects such as Apple Park and Apple’s retail stores, as well as new ideas and future initiatives.”

Comment

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
https://www.apple.com/uk/leadership/richard-howarth/ This guy?

Still though, it says under Jony’s leadership role:

“Jony is responsible for all design at Apple, including the look and feel of Apple hardware, user interface, packaging, major architectural projects such as Apple Park and Apple’s retail stores, as well as new ideas and future initiatives.”
Yes that guy. Jony still has that title, but the real works comes from that howeth guy.

Comment

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
Yes that guy. Jony still has that title, but the real works comes from that howeth guy.

Ah, I see. Jony is still responsible for software design though, that guy is just behind the industrial design. And I’d say Jony has final word on the hardware also but can’t be 100% sure.

Comment

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
I personally don't know what exact jony do these days...i mean day to day life.

Well I know he’s been heavily focused on the campus, but apart from that I have no idea. It would explain why the software and hardware is lacking if that’s where most of his efforts have been. Just look at the endless complaints regarding ‘the notch’ with the iPhone X and the big bold fonts and other software changes in iOS 11.

Reactions: johnmed
Comment

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Well I know he’s been heavily focused on the campus, but apart from that I have no idea. It would explain why the software and hardware is lacking if that’s where most of his efforts have been. Just look at the endless complaints regarding ‘the notch’ with the iPhone X and the big bold fonts and other software changes in iOS 11.
I agree. The whole releases have been messy.

Reactions: Superhappytree
Comment

farewelwilliams

macrumors 601
Jun 18, 2014

notch makes sense for certain reasons. reasons that you won't agree with, but the reasons are sound.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.