Apple Directors Informally Exploring CEO Succession Possibilities

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 19, 2011.

1. ThetaSigma macrumors regular

I know I'm not the only one, I don't want Steve to go. He's been great, he brought Apple back, he introduced amazing products like the iPod and the iPhone. BUT unfortunately Steve will have to leave Apple at some point, he is after all only human.

I wish Steve all the best in his health, I hope he's getting better :) If he decides to step down, then that's fine...his health is way more important. I hope that Steve has a say in who takes his place. If he's good enough for Steve, that's good enough for me :)

Again, I hope he's feeling better and I would love to see him stay at Apple for longer :)

2. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

1. duh, of course there is some sort of plan.

2. Steve has done a great job for Apple, I would hate to see him go... with that being said Steve got Apple to where it is today. Does Steve have it in him to take Apple to where it needs to be in 20 years? He envisioned where technology needed to be today, that doesnt mean that he has a vision of where tech needs to be in 20 years. It may be time for someone younger with new ideas to come along... that person needs to have the same basic way of thinking that Steve has to keep Apple on a great track. Pick carefully Apple...

3. LagunaSol macrumors 601

LagunaSol

What a shocker. WSJ runs this "story" the day Apple announces earnings and the stock has been on a run?

More classic AAPL manipulation by the dirtbags on Wall Street. Good thing I invest for the long term.

4. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I would LOVE to see Jonathen Ive, rather than Steve Cook:cool:

5. mbh macrumors 6502

Somewhere Jim Cramer is fomenting his little heart out.

6. firewood macrumors 604

As long as I also get 3 months paid-for use of his private Gulfstream plus a corner of his office space. (And I'm great at telling people what not to do.)

7. emulator macrumors 6502a

emulator

Have you? Get a new translator.

8. LagunaSol macrumors 601

LagunaSol

Ive is a designer, Cook is a manager. Cook is the man for this job. Though Ive's importance cannot be discounted.

9. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

I don't think Apple needs to worry about who the CEO is after Jobs--I think they need to worry more about who "sells" the product to the customers. Steve Jobs, especially ever since the iPod unveiling, has always given pretty legendary sales pitches.

Steve Jobs didn't invent the iPod, he just ok'd it. They need to get a CEO who knows what to ok and what to reject. The rest of management can handle the rest.

10. Takeo macrumors 6502a

11. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Until now!

12. miografico macrumors member

I think you're taking the job of CEO of a publicly traded multinational corporation and making it akin to managing the local McDonalds. Apple didn't seem to worry too much about who was CEO of the company in the late 80's and early 90's and look how well that worked out.

13. ilogic macrumors regular

Quick, someone add "hogwash" to the official SJ diss generator... :rolleyes:

14. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Apple is already well equipped for the future, removing the element of controversy will bring a fresh balance that is sorely needed.

15. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

That is exactly who I was going to recommend after reading the entire thread. He is as much responsible for the recent success as SJ

16. Enzo Morocioli macrumors newbie

They should just have Steve's brain wave patterns, memories, past experiences and any other sort of personal history uploaded into a secret apple supercomputer. Then write software to allow the database to be self-adaptive, attached to the internet, and able to speak using Steve's voice samples. Then Apple could hire a new CEO but maintain an artificially intelligent "Steve" to bounce ideas off of.

17. bmturney macrumors member

Jobs won't step down until they close the coffin...

Jobs isn't going to step down from his post until the game is over... other than that, there is no news in this "rumor"... ANY company with a CEO with ANY sort of health problems are going to casually start talking about "Hey, what do we do if he doesn't get better"... they have to... it would be irresponsible not to..

18. Soliber macrumors regular

I'm kinda rooting for Tim Cook. The way he can talk about his products in those Apple commercials really kind of remind me of a younger version of Steve Jobs :)
    I do hope they don't just bring someone in from outside the company. As far as I can tell, Apple has a "peculiar" culture inside its walls and I fear that someone from outside the company who has not experienced said culture for a long enough time, could risk making all sorts of dubious decisions.
    The very fact that those directors are seemingly "conspiring" even makes me think that they may not even truly appreciate the Apple work culture.
    Time will tell, I suppose.

19. 50548 Guest

Unfortunately I don't think this is gonna be the case...one year tops is more like it.

20. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Well he has. He looks very thin and frail. I wouldn't lend him any money.

21. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

besides getting stock... that's a big "besides"

22. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

WOW - $7.79 earnings per share / revenue also blew away expectations.

CONGRATULATIONS Steve, the Team & APPLE :D :D :D

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Honestly I see this is a good thing. It would have a much more controlled transition to someone else because lets face facts. SJ health is not very good and has not been good for a while. It would be much better to have someone else become the CEO. Hell I would not be surpised at all if SJ has not been really running the company for a while and is more of a figure head, It has been Cook that has been doing the normal CEO stuff for the most part. might as well make it official and get it over with.

This does not mean SJ leaves the company just he is not the CEO any more.

24. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Fortunately he neither needs nor wants a loan from you.

25. macnchiefs macrumors regular

Common Sense

Of course they've talked about it. It's their job to do so. If they hadn't been doing it these past few years than the board is full of complete idiots, which we know it's not.

Now, just because they haven't been telling the media/us doesn't mean they haven't done it. In fact, they don't even have to tell Jobs they've been doing it. They do it because it's prudent for the share holders/bond holders who are their bosses.