Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Now that Epic Games' developer account has been terminated, Apple is also ending access to other services, such as Sign in with Apple. According to Epic Games, Apple will no longer let users sign in to Epic Games using Sign in with Apple as of September 11, which is in two days.

fortnite-apple-logo-2.5.jpg

Epic says that customers who use Sign in with Apple to access their Epic Games accounts should make sure their email and password are up to date, and the company is offering an FAQ on how to update an account email address and password so Epic Games users don't lose access to their accounts.

Customers who do not update to a standard email address and password will not be able to log in to their accounts, but after September 11, those who did not transition from Sign in with Apple may be able to contact Epic Games to have their accounts recovered manually.

Sign in with Apple is a feature that allows Apple device users to sign in to accounts and services using their Apple ID, with that info obscured from the website or service for privacy purposes. It's similar to Google and Facebook account sign in options, but with Apple promising greater privacy through options like Hide My Email.

The feature was introduced as part of iOS 13 and apps and services have been adopting it since then. Apple requires any app that uses Google and Facebook login options to also offer Sign in with Apple.

Update: According to Epic Games, Apple is providing an "indefinite extension" and will not be ending access to Sign in With Apple.

Article Link: Apple Disabling 'Sign in with Apple' for Epic Games on September 11 [Updated]

Last edited:
Reactions: brkage

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2013
Sounds like it would have been much smarter to revert the change to the app back to in app payments with Apple and then fight it in court. How many users are going to now get locked out and not care to be bothered calling to get back in and just find a new toy to play with?

I guess this does all hinge on whether or not Sign In with Apple was popular or not though.

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
This just reminds other developers that if they rely on too many Apple services, Apple can kneel on their necks anytime they want..... it really feels more like intimidation efforts towards other developers at this point to keep them in line.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
This just reminds other developers that if they rely on too many Apple services, Apple can kneel on their necks anytime they want..... it really feels more like intimidation efforts towards other developers at this point to keep them in line.

It's a feature Apple offers. Epic Games is no longer a developer because they breached their contract. I don't see the problem in this. Anyone with an App likely will continue paying their $99 a year unless, ya know, they breach their contract and hotfix in a way to bypass Apples payment systems.

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
It's a feature Apple offers. Epic Games is no longer a developer because they breached their contract. I don't see the problem in this. Anyone with an App likely will continue paying their $99 a year unless, ya know, they breach their contract and hotfix in a way to bypass Apples payment systems.

I'm not stupid, I get that. But understand other developers are watching. Developers have been blocked from the store for extremely stupid reasons in the past, do you think they see this and think "Oh, it would be smart of me to use Sign in with Apple and give Apple even more control of our users"?

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Apple's approach here feels a step-too-far as it is likely to affect Apple customers negatively in a way that they can only be linked directly back to Apple. That and the precedent being set, as stated in a previous post, that Sign in with Apple is possibly not as reliable as other options.

Hopefully Apple rethinks escalating in this way. I cannot see how this does not start to look like Apple is willing to sacrifice customer experience to make a point I believe has already been made. Move it to the courts to be settled.

Last edited by a moderator:

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
I'm not stupid, I get that. But understand other developers are watching. Developers have been blocked from the store for extremely stupid reasons in the past, do you think they see this and think "Oh, it would be smart of me to use Sign in with Apple and give Apple even more control of our users"?

Do you think those other developers are in the same boat as Epic?

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Hmm... does add some risk to the whole Sign in with Apple thing.

Yeah. If I use sign with Apple I may be cut off by Apple.
I mean, if I'm a small developer and they remove my app I'm screwed anyway, but after this decision a bigger company may postpone the adoption of sign with Apple.

I'm not siding with Epic on this legal dispute, but I don't like Apple's response, particularly as a developer.
They pointed out that Epic uses their API, the store, was reviewed many times so is like Apple wasted time with them. I'm a developer too, and I have free apps on the store (free apps, no digital content sold), does this mean I have no value for Apple? The very existence of apps (not talking about my apps of course) is what makes the iPhone a great device.
Maybe their stance is needed for the legal battle, but is really bad PR.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Apple's approach here feels a step-too-far as it is likely to affect Apple customers negatively in a way that they can only be linked directly back to Apple. That and the precedent being set, as stated in a previous post, that Sign in with Apple is possibly not as reliable as other options.

Hopefully Apple rethinks escalating in this way. I cannot see how this does not start to look like Apple is willing to sacrifice customer experience to make a point I believe has already been made. Move it to the courts to be settled.

Fortnite is no longer an App available in the App store because of Epics actions. Why should Apple continue to support a game they receive $0 from?

Is the game even really playable on IOS anymore?

Last edited by a moderator:

Romeo_Nightfall

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2018
Vienna
To all you Apple pros stating that epic broke contract etc. I bet every sum in the universe - everyone of you has broken some rules or contract on purpose or by chance.
Do you guys really wanna live in a world where companies more and more dictate great parts of our lives because of their ‚rules‘ or ‚contracts‘.
I am even almost sure no one ever read and understand the whole Apple AGBs you have to accept using their software, etc.

It’s an App Store not the UNO, Apple is defending just profit not anything of real worth or value.

please consider this in your evaluation and statements!

and also consider if I leave Apple which I already tried I can only go to google - so you consider that really as an option? We have here a situation where the USA has established a worldwide duopoly - you can’t get away, so the minimum would be some kind of choice whom you flip your coins!

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011

They don't have to use Sign in with Apple, but that means they have build their own sign in service. They can't just use Facebook or Google instead. I can't speak for others but if an App requires me to create an account with them then they better have a really good reason - and we don't want to offer Sign In With Apple isn't a good one.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
To all you Apple pros stating that epic broke contract etc. I bet every sum in the universe - everyone of you has broken some rules or contract on purpose or by chance.
Do you guys really wanna live in a world where companies more and more dictate great parts of our lives because of their ‚rules‘ or ‚contracts‘.
I am even almost sure no one ever read and understand the whole Apple AGBs you have to accept using their software, etc.

It’s an App Store not the UNO, Apple is defending just profit not anything of real worth or value.

please consider this in your evaluation and statements!

and also consider if I leave Apple which I already tried I can only go to google - so you consider that really as an option? We have here a situation where the USA has established a worldwide duopoly - you can’t get away, so the minimum would be some kind of choice whom you flip your coins!

Let's see -

Sent emails wanting a sidedeal (which didn't happen)
Submitted an update secretly adding in a hotfix
E-mailed Apple and essentially told them to screw off
Epic posts a video mocking apple
Epic tries to get pre-teens to rally against them
Files a lawsuit
Continues to drag Apple through the mud posting false information (because of Apple you can't play the newest season)

and yet, all they need to do is remove a line of code and all is well.

Instead, this happens. What other developer did this?

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
They don't have to use Sign in with Apple, but that means they have build their own sign in service. They can't just use Facebook or Google instead. I can't speak for others but if an App requires me to create an account with them then they better have a really good reason - and we don't want to offer Sign In With Apple isn't a good one.

What? They clearly have their own sign in service, they are cross platform and had it before SiwA ever existed. What is your point again?

I've never used Sign in With Apple, actually, I don't think I ever will.

edgonzalez32

Suspended
Jul 21, 2011
That goes for any service really. It's why I always try to rely more on 3rd party services rather than dumping everything into a single company. Especially when it comes to these "sign in with" options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.