Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Well see about that.

My guess is that before any install, it will have an opening kiosk page that will ask you for your apple ID and try to connect to the internet.

I've got a computer in the house (My daughters) that I prefer NOT to have authorized. So I wonder whether that image I make of the os will allow me to install it on her computer without putting in the apple ID.

So you are morally indignant because of a "guess?"

All evidence suggests that your guess is wrong. And by "evidence" I refer to the fact that it currently does NOT work the way you suggest.

miografico

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
I hope not since you missed Microsoft's >$13b in debt and Google's >$5b in debt. Or you thought it was not relevant. Either way, giving lessons would be a bad idea.

P.S. The number for Apple is $0.

Here is to praying to never have to read a balance sheet for anything other than kicks! As of Q1 2011 Apple has 9.1 billion in ONC liabilities and 4.52 billion in Current Liabilities. Apple has no Long Term Liabilities as in mortgages and loans, but they have an accounts payable and short term debts just like every other corporation on earth!

P.S. learn all the places debt or liabilities are listed on a balance sheet and why they are listed where they are listed.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
So you are morally indignant because of a "guess?"

All evidence suggests that your guess is wrong. And by "evidence" I refer to the fact that it currently does NOT work the way you suggest.

I hope that's true.

But every other 'registered' piece of software that's downloaded from the app store can only work on a computer that has the same apple ID.

I'll be delighted if Mac osx Lion is the exception to that rule.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
But every other 'registered' piece of software that's downloaded from the app store can only work on a computer that has the same apple ID.

What do you mean by this? Once an app is downloaded and installed using the Mac App Store, that computer can use the app whenever it wants. As far as I know, there is no further authorization that occurs.

For instance, you could log into the MAS to purchase Angry Birds on a Mac. Then, you can log out of the MAS and Angry Birds will continue to work fine. In theory, you could install software using your AppleID onto someone else's Mac by logging them out of the MAS and logging into your account. Then just log yourself out and they can log back in. (NOTE - I haven't tried this, but I'm pretty sure this would work).

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
What do you mean by this? Once an app is downloaded and installed using the Mac App Store, that computer can use the app whenever it wants. As far as I know, there is no further authorization that occurs.

For instance, you could log into the MAS to purchase Angry Birds on a Mac. Then, you can log out of the MAS and Angry Birds will continue to work fine. In theory, you could install software using your AppleID onto someone else's Mac by logging them out of the MAS and logging into your account. Then just log yourself out and they can log back in. (NOTE - I haven't tried this, but I'm pretty sure this would work).

So ... you do agree that on any re-install of Lion, there will be a point where Lion 'asks' you for your apple ID, and without it, won't work or finish the install?

That's what's confusing to me. When you re-install your Lion image onto a blank hard drive, will it ask for your apple ID at some point or not? If not, then it's unlike anything else downloaded from the mac App store.

If so ... how will that work? Will it be an opening page before the install ... or will it let you install the os, and then a notice pops up saying that the system won't work (or will shut down -whatever) unless you go online and 'authorize' the computer with your apple ID.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
So ... you do agree that on any re-install of Lion, there will be a point where Lion 'asks' you for your apple ID, and without it, won't work or finish the install?

That's what's confusing to me. When you re-install your Lion image onto a blank hard drive, will it ask for your apple ID at some point or not? If not, then it's unlike anything else downloaded from the mac App store.

If so ... how will that work? Will it be an opening page before the install ... or will it let you install the os, and then a notice pops up saying that the system won't work (or will shut down -whatever) unless you go online and 'authorize' the computer with your apple ID.

Hmmm, interesting. I actually have no idea. I think I was taking your question a little too literally. I keyed into your use of the word "work", not really thinking about the re-install process.

I'm guessing for most people, if you install Lion on multiple Macs, you'd need to login to the MAS prior to the installation. I have no idea how an install would work if you did it with a pre-authorized "image" on a DVD or thumbdrive.

I guess the most logical assumption would be to see how it's being done on the Lion beta; which I have no idea.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Lion Server requirements, Snow Leopard Server

Let me rephrase: If I don't have a license for Snow Leopard Server, can I just buy Lion and on top of that Lion Server, or would I need to buy Snow Leopard Server too? The way I understand it, is that without a valid Snow Leopard Server license it won't be possible to use Lion Server.

I won't have a definite answer to this until after the license agreements for Lion and Lion Server are published by Apple.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
reusing installers following a hard disk drive failure

What if that hard drive crashes, fails, becomes unusable ... like dozens of hard drives in my life already have?

Keep a backup of the installer for Lion, away from the hard disk that contains your normal startup volume.

If that hard disk fails:

1. replace the disk
  2. reuse the installer for Snow Leopard
  3. reuse the installer for Lion
  4. restore from a Time Machine backup.

In the business and education environment, someone might do those things for you.

hrishidev

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
IMHO, MAS is good concept but poorly implemented.

Advantages
1) You can browse app at one place managed by Apple
2) Manage Updates of all downloaded applications
3) Recomendations will be helpful choose the better apps
4) For developers , access to large customers of Apple

Disadantages
1) No trial version available.
2) 30 % to Apple is not acceptable to many small , med or large software companies or individual developer (someone with extraodinary app but with no existing /alternate marketing channel wont mind 30 % as reaching large customber base for individual developer is cubersome(or next to impossible ) )
3) MAS is not completely developed as online buying plateform (missing features viz Comparing feaures of two similar apps )

My comapny rejected idea of using MAS because it already has its marketing/distribution channel set and expenses are less that 30%. Also marketing team thinks that without first hand experince user wont be buying app. I cant doubt that argument

iphonepiephone

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
IMHO, MAS is good concept but poorly implemented.

Advantages
1) You can browse app at one place managed by Apple
2) Manage Updates of all downloaded applications
3) Recomendations will be helpful choose the better apps
4) For developers , access to large customers of Apple

Disadantages
1) No trial version available.
2) 30 % to Apple is not acceptable to many small , med or large software companies or individual developer (someone with extraodinary app but with no existing /alternate marketing channel wont mind 30 % as reaching large customber base for individual developer is cubersome(or next to impossible ) )
3) MAS is not completely developed as online buying plateform (missing features viz Comparing feaures of two similar apps )

My comapny rejected idea of using MAS because it already has its marketing/distribution channel set and expenses are less that 30%. Also marketing team thinks that without first hand experince user wont be buying app. I cant doubt that argument

These people are silly, as they'll be receiving significantly less traffic for less than the 30% forfeited, than they would by paying the 30%, and having a gigantic potential customer base.

Should be pretty easy I think. Create an apple id for the business. Purchase Lion. Download it on one Mac. Restore the InstallESD.dmg to a usb drive. Upgrade on all the macs.

Gosh, some people never read articles properly, do they. You copy the INSTALLER APP to a flash drive, and not this hackery geekery of restoring DMGs to drives; can you imagine "Joe Average" doing so?

Thought not.

Last edited:

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
InstaDMG, KBOX, preventing installation of the installer for Lion

I currently have an InstaDMG-based process for creating a base image, and a KBOX-based process for deploying additional applications.

InstaDMG I found easily enough.

I couldn't easily find a product page for KBOX, but it's visualised and spoken in the video 'Mac Imaging with Dell KACE Appliances' at Centralized Management - Mac, Windows, Linux & Virtual Machines - Dell KACE. Is KBOX a legacy expression, or a modern expression that Dell try to avoid?

… InstaDMG-compatible disk images of 10.7

Do you expect something to prevent you from creating an image?

… terms … for enterprise use of the App Store, including volume App Store purchases

Why not use the approaches in the 'Buying Lion' section of Apple document L425435A?

… a way to block users from purchasing …

I can't imagine Apple providing a method for a third party to block App Store purchase of an item.

Referred from New to InstaDMG? Please Take a Look, the 2010 Session documentation of the European Macintosh System Administrators meeting lists a variety of products/approaches. Is there anything that could help you discourage/prevent installation of the installer for Lion?

Could you put on disk a placeholder file that takes the place of a valid installer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.