Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
So let me get this straight...Apple recently built a huge multi-billion dollar data center for potential use for a service that they would give away for free? Yeah, right! :rolleyes: MobileMe will always be a paid service

Not if they want to go head-to-head with Gmail, Gcalendar, YouTube (Vimeo-like service is rumored), and Foursquare (also rumored).

However, I wouldn't be surprised if web hosting remains a paid service and would be impressed if online photo galleries become free (look out Flickr).

KENTW

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
Thinking probably free email but with some kind of iAds integration, free cal, free address and maybe 2gig iDisk. Paid service will be add free email and usual 20gig iDisk. Makes sense for apple to start tempting everyone to MobileMe with a free service.

Trooperof3

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
HAHAHAHA.

Sorry, but it makes me laugh, The start giving away mobileme for free, yet just released Facetime for 99 cents.

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
the potential for MobileMe is limitless. This will probably be the "major" part of the iPad 2 announcement as it expands usefulness and effectiveness of the device to act as a full laptop replacement.

deadkennedy

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
NOT buying it Apple. Seeing what happened with the latest Greed Tax, buying into a MobileMe scam could seriously damage your data and wallet.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
I hope it goes free because everyone knows you can get a MUCH cheaper version from Amazon for $65. I've never paid $99 for MobileMe!
You can get it a lot cheaper than that. Search Ebay, pick one of the non-family pack versions. I was impatient and grabbed one for $45 last fall. They can be had cheaper if you really look around.

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
Not if they want to go head-to-head with Gmail, Gcalendar, YouTube (Vimeo-like service is rumored), and Foursquare (also rumored).

However, I wouldn't be surprised if web hosting remains a paid service and would be impressed if online photo galleries become free (look out Flickr).

and with all the iDevice sales they can afford to go free and make their devices even more valuable.

lshaner

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2007
The out of the box experience for a new Mac offers a free 60 day trial, so that alone obviates any need for a retail boxed version of Mobile Me.

n4uaj

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2011
Free sounds good to me! I would like to see them prorate what's left on my family pack and just throw it on the iTunes store as a credit:)

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
So let me get this straight...Apple recently built a huge multi-billion dollar data center for potential use for a service that they would give away for free? Yeah, right! :rolleyes: MobileMe will always be a paid service

HAHAHAHA.

Sorry, but it makes me laugh, The start giving away mobileme for free, yet just released Facetime for 99 cents. It comes free with every mac.

+1 Apple loves money. But, then again, they overprice all of their products, so all the extra money that they make could go towards the free MobileMe. Or, they could just offer it, for free, to people who are buying a new Mac.

Last edited:

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Since all I used mobilme for was syncing contacts and limited e-mail, it wasn't worth $99 a year so I took my credit card info off so it couldn't renew. IF mobilme has tiered pricing for those of us who don't use all the capabilities, I will go back and sign up again. But I am talking about max $20 per year for the little that I use it.

WalrusCP

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
Washington, DC
Personally, I think there will be a basic free membership and a premium/pro membership. If Apple is smart, the pro membership will drop in price to $50-60. I think that would make just about everybody happy.

Jony Mac

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Went to Apple's Web Store and did a search for MobileMe. Nothing came up.. Hmmm.
"
Your Apple Store search request had no matches. Please double check that all words are spelled correctly or try different (more general) keywords. For your assistance, we've provided links to commonly requested information below.

Find an Apple Retail Store near you.
Buy music. Download iTunes.
Get special deals on Apple Certified refurbished products."

rdb1976

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
If They Make MobileMe Free

When Apple bought the online music streaming network Lala and shut it down, the people that had bought subscriptions were given equivalent credit on the iTunes Store. I'm assuming Apple would do the same those of us that paid for MobileMe.

KENTW

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
Went to Apple's Web Store and did a search for MobileMe. Nothing came up.. Hmmm.
"
Your Apple Store search request had no matches. Please double check that all words are spelled correctly or try different (more general) keywords. For your assistance, we've provided links to commonly requested information below.

Find an Apple Retail Store near you.
Buy music. Download iTunes.
Get special deals on Apple Certified refurbished products."

ME is still there: http://www.apple.com/uk/mobileme/

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Great, so for those of us who have paid through a few years as we purchased it with an iPhone or such, do we get reimbursed?! :mad:

rfahey

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
If they're going to make it free i hope it's soon because my sub comes up for renewal this summer!

agent_zero

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2003
Just saw this...forgive me if redundant

http://www.me.com web apps Maintenance - 02/24/2011 22:00-22:30 PT
Due to scheduled maintenance, some MobileMe members may be intermittently unable to access MobileMe applications at me.com. Members will still be able to access MobileMe Mail using a mail application on their Mac, PC, iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Normal service is expected to be restored at the end of the maintenance window. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
MobileMe has become expensive for what it provides, not to mention lackluster.

It should come free with OSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.