Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9 to 5 Mac reports that it has received a tip claiming that Apple is in the process of developing an application to bring FM radio functionality to the iPhone and iPod touch. The functionality would reportedly be similar to that found in the fifth-generation iPod nano, which offers the ability pause radio and tag songs for use in iTunes.

The FM radio application will reportedly be able to function in the background to allow user to listen to radio stations while other tasks are being performed, although it remains unclear whether the radio functionality will be a standalone application or integrated into the existing "iPod" music application. The application will also reportedly extend song tagging capabilities to integrate direct iTunes Store purchasing.
The holdup on this app is that Apple is trying to integrate the Mobile iTunes Store purchases into the functionality of the program. For instance, if you like a song you are listening to on the radio (and that station supports tagging and you are in the US), you will be able to push a button and see the song (and all of the information around it) in the iTunes Mobile store.
The Broadcom combination Wi-Fi/Bluetooth chips used in the iPhone and iPod touch have long also had the technical capacity for FM radio reception, with the chip found in the latest iPod touch theoretically also capable of FM radio transmission, although Apple has not as yet taken advantage of these capabilities.

Article Link: Apple Developing FM Radio Application for iPhone and iPod Touch?

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
I would straight up love this feature. I am so sick of spotty 3g interrupting my sports talk on the bus ride home.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
i wouldn't be surprised if this was only given to the 4th gen phone. Even though the 3rd gen can use it.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
They will probably charge like 10 dollars for it though, why do they charge to enable features things already have?

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
They will probably charge like 10 dollars for it though, why do they charge to enable features things already have?

Not on the iPhone, but they would on the iPod Touch due to how things are accounted for - if the function was added to the system firmware and not just as an app store application.

However recent changes to accounting rules might mean that is unnecessary to charge. There will be some stories here over the past month or two about this.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
much of my listening behavior has been circumvented by Pandora, Stitcher and NPR apps but I'd still like the option of using good old frequency modulation...especially if it could run as a background app.

Phil22

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
Of course they will charge for it, Apple is a business and needs all the money it can get. Why would a company give something for free unless it was a charity? How would they pay for the the top executives if they gave applications away? Would you prefer adverts?

Pumapayam

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2009
Transmitter or Receiver?!?!?

I would think you'd need an FM receiver to listen to FM radio, not an FM transmitter.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I would like to see this happen. I use to have a Nokia that had FM radio and I enjoyed having that functionality.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Of course they will charge for it, Apple is a business and needs all the money it can get. Why would a company give something for free unless it was a charity? How would they pay for the the top executives if they gave applications away? Would you prefer adverts?

Because it offers an additional incentive for people to purchase an iPhone/iPod Touch? If true this application will probably be free. Furthermore, with mobile iTunes store integration it will also serve to facilitate impulse iTunes Store purchases.

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
I bet 2G iPhone users will be out of luck again, as we were with 3.0 software update: no tethering, Bluetooth P2P, stereo Bluetooth or MMS while hardware is definitely capable.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
I would think you'd need an FM receiver to listen to FM radio, not an FM transmitter.

Like the story says, they have long had the ability for reception, but a tear down showed it could theoretically transmit.

The Broadcom combination Wi-Fi/Bluetooth chips used in the iPhone and iPod touch have long also had the technical capacity for FM radio reception, with the chip found in the latest iPod touch theoretically also capable of FM radio transmission, although Apple has not as yet taken advantage of these capabilities.

I would love to see this happen.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
oh my. im not sure how i feel about this. i guess it's good? it's been YEARS since i've followed radio stations because i'm so used to listening to my CDs and to mp3 players...although, i have to say i do like certain morning talk shows from my local stations. i hope it's free and i hope it's an addition to the iPod music application already built into the iphone/ipod and not a stand-alone app. we'll see...

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Not on the iPhone, but they would on the iPod Touch due to how things are accounted for - if the function was added to the system firmware and not just as an app store application.

However recent changes to accounting rules might mean that is unnecessary to charge. There will be some stories here over the past month or two about this.

I don't think they'd have to charge for this. While it is adding new features, it is adding a new revenue source. Hence the iTunes Mobile integration.

Please Please Please let this one be real!

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
Thanks Apple, but not interested. Maybe it will draw attention from others, but not me. :rolleyes:

wattsin

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2005
They will not charge for this... They've added it to the Nano... They are not going to sell their premium product without it as well. Unless they are coming out with a new iPod touch. Which they just did...

Apple will give it away, make friends in the process. And remove a nagging bullet point that the Zune has and iPod doesn't.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
I have the iheartradio app now so this is not that exciting, but cool none-the-less for all the stations I don't listen to.

fimac

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2006
Finland
Sounds useful.

I would love for Apple to offer an API for playing Internet radio stations in the background.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.