Apple Directors Informally Exploring CEO Succession Possibilities

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 19, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Wall Street Journal reports that some member of Apple's board of directors have informally been exploring possibilities for CEO succession should Steve Jobs permanently step down from his position.

[​IMG]

Jobs has taken several medical leaves of absence over the past few years, the most recent of which began in January and has continued indefinitely. Jobs has however, made several public appearances at Apple media events to introduce new products.
    The report notes that Apple's directors have long taken executive succession plans seriously, routinely holding private sessions at every board meeting to discuss the topic and update plans.
    Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook, who has been in charge of Apple's day-to-day operations in Jobs' absence, is still considered to be a top candidate for the job, but directors are understandably exploring all options and reaching out to multiple channels in order to help make the most informed decision possible.

The report suggests that at least some of the external discussions have been initiated by recruiters themselves, although the talks are said to have progressed beyond the routine contact directors normally have with such firms. Jobs has of course given no indication that he plans to step down permanently, and so discussions appear to so far be informal and preparatory in nature should the situation change.

Article Link: Apple Directors Informally Exploring CEO Succession Possibilities

2. MBP13 macrumors 6502

MBP13

I wonder if Steve will help choose the next CEO of Apple if he does choose to step down soon?

3. FriarNurgle macrumors regular

FriarNurgle

Hire me. I look great in jeans and a black mock turtleneck. Plus I'd be happy with just a small fraction of the current CEO's compensation.

4. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

besides getting stock.. he only makes $1 from Apple... a YEAR

5. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

which is less than $1 ? :eek:

6. ReddDraggon macrumors member

Job's "compensation" is only $1, no?

7. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Ha, imagine getting a call from a recruiter about this position.

8. Broojo02 macrumors member

Broojo02

I swore in the old preview pictures for keynotes they just showed steve jobs, in the most recent one they have split it over three people, I see this as a psychological attempt to get us to be used to not seeing steve jobs the centre of attention and get us used to other "lesser" beings :p

[​IMG]

9. fishmoose macrumors 68000

How can you read this article for free? I refuse to give Murdoch any of my money.

On the article, I doubt the board doesn't know whom will replace Jobs.

10. crpchristian macrumors member

As much as I would want that job, I wouldn't want that job. It is such a particular combination of qualities that make up what Steve Jobs has been to Apple. I don't mean to by cynical but I doubt they are going to get someone who doesn't feel like a step back. I'm not just saying this as if I think Steve Jobs is some magical being. He's just a human being but... he was so pushed and inspired, he built it from nothing to what it is today. I fear that they are just going to get 'a decent corporate executive'.

11. haydn! macrumors 6502a

Is it Cook that's currently running the ship? Surely he'd be first in line?

12. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

We've heard this before.

He could just as well continue in the land of the living for another decade.

13. gibbz macrumors 68030

His salary is $1. His compensation comes in the form of stock options and jet use.

14. Popeye206 macrumors 68040

Popeye206

They should hire a seasoned CEO from a strong brand company like Pepsi. :p

15. Jerome Morrow macrumors 6502a

Jerome Morrow

16. crpchristian macrumors member

When you are that wealthy you are kinda beyond getting a salary. Even if he made a million a year it would be pretty tiny compared to his actual total wealth.

17. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Correct - it is called PAY for PERFORMANCE - a forgotten concept to many.

18. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Good idea. I've heard they are good at keeping the right talent and forcing the bad ones out.

19. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

20. Rocketman, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

21. edenwaith macrumors 6502a

edenwaith

Blast from the past

They're going to bring back John Sculley. Or David Lee Roth. Take your pick.

22. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Apple are a business. Of course they are talking about succession plans. It would be foolhardy not to.

23. dangcookie macrumors newbie

On earnings day? Coincidence?

Thanks for the latest panic report, stock price manipulators. You arrived right on time, as predicted. What I really meant to say is: this is disingenuous crap.

24. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

No matter who the next CEO they won't have the vision that Steve has. However Apple is full of very talented people who have Steve's work ethic and philosophies in them. I believe Steve has built a great foundation for Apple to move forward and for someone like Cook to become the permanent CEO. However I hope Steve is CEO for years to come.