Apple Developer Site Down as Developers Report Possible Hack [Update: Apple Says No Breach]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 6, 2017.

1. scfxmac macrumors newbie

scfxmac

I can confirm this is true. The developer account for my company was in fact hacked, which included our banking information (banking info was replaced with a Russian bank). It's a big deal, and definitely not something for people to be joking about. The fact that a company as big as Apple is this vulnerable should worry everyone.

2. daveak macrumors 6502

I can confirm that my develop account banking information has not been altered at all, all my information is still correct on itunesconnect.

3. scfxmac macrumors newbie

scfxmac

You appear to be in the UK. Wonder if this is something exclusive to the US.

It first became apparent when we received an auto-generated email from iTunes connect indicating that our banking information had been "updated".

4. oplix Suspended

oplix

ITS GOTTA BE...wait for it....

THE RUSSIANS!

5. jdillings macrumors 68000

6. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

That was for the previous hack, not this one.

7. RF9 macrumors regular

if I was the hacker, I wouldn't update the account I hacked with MY address. I can't believe a Russian hacker would even use a Russian address. I'm not saying it's not a hack, I'm just saying that I'm skeptical that it's Russians just because the address is in Russia.

8. weup togo macrumors 6502

This would be a very good time for you to disable Mac App Store auto-updates.

9. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

If you just look a little bit closer you can see it

[​IMG]

10. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

11. KrisLord macrumors 68000

Everything looks normal when I look at appleid.apple.com so fingers crossed any issue is limited to only a few accounts.

12. macTW, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2017

macTW Suspended

Notice it still says may. As in, never confirmed and no notice was released due to lack of affected parties i.e. didn't happen.

13. macTW Suspended

But it was never confirmed in the previous hack. Within 4 years, wouldn't they have contacted affected parties if it did happen...?

14. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

From an email Apple sent to developers in 2013, which does indeed say there is a possibility names, mailing addresses, and email addresses were accessed:

"Last Thursday, an intruder attempted to secure personal information of our registered developers from our developer website. Sensitive personal information was encrypted and cannot be accessed, however, we have not been able to rule out the possibility that some developers’ names, mailing addresses, and/or email addresses may have been accessed. In the spirit of transparency, we want to inform you of the issue. We took the site down immediately on Thursday and have been working around the clock since then.

In order to prevent a security threat like this from happening again, we’re completely overhauling our developer systems, updating our server software, and rebuilding our entire database. We apologize for the significant inconvenience that our downtime has caused you and we expect to have the developer website up again soon."

15. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

Bummer.

These state sponsored hacks are wrecking one of the greatest inventions greatest by man.

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You're concerned about the site being down ?

I'm concerned with Russia getting all my information.

17. DarkMouseNet macrumors newbie

DarkMouseNet

I wonder if this has anything to do with the huge amounts of fake downloads coming from China since August 13, 2017?

18. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The applied.apple.com site doesn't' list your Developer account status and information, though.

19. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

That's not a good sign . . .
    --- Post Merged, Sep 6, 2017 ---
    If developer accounts are linked to in-app purchases, then changing the info to their own bank account (set up solely for this purpose of course) would make sense. I do not know how IAPs work, but if payments automatically go to the banks, then hackers accessing the accounts and changing it to their banking info, as scfxmac said happened to him, there is potential for millions and millions of dollars to be at risk.

20. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Hmm haven’t received any emails about information being changed

21. ocyrus macrumors member

How? iTunesConnect has your bank account information, not developer.apple.com

22. Chris The Bipolarbear macrumors regular

Chris The Bipolarbear

It’s back up just looked a few seconds ago

23. shipdestroyerrr macrumors newbie

wow right before the release. the election was one thing, if they f with my developer account this is war :p

24. Macalway macrumors 68030

Really? fantastic