Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I'm not stupid, I get that. But understand other developers are watching. Developers have been blocked from the store for extremely stupid reasons in the past, do you think they see this and think "Oh, it would be smart of me to use Sign in with Apple and give Apple even more control of our users"?
You are missing the point. Sign in with Apple was not created to make developers' lives easier. It was created to give users more security when using a sign-in service, something I, personally, have chosen NEVER to do using Google or Facebook. As a customer I want to see Sign in with Apple used more often because I feel more secure using it and developers want to provide services that I expect to see to secure me as a customer.

That said, I do believe Apple's move here to use Sign in with Apple as a tool in its conflict with Epic is going to do more harm to Sign in with Apple and the faith customers like me have in it than it will to Epic. I largely side with Apple in this legal challenge with Epic though I would like to see all of the on-line Stores lower their cut from 30% as I think times have changed; that is my opinion. This move to turn off Sign in with Apple, however, could well not help Apple's cause as it directly alienates Apple customers.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I think at this point, Epic should just cave in and revert their billing feature for the time being. They did enough collateral damage, convincing many that Apple has become the "big brother". They have become a Billionaire Robin Hood. Well intended, but you can't outright violate the contract you agreed to. Meanwhile, customers are suffering purely based on Epic's action.

• Disagree
Reactions: snek and Zellio

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
I was under impression user will still be able to play Fortnite, even without any update.

But disabling Apple sign in means User who used Apple Sign in to create their account are now not even able to log in.

This is not exactly what I signed up for with Apple ID.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
What? They clearly have their own sign in service, they are cross platform and had it before SiwA ever existed. What is your point again?

I've never used Sign in With Apple, actually, I don't think I ever will.

I thought it was clear. iOS has rules about when you have to use Sign in With Apple.

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
You are missing the point. Sign in with Apple was not created to make developers' lives easier. It was created to give users more security when using a sign-in service, something I, personally, have chosen NEVER to do using Google or Facebook. As a customer I want to see Sign in with Apple used more often because I feel more secure using it and developers want to provide services that I expect to see to secure me as a customer.

That said, I do believe Apple's move here to use Sign in with Apple as a tool in its conflict with Epic is going to do more harm to Sign in with Apple and the faith customers like me have in it than it will to Epic. I largely side with Apple in this though I would like to see all of the on-line Stores lower their cut from 30% as I think times have changed; that is an opinion. This move to turn off Sign in with Apple, however, could well not help Apple's cause as it directly alienates Apple customers.

Created to give users more security.....

Everything Apple does, they always claim is pro-user, pro-security, pro-privacy
Its giving Apple more data and control (and taking it away from developers). In 2020, Data is king. They just aren't letting others collect that data.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Totally agree! It's one of the reasons why I choose to make accounts with each service/vendor instead of signing in with Apple, Google, or Facebook. More control over account access and security!
I can see this but I don't see it as exactly the same. I could post something Facebook objected to and they delete me. This would mean my sign in with Facebook on Fortnite would be terminated due to an unrelated post I made on Facebook. In this case the termination is due to Epic purposely knowing they were violating the TOS with the app the sign in works on. They knew ahead of time the app would be pulled.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
How about just say devs that purposely violate the TOS can have their apps removed from the App store. Apple isn't killing anyone by this by punching, stabbing, shooting or any means. I don't think anyone at Epic is going to die from this temporary loss of funds. It's not disgust but rather amazement that someone could even relate this... It's a legal battle in civil court.

Every year there are a lot of good, hardworking people that see their company fail due to no fault of their own. I really have not issue seeing one fail because they broke rules. I hope Apple wins and the judge forces Epic to pay Apple all fees they would have earned had Epic games been on the store, any losses due to people leaving the iOS platform since Epic snuck their their payment structure in (regardless if they downloaded Fortnight), plus a set fee per every view of every article written about the case, plus a fee to punish epic for the behavior. So many good apps on the app store that deserve Epic's marketshare more than they do.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Fortnite is no longer an App available in the App store because of Epics actions. Why should Apple continue to support a game they receive $0 from?

Is the game even really playable on IOS anymore?

Over 60% of Apple’s profits come from sales of the iPhone, or did you forget that?

Revenue and profits from the iOS App Store are tiny by comparison.

Apple is going out of their way to inconvenience people with iPhones and ensure that those people switch to Androids. They’re really focused on nickel and diming customers who were already paying hundreds of dollars per year for the hardware.

This is fantastically stupid on Apple’s part.

They need anybody who thinks about the customer in their C-suite. They’ve lost both Jobs and Ives - Cook’s strength was never in understanding how to keep customers happy.

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
Epic Makes Billions of Dollars.This is what happens when your too greedy
Greed Kills

Just pay apple there 30%, Who Cares ?

Now you get 0

I agree, reminds me when Steve Jobs went to the music industry and said their is another way to sell music other than selling a $15 dollar CD and they had a hard time understanding and they were mad at nastier downloads. Steve said you use to sell single records and you made money not just complete albums. You can create a secure file and host it on a secure server and let the end user have access to it from 5 devices and let the user burn the music to a CD 10 times. This was the beginning of the Apple and App Store.

Apple said we will do all the computer technology and server stuff just give us 10 percent. I still remember customers tell me when I sold the original iPods that Apple was crazy, because I could go to a Russian website and down load a song for a penny. I had to tell them that the Artist was not getting paid for his work or how do you know that the file did not have a virus attached to it.

Had customers tell me they could never attach a virus to a music file. And it was safe and secure to give them my credit card information. Boy people were so naive back then and some are still to this day.

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Fortnite is no longer an App available in the App store because of Epics actions. Why should Apple continue to support a game they receive $0 from?

Is the game even really playable on IOS anymore?
All good points, and if the game is not really playable then why does Apple need to take this extra step? How does Apple showing they are willing to use Sign in with Apple as a tool to punish developers, and Apple customers, help their argument? This tactic may just be drawing unnecessary, negative attention to one of the possible downsides of the Apple service. Right or wrong, it just looks bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atlantico

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Every year there are a lot of good, hardworking people that see their company fail due to no fault of their own. I really have not issue seeing one fail because they broke rules. I hope Apple wins and the judge forces Epic to pay Apple all fees they would have earned had Epic games been on the store, plus a set fee per every view of every article written about the case, plus a fee to punish epic for the behavior. So many good apps on the app store that deserve Epic's marketshare more than they do.
I understand where you're coming from but you have to look at where Epic is coming from. They don't care about iPhone or the security of the App Store. They are a business that cares about their profits and rightfully so. They see this as a chance for a significant profit increase at the expense of Apple. I don't agree with Epic at all but that's just my personal opinion.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
To all you Apple pros stating that epic broke contract etc. I bet every sum in the universe - everyone of you has broken some rules or contract on purpose or by chance.
Do you guys really wanna live in a world where companies more and more dictate great parts of our lives because of their ‚rules‘ or ‚contracts‘.
I am even almost sure no one ever read and understand the whole Apple AGBs you have to accept using their software, etc.

You need to learn what it means to enter a contract, its a big deal with real-world consequences.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I understand where you're coming from but you have to look at where Epic is coming from. They don't care about iPhone or the security of the App Store. They are a business that cares about their profits and rightfully so. They see this as a chance for a significant profit increase at the expense of Apple. I don't agree with Epic at all but that's just my personal opinion.

I agree with you. I see Epic's behavior as bad for me specifically, in multiple ways, and so I hope to see them forced to make good on restitution. Maybe make them subsidize iPhone 12's for all customers who want one.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
This just reminds other developers that if they rely on too many Apple services, Apple can kneel on their necks anytime they want..... it really feels more like intimidation efforts towards other developers at this point to keep them in line.
no different than facebook disabling signups if it detects a huge number of users in a short period of time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.