Apple Directors Informally Exploring CEO Succession Possibilities

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Not sure why this is news. It would be shocking if Apple and its board didn't have a plan of some sort.

Masterotas

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Garbage news on the day of earnings. Let's make these earnings good. Come on AAPL, papa needs a new Mercedes :D
Apple to 600!!

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Not sure why this is news. It would be shocking if Apple and its board didn't have a plan of some sort.
Exactly, kilcher.

Anyone who thinks there isn't already a succession plan in place clearly doesn't know the first thing about corporate governance. This is MBA-501 material here, guys....

This story is nothing but a little old fashion stock price manipulation.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Amazing how this news comes out only 30 minutes before the quarterly earnings call. Well done, competitors...
Yeah... seems unlikely unless SJ wants to step down for health reasons. Why would the board look to replace the guy that has clearly made Apple what it is today.... and the board members massively rich? Makes no sense.

However... just in case, I am keeping my cell phone close in case they are looking and a recruiter tries to call. :p

satkin2

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
A sensible move, even if he recovers from his current health issues. There will at some point in the future be a time when he isn't able to run the company, for whatever reason. It would be foolish not to at least consider the future. Apple have established themselves over the past few years as one of, if not the most formidable technology companies on the planet. They have to make sure that they don't blow that position.

shompa

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Tim Cook has done a great job.

But I want Jonathan Ive. He has the same visions as Jobs.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Jobs' replacement is probably the hardest decision apple will ever make in their entire history.

The rest of them were clearly clueless and got him back after he left.

His visionary is extraordinary, people think they just employ a bunch of clever people, they do, but jobs has ideas that are rare and the ability to appoint the right people for the job.

It was his vision that saw the potential of a GUI and pointer devices. He present new ways of selling in store and he appointed Jonathan Ive, genius and from my home town :D Then of course came the powebook, ipod, macbook, iphone and ipad, all when jobs returned.

Sure he hasn't played as much of an active role in recent years with his health especially, but he is the apple brand, even if we don't know much about his past we know he drives apple forward. What we don't want is another Steve Ballmer.

Dam hard decision, but it has to be made. I'm very sorry for him and his family with regards to his health. I lost someone close to me from this recently and i honestly hope he recovers.

//Edit
I'm not sure Tim Cook is right for the job but who am i and what do i know? Well from what i know of him, his work ethic is amongst the highest in the world but that doesn't give him Jobs' visionary. He's passion is defiantly there but i think Jonathan Ive is more matched. I defiantly think the successor MUST come from inside the apple ranks. If they get someone in it will kill the apple family. Regardless of who they hire. Apple is a unique family and you can only drive it if you understand how they tick. The problem is Jonathan Ive is too talented to not be hands on. TOUGH DECISION!

Last edited:

Dilum2444

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
Apple won't be the same without Steve. But when this black day arrives, I hope Apple won't forget Jobs' legacy and honor his vision.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Agree.

How could it be otherwise. Although he appears to be a unique individual, the company must go on. They certainly would be remiss, if not criminal, to wait for him to leave. Like it or not, the company has a legal responsibility to the stockholders to assure continued success as best they can.

miografico

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
We've heard this before.

He could just as well continue in the land of the living for another decade.
Which doesn't mean he can be CEO in name only for another decade either. It is the job of the board to be the main corporate governing body of the organization and answer to stockholders. They have obviously deemed it in the company's best interests to keep the current management structure intact with Jobs having more leeway than would another chief executive at any any other company, but that's not going to last forever.

Don't be surprised if the board amicably (as much as it can be) replaces Jobs officially over the next year. It would be better for the stock in the long run if the word, "acting" was taken away from Tim Cook's bio and made into permanent. He has already proven he can do the job in a permanent and masterful capacity so giving it to someone else would be a horrible decision.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Why would anyone be surprised? Every company does this all the time. You look around, see who would be good to take over what position. You also talk about reassigning job rolls, "If the director steps down, lets promote Glenda to VP of something and give her an assistant. She can do bla and bla but not bla." Steve will take over as director, but you know he can't do bla so lets hire someone to....."