Apple Design Chief Jony Ive to Speak at WIRED's 25th Anniversary Event in October

bluecoast

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2017
You’re exactly right with your last sentence. What we’re seeing now is the result of Jony having too much freedom, power, and control with no one like Jobs to keep him in check and tell him that some of his designs suck. Like you say; Cook isn’t a product guy so he just gives free reign to Jony because of his previous track record without realising that it was his combo with Steve that made all the difference. Cook has put his trust in the hardware and software teams to just get on and do their thing with no tweaks being made from him as he isn’t a product guy which is the reason why they have both haven’t been as good, no one like Jobs to say what’s good or bad. What we get can be seen as sloppy and has you questioning the end product more than anything. It’s similar to having a missing band member who would change the entire structure of a song because of those small changes he would make to that song that makes it so much better. With him no longer there though you get a “meh” reaction to their products, or even worse than that; utter frustration which has been the case recently and has become more common over time.
I strongly suspect that intel kept on promising Apple that its 10nm process would be live ‘soon’ and that the current MB and MBP were designed for this - the iMac too.

This would’ve resulted in powerful computers that ran cooler

However, you sense that the industrial design team wanted to build a sleeker, thinner & lighter computer as their overriding aim.

So this lead to things like:

the MB & MBP keyboard debacle - entirely self inflicted.

As was the decision to turn pro machines into near sealed units, compared to the previous generations.

The decisions around ports doesn’t bother me too much, but I don’t use my MBP for pro content creation.

And finally, the decision to even launch these products without the 10 nm processors that they were intended to have, has likely backfired (more with the MBP than the MB).

In retrospect, Apple should’ve ‘retrofitted’ elements of the new design onto the 2012-15 design. But then, they probably had intel saying ‘10 nm is next year, go for it!’

It’s going to be interesting when we first see what the ARM Macs look like. These will be an indication of the kind of computers that Apple really wants to make.

Likely we will be seeing consumer ARM Macs first and that they’ll be sealed units ie something similar to the iPad.

Such is the hostility of Apple’s pro customers to it, that they’ll need to launch the new Mac Pro before they even talk about ARM Macs.

A redesign of the MBP would help too, though I suspect that we won’t be getting one until intel can ship those 10 nm processors...

otternonsense

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
lol, contrary to your beliefs, people love their Macs and want to buy more.

lol, the MBP is the most connectable and interoperable laptop in the market.

we have an engineer here... like it or not, Apple did what others can't, and made a laptop this thin with a more than sufficient cooling solution that basically noiseless. Others can't, because their lack of good materials and good engineering.
1. Reverse logic. People want to buy more Macs and put up with this new design just because they already loved and need the Mac. Those new Macs are generating more frustration than affection.

2. This USBc donglehell of a laptop is the exact opposite of “most connectable”. 2 years in and we’re still nowhere near a USBc enabled utopia.

3. The fact remains that excessive temperatures affect clock speed and in long term it’s gonna be anything but sustainable for product lifespan. Apple’s latest patch is an improvement but not a total fix.

MarkB786

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Rocky Mountains, USA
I think that Jony is probably brilliant, and it might be time for him to jump ship to another company to see what he can accomplish next. You can only refine curves on the same product for so long before going crazy and have to start calling it a waste of God-given talent.
[doublepost=1532964141][/doublepost]
Don't think Samsung products have any resemblance with Apple products nowadays.
In fact, I think the Galaxy line looks awful.
How can it look awful compared to Apple? It's a rectangular piece of glass and metal, just like the iPhone... (sans the notch, of course, which looks great).

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Dalton

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
Home is everywhere and nowhere.
I think that Jony is probably brilliant, and it might be time for him to jump ship to another company to see what he can accomplish next. You can only refine curves on the same product for so long before going crazy and calling it a waste of God-given talent.
[doublepost=1532964141][/doublepost]

How can it look awful compared to Apple? It's a rectangular piece of glass and metal, just like the iPhone... (sans the notch, of course, which looks great).
I think you skipped reading "Don't think Samsung products have any resemblance with Apple products nowadays."

I am not the only one, plenty of people dislike Samsung's design, I don't like the Samsung Galaxy design at all, the back is the worst and has no resemblance whatsoever with iPhones.

MarkB786

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Rocky Mountains, USA
I think you skipped reading "Don't think Samsung products have any resemblance with Apple products nowadays."

I am not the only one, plenty of people dislike Samsung's design, I don't like the Samsung Galaxy design at all, the back is the worst and has no resemblance whatsoever with iPhones.
No, I read that part. I suppose that I'm not much of an artist. A rectangular hunk of glass and metal is a rectangular hunk of glass and metal, no matter who makes it. Hopefully, the prettier one has the functionality you want. If not, what is a person to do?? Such a terrible dilemma. Sure, some have smoother edges, but who the heck cares? "The back is the worst." Okay, I'm looking at the back of my Note 8, and it's smooth and black (and usually covered by a case). Yeah, no artistry at all. Seems to be designed like a phone and not a work of art. Horrific.

thepixelpusher

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2015
Dimension C-137
LOL. Proof?
Frank, TimmeyCook has no proof, he's just trolling you. He's a retiree that uses his "See'nSay" iPad and a jitterbug phone. I work in Advertising and I see everyday that editors out there are using Adobe Premiere, not Apple Final Cut. I have accounts in the entertainment industry, and while i use a mac as a Graphic Designer, the editors are on Windows machines using Premiere. Doesn't surprise me that TimmeyCook has his head up a butt. He emulates the real Timmey Cook.

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
Home is everywhere and nowhere.
No, I read that part. I suppose that I'm not much of an artist. A rectangular hunk of glass and metal is a rectangular hunk of glass and metal, no matter who makes it. Hopefully, the prettier one has the functionality you want. If not, what is a person to do?? Such a terrible dilemma. Sure, some have smoother edges, but who the heck cares? "The back is the worst." Okay, I'm looking at the back of my Note 8, and it's smooth and black (and usually covered by a case). Yeah, no artistry at all. Seems to be designed like a phone and not a work of art. Horrific.
Guess what, people have opinions, different tastes, some like art, others don't care at all.
I won't ever buy anything that is not my taste, I like works of art, I like good music, I like classy.

Reactions: Frank Dalton

MarkB786

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Rocky Mountains, USA
Guess what, people have opinions, different tastes, some like art, others don't care at all.
I won't ever buy anything that is not my taste, I like works of art, I like good music, I like classy.
Yes, fair enough. A world with JUST utilitarians or JUST artists would be intolerable. I'm the kind of guy who will go to an art museum and think "What the he** is that doing on the wall?!" for just about everything. :)

PickUrPoison

macrumors 601
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
or maybe he will announce a licensed version of macOS. I would pay for the OS if I could put it on any machine.
It will never happen, anymore than they would license iOS to other phone manufacturers.

They tried it in th 1990s and it was a disaster. Basically, the revenue from the license fee doesn’t come anywhere close to offsetting the profit lost from the hardware.

thepixelpusher

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2015
Dimension C-137
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-08-01/apple-reveals-what-stock-price-it-will-hit-1-trillion-market-cap

"With Apple reporting solid Q3 earnings and its stock surging by 5% today, bucking the overall market, the only question investors were left with was at what price with Apple become the world's first $1 trillion company. The reason why this is a moving target is that starting in 2013, the company has been repurchasing millions of shares, shrinking the total number of shares outstanding with every quarter."

Gotta admit Tim Cook is good at one thing...being a bean counter.

thepixelpusher

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2015
Dimension C-137
https://twitter.com/markgurman/status/1024488735033839617?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1024488735033839617&ref_url=https://www.macrumors.com/

Mac sales were the lowest in a quarter since 2010 - hard to blame the MacBook Pro coming out in July versus June. That said, Apple is closing on being a Trillion dollar company! Way to go Apple!

The fact that the Apple products and UI interface is so easy to use helps. The Apple ecosystem is a pleasure to use. Now if we could get Jony Ives to address a few issues and it'll be perfect.

Last edited:

thepixelpusher

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2015
Dimension C-137
or maybe he will announce a licensed version of macOS. I would pay for the OS if I could put it on any machine.
I've been hoping the MacOS would be available to other hardware, but that was struck down long ago by Steve Jobs and I don't think it'll ever be reversed. I don't think doing a Hackintosh is any answer either. All Apple has to do is change something in an update and it could brick your computer.

Last edited: