Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In order to help customers understand which iPhone 5 models will support LTE in which countries and on which carriers, Apple has posted a new guide outlining the three different model variants and their compatibility.

The North America-focused GSM model is compatible with LTE service on AT&T in the United States and Bell, Rogers and Telus in Canada. The CDMA model is compatible with LTE on Sprint and Verizon in the United States, as well as KDDI in Japan.

iphone_5_lte_compatibility.jpg

For the international-focused GSM model, LTE is supported on ten different networks in Germany, the UK, Australia, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, and Singapore.

This information is for the first round of launches taking place on September 21, and Apple will presumably be updating this page with additional entries for later markets that are also rolling out LTE on frequencies compatible with these devices.

Article Link: Apple Details iPhone 5 LTE Carrier Compatibility

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2003
So, if we buy the Verizon model, does it also work on the international LTE bands mentioned in the GSM international model?

This is quite confusing! I want something I can roam with. It has 3G support for UTMS/HSPA/HSPA+ apparently, hmm.

milan03

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New York City
Just to note that if you want global LTE coverage (sans Canada), get a Verizon LTE unlocked phone. You are covered wherever you are WITH LTE not only HSPA.

AT&T's unlocked version will get you covered globally on HSPA, and potentially on T-Mobile's LTE once they launch since it's also band 4, as well as MetroPCS Band 4. Also Canadian LTE carriers use the same LTE bands so that's covered.

And that Global version, I honestly have no idea why anyone in the US would buy knowing that Verizon iPhone give you all those bands and more.

Last edited:

jelew1985

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
What is the different between gsm and CDMA?

GSM: Requires a SIM in order for the phone to work on an cell network. (Better compatibility internationally)

CDMA: Doesn't have a SIM card in order for the phone to work on an cell network. (Restricted compatibilities (primarily in the US))

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
So... AT&T's iPhone could roam on Canadian LTE networks and Verizon's can roam on Japan's LTE networks. Both can roam on HSPA+ throughout the world.

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland
GSM: Requires a SIM in order for the phone to work on an cell network. (Better compatibility internationally)

CDMA: Doesn't have a SIM card in order for the phone to work on an cell network. (Restricted compatibilities (primarily in the US))

That however doesn't apply if the phone supports LTE since LTE requires a sim card, even on cdma phones.

milan03

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New York City

No.
1. All phones roam on GSM/HSPA

2. AT&T only roams on Canadian LTE. HSPA it'll roam globally.

3. Verizon/Sprint roams in Europe, Asia, Australia on LTE (no Canada) and globally on GSM/HSPA/CDMA.

4. All phones use SIM cards. Required for LTE.

5. Additionally, AT&T's unlocked phone will be capable connecting to future T-Mobile LTE network.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA
No.

3. Verizon roams in Europe, Asia, Australia on LTE (no Canada) and globally on GSM/HSPA/CDMA.

What he said isn't incorrect. You just provided a more detailed version (adding locales other than Japan where Verizon version roams on LTE).

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
No.

3. Verizon/Sprint roams in Europe, Asia, Australia on LTE (no Canada) and globally on GSM/HSPA/CDMA.

5. Additionally, AT&T's unlocked phone will be capable connecting to future T-Mobile LTE network.
One more reason to switch to Virgin Mobile (US) and its $30 per month plan.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Just to note that if you want global LTE coverage (sans Canada), get a Verizon LTE unlocked phone. You are covered wherever you are WITH LTE not only HSPA.

AT&T's unlocked version will get you covered globally on HSPA, and potentially on T-Mobile's LTE once they launch since it's also band 4, as well as MetroPCS Band 4. Also Canadian LTE carriers use the same LTE bands so that's covered.

And that Global version, I honestly have no idea why anyone in the US would buy knowing that Verizon iPhone give you all those bands and more.

But Verizon's LTE fallback is to slow-as-**** EVDO.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA
Do your research and stop spreading false information.

What he said is a subset of the information you presented, meaning it is logically correct by extension. At no point did he say those were the only networks/standards it would roam on. Get off your high horse.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Aaaaanyhoww..... here is another confirmation of what I already said

And what he already said, since everything in your post agreed with what he said. Still can't figure out what the "no" was about with all your info confirming what he said.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

Wrong. CDMA LTE Still requires a SIM Card

machpost

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
No.

Just so I'm clear: If I buy a Verizon iPhone 5, I'll be able to make and receive phone calls in Europe?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA
Just so I'm clear: If I buy a Verizon iPhone 5, I'll be able to make and receive phone calls in Europe?

Yes, the Verizon iPhone has always had global GSM roaming. LTE isn't essential for calls and isn't used in most cases. Compatability depends on the LTE bands used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.