Apple Discounts Cinema Displays

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
If they drop another $300 I'll consider buying one.
Yup, considering the Dell displays are of similar quality (in the important respects), and have more features (multiple inputs is the #1). The casing is quite as nice, but by no means ugly... hard worth several hundred dollars, though.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
No price change in Finland store; however, no 8-cores either.

EDIT:

Makes me really sad if they don't drop euro prices as well. Take 20" Cinema Display for example; currently 599USD equals 450 euros, and +22% tax makes it 550 euros. But the Apple store sells it for 799 euros, which makes it 250 euros (or 45%) too expensive.

:(

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Yup, considering the Dell displays are of similar quality (in the important respects), and have more features (multiple inputs is the #1). The casing is quite as nice, but by no means ugly... hard worth several hundred dollars, though.
Agreed - the single input on the Apple monitors is the #1 reason why I won't consider one. #2 is price. C'mon :apple:

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Why is Europe getting short-changed here? No Octo-Macs, no reduced prices on the screens... What gives?

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Prices for those who qualify for the education discount in the US:

20" - $549
23" - $799
30" - $1,599

At that price, the 23" one is actually pretty reasonable now since it uses an S-IPS panel. Most of the 24" competition uses PVA... or worse, TN panels.

The new NEC 2490 is S-IPS and supposedly has very good color reproduction, but costs around $1500

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
The colorsync profiles, the lack of display controls (acutally a POSITIVE for Color Management) and the more finely tuned LUT's make the ACD a BETTER buy than the dells for Print Production Graphics work -- FOR SURE.

I have both here in our studio.

$900.00 for a 23 inch monitor is not cheap.
It is reasonable given the specs: IPS Panel, Colorsync SWOP Certification, Better LUT's than a Dell, and LACK of DISPLAY CONTROLS, which is actually a positive for color management.

Agreed - the single input on the Apple monitors is the #1 reason why I won't consider one. #2 is price. C'mon :apple:
For the high end Print Production Work I do, I would NEVER consider the Dell.

Ever.

That insane. Even with price drops the Dell widescreen 20 inch is over 300 dollars cheaper.
It is not nearly as good of a monitor for Graphics and Print Production where SWOP color match is important. I would be in court with that Dell -- that's insane!

Gladly pay the extra $300 bucks.

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
What's weird on the store site is their links to the gallery and tech specs. They just link to their respective pages outside of the store.

All other products have new pages in the store or whatever that are self-contained. None of this clicking for a pop-up window business. The window size isn't even good.

I think Apple is going to release some sort of new displays soon. Maybe not NAB, but soon. WWDC?

The way their store site is oriented is totally opposite the rest of their hardware products. There will be new displays soon.

-=|Mgkwho

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Discounts Cinema Displays

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Alongside the released of the 8-core Mac Pro today, Apple quietly discounted their Apple Cinema Displays. The new prices are as follows:

$599 - 20" Cinema Display
$899 - 23" Cinema Display
$1799 - 30" Cinema Display

The new prices represent $100 discounts for the 20" and 23" and $200 discounts on the 30" Display. Apple last updated the Cinema Displays in August with price drops and improved specifications.

The new prices are reflected at the Apple Store (UK Store).

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I think Apple is going to release some sort of new displays soon. Maybe not NAB, but soon. WWDC?
I think Apple is the only one selling 23" monitors at the moment - and someone that works for NEC posted on another forum that all of the 23" S-IPS panels were EOL (end of life). It wouldn't surprise me if Apple switched out the 23" for a 24" model soon... the big question is, will they use they use the same S-IPS panel that's in the NEC 2490, or are they holding out for one with LED technology.

I also wonder how the 30" Apple display compares to what Dell is offering... considering Dell recently upgraded their 30" model to an improved "high color" version. It may be time for Apple to upgrade that model as well.

wankey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2005
The colorsync profiles, the lack of display controls (acutally a POSITIVE for Color Management) and the more finely tuned LUT's make the ACD a BETTER buy than the dells for Print Production Graphics work -- FOR SURE.

I have both here in our studio.
Lol, gimme a break. I can buy 2 Dell Ultrasharps for 1 Cinema Display. That's double the pixel count. And seriously, all those certifications and what not is definitely not worth double the price. Maybe +100 dollars, but not double.

Lack on controls is a good thing? I see the RDF is affecting you.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
wow, this is great news....at least a step in the right direction. the only thing i don't like is the number of inputs.....but i still might consider getting one of these things this summer......

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
At this rate, the 20" will be $149 by WWDC 2010!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait.

-=|Mgkwho

syklee26

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Prices for those who qualify for the education discount in the US:

20" - $549
23" - $799
30" - $1,599

At that price, the 23" one is actually pretty reasonable now since it uses an S-IPS panel. Most of the 24" competition uses PVA... or worse, TN panels.

The new NEC 2490 is S-IPS and supposedly has very good color reproduction, but costs around $1500

can you explain the difference?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.