Apple Developer Site Down as Developers Report Possible Hack [Update: Apple Says No Breach]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 6, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's Developer site has been down for a couple of hours now, and while it originally seemed like the outage was related to maintenance, a few reports trickling in from developers suggests there could potentially be another cause.

Several developers are reporting that all of their developer account addresses have been updated with an address in Russia, perhaps indicating some kind of breach or serious internal error. According to multiple developer reports, their accounts list a Russian address instead of their correct address.

[​IMG]

It's not clear what's going on with the developer site at this time. We have reached out to Apple for more information and will update this post should any new information become available.

Back in 2013, Apple's Developer Center was breached by hackers and was taken offline for several days as Apple worked to fix the breach, rebuild the developer database, and implement better security practices. At that time, Apple said sensitive personal information was encrypted and inaccessible, but some developers' names, mailing addresses, and email addresses may have been leaked.

Update: The Apple Developer site is now back up. No reason has been provided for the outage or the appearance of Russian addresses on some accounts.

Update 2: In a statement provided to MacRumors and sent out to affected developers, Apple's Developer Program support staff says there was no security breach. Instead, there was a bug in the account management application that caused address information to be temporarily displayed incorrectly.
    Article Link: Apple Developer Site Down as Developers Report Possible Hack [Update: Apple Says No Breach]

2. mariusignorello macrumors 6502a

Oh not again. The last hack took the site down for a week.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

It always is.

4. nexesnex macrumors regular

Oh no!!! At least this happened this week and not next week.:eek:

5. liven2 macrumors regular

6. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Seems like the 3D Touch “lag” on iOS 11 betas has driven some to try and get the GM a week early...

7. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

Sounds like not a good time to update any apps then.

8. justperry, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2017

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Hope it's just a glitch and not really a hack.

9. thisisnotmyname, Sep 6, 2017

thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

Seems like more than a glitch. I think there's cause for concern.

10. cjboffoli97 macrumors member

I use two-factor authentication to access my developer account. I didn't know it was optional. If this story pans out as reported, I'd be curious to know if the hackers were able to circumvent it.

11. gobikerider, Sep 6, 2017

gobikerider macrumors 65816

gobikerider

If this was a hack, would my account (a free dev account, not a paid membership) be affected? If I need to I will change my password for my Apple ID right now.

12. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

This probably has little to do with login, hackers most likely found a backdoor.

13. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

If there was a backdoor, my money’s on it being disclosed by that HomePod firmware.

14. mrthomnas macrumors regular

Or Steve Lemme

15. mariusignorello macrumors 6502a

Russian interference with the launch of the next iPhone confirmed.

16. Videomanmac macrumors 6502

Everyone will riot for that.

17. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

18. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I hope my account details are still safe.

Edited to add: I can't remember if I had two-factor turned on for the Developer account, albeit it is turned on for the Applied site and the rest of my Apple account.

19. HiVolt macrumors 6502

HiVolt

Speaking of that, I noticed earlier in the day I had like 10 app updates... i updated them, thinking nothing of it...

Now I'm wondering... These werent just smallfry apps, but big name apps too.

20. BlueCreek macrumors regular

Yeah I currently have 22 which are automatically updating right now, this is probably due to the fact iOS 11 is out in 6 days.

21. daveak macrumors regular

There would be more than the developer site down if this were an issue. Apple would be completely screwed if someone managed to get access to the private signing keys for apps and todays beta updates. Given nothing else is down, wouldn't worry.

22. macTW macrumors 6502a

Irresponsible macrumors for making up a possible outcome that there is no evidence of having happened.

23. ddkkpp, Sep 6, 2017

ddkkpp macrumors 6502

ddkkpp

Look at the whole quote:

Back in 2013, Apple's Developer Center was breached by hackers and was taken offline for several days as Apple worked to fix the breach, rebuild the developer database, and implement better security practices. At that time, Apple said sensitive personal information was encrypted and inaccessible, but some developers' names, mailing addresses, and email addresses may have been leaked.
    now read the first 3 words. that'll give you context for the last 3.