Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Inverse's Raymond Wong today published an in-depth overview of Apple's increasing push towards high-end gaming on the Mac. The story includes commentary from Apple marketing managers Gordon Keppel and Leland Martin.

Mac-Gaming.jpg

One of the biggest reasons that gaming has improved on the Mac in recent years is the switch from Intel processors to Apple silicon, resulting in MacBooks providing industry-leading performance-per-watt. In addition, the latest M3, M3 Pro, and M3 Max chips for the Mac feature hardware-accelerated ray tracing and mesh shading for improved graphics rendering, which is especially beneficial for high-end AAA games.

"Now, every Mac that ships with Apple silicon can play AAA games pretty fantastically," said Keppel. "Apple silicon has been transformative of our mainstream systems that got tremendous boosts in graphics with M1, M2, and now with M3."

Apple silicon also results in the Mac having the same underlying hardware architecture as the iPhone and iPad, simplifying the development process.

"If you look at the Mac lineup just a few years ago, there was a mix of both integrated and discrete GPUs," said Martin. "That can add complexity when you're developing games. Because you have multiple different hardware permutations to consider. Today, we've effectively eliminated that completely with Apple silicon, creating a unified gaming platform now across iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Once a game is designed for one platform, it's a straightforward process to bring it to the other two. We're seeing this play out with games like Resident Evil Village that launched first [on Mac] followed by iPhone and iPad."

A new technology built into the M3 family of chips is Dynamic Caching, which allows the GPU to allocate memory usage in real time. Apple says this capability "dramatically increases GPU utilization and performance" for demanding apps and games.

Apple has made gaming-related improvements on the software side, too. macOS Sonoma features a new Game Mode that temporarily prioritizes CPU and GPU performance for gaming. Game Mode also lowers AirPods audio latency, and reduces input latency with popular third-party game controllers by doubling the Bluetooth sampling rate.

Earlier this year, Apple released a new toolkit that makes it easier for game developers to port Windows games to the Mac. The toolkit provides an emulation environment that allows developers to run their existing, unmodified Windows game on the Mac and quickly evaluate how well the game could run on macOS before writing any code.

"We've definitely seen interest from developers and publishers like Kojima Productions and Annapurna Interactive Games on how to take advantage of both parts of the Game Porting Toolkit," Martin said. "When you download the toolkit, there's really two parts to it. There's that emulation environment and that's helped demonstrate today's game — you drop in an existing Windows game and see how well it could run on the Mac. The second part is the Metal shader converter and that's there to help developers convert their tens of thousands of shader code into Metal. And they've praised how incredibly useful this is and how it's saved them a bunch of time in their development timeline."

Several high-profile games launched on the Mac this year, including a Resident Evil 4 remake, Resident Evil Village, Stray, and Baldur's Gate 3. Death Stranding Director's Cut and Assassin's Creed Mirage are also expected to launch on the Mac next year.

The full interview at Inverse is a worthwhile read for those interested in gaming on the Mac.

Article Link: Apple Discusses Push Towards High-End Mac Gaming in New Interview

Last edited:

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
is it finally happening?

apple will need to catch up to linux first before thinking of taking on microsoft lmao.

this a reminder that mac os only makes up 1.5% of users on Steam (the biggest PC gaming platform). Linux is at 1.9% and it wasn't long ago that Mac was in 2nd place. Linux is still miles away from touching Windows but it's rising really quickly.

Would be nice to be able to game on Mac but i can't see apple really making a mark with how much they like to lock things down. Linux is quickly becoming a truly viable platform for gaming over Windows.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Not sure about the market, because if you are a gamer you get either a console or a PC, but the M3 next gen GPU has been a push towards a better gaming on a SoC platform. Sure, I don’t think it is competing against PCs with dedicated GPUs, but among the platforms with integrated graphics, Apple is definitely doing a great job.

The M4 or M5 are going to be excellent platforms to port games to. And with more M3, M4 and M5 devices out there, developers will have more interest in developing for them.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
"Now, every Mac that ships with Apple silicon can play AAA games pretty fantastically," said Keppel. "Apple silicon has been transformative of our mainstream systems that got tremendous boosts in graphics with M1, M2, and now with M3."
I'm not sure I'd describe playing AAA games like Baldur's Gate 3 on a base MacBook Pro with regular M3 and 8GB memory "fantastically" when the developer/publisher recommends 16GB memory.

The game's minimum requirements include the M1 processor and 8GB RAM, but the recommended requirements suggest an M1 Pro or better Apple silicon chip and at least 16GB RAM.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I don't get the fascination with gaming on the Mac. You pick tools for the job, and for gaming, the Mac isn't it.

I say that as a non-gamer, though. The extent of my gaming is watching my wife play Zelda.
Of course Mac isn't the tool to play games on...but it could be if Apple take it more seriously. I don't see them really doing anything major on high end desktops/laptops. The good thing about Linux/Windows gaming is you can build a custom PC to run your games on. At best Apple can support eGpus but you are still stuck with whatever CPU/RAM configs Apple decide to sell you. And with the prices apple charge for RAM then it's not going to be affordable. Apple still sells macs with 8GB at base. For gaming you need 16GB at min. Ideally 32GB. In my gaming PC i have 64GB RAM because I've seen a lot of games hit 25GB and while 32GB is fine for now it's only going to become more demanding.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
View attachment 2329927

LOL!

As others have stated here, and in other threads, Apple will need to either buy a studio or start funding some ports to get this party started.
yup they will need to spend money if they want in to high end PC gaming. go down the Epic route maybe? fund game development and exclusivity. Epic = Bad. Apple = Good....right?

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Nintendo Switch still manages to have great games with technology that was behind the iPad back in 2017.

Focusing on games is not about the technology. It’s about the games.

Nintendo has great games. But the games are severely limited by their hardware, as par for the course with Nintendo.

An emulated Switch game on good PC hardware runs circles around what Nintendo offers. You can't even get Zelda TOTK running at 60 FPS on native hardware. Nintendo still thinks 30 FPS (with dips when using some abilities) is somehow a gold standard for their flagship game.

epox999

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
Unless you are getting top developers on board to port their games, and working with Valve to get more things in steam supported on Mac, this is same the old story they trudge out every few years.

Also, never understood this fascination with "performance per watt", zero high end gamers are going to care about anything like that when they are building titantic battlestations for top of the line graphics and framerates.

mukiex

macrumors member
May 31, 2016

Inverse's Raymond Wong today published an in-depth overview of Apple's increasing push towards high-end gaming on the Mac. The story includes commentary from Apple marketing managers Gordon Keppel and Leland Martin.

Mac-Gaming.jpg

One of the biggest reasons that gaming has improved on the Mac in recent years is the switch from Intel processors to Apple silicon, resulting in MacBooks providing industry-leading performance-per-watt. In addition, the latest M3, M3 Pro, and M3 Max chips for the Mac feature hardware-accelerated ray tracing and mesh shading for improved graphics rendering, which is especially beneficial for high-end AAA games.

Apple silicon also results in the Mac having the same underlying hardware architecture as the iPhone and iPad, simplifying the development process.

"If you look at the Mac lineup just a few years ago, there was a mix of both integrated and discrete GPUs," said Martin. "That can add complexity when you're developing games. Because you have multiple different hardware permutations to consider. Today, we've effectively eliminated that completely with Apple silicon, creating a unified gaming platform now across iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Once a game is designed for one platform, it's a straightforward process to bring it to the other two. We're seeing this play out with games like Resident Evil Village that launched first [on Mac] followed by iPhone and iPad."

A new technology built into the M3 family of chips is Dynamic Caching, which allows the GPU to allocate memory usage in real time. Apple says this capability "dramatically increases GPU utilization and performance" for demanding apps and games.

Apple has made gaming-related improvements on the software side, too. macOS Sonoma features a new Game Mode that temporarily prioritizes CPU and GPU performance for gaming. Game Mode also lowers AirPods audio latency, and reduces input latency with popular third-party game controllers by doubling the Bluetooth sampling rate.

Earlier this year, Apple released a new toolkit that makes it easier for game developers to port Windows games to the Mac. The toolkit provides an emulation environment that allows developers to run their existing, unmodified Windows game on the Mac and quickly evaluate how well the game could run on macOS before writing any code.

"We've definitely seen interest from developers and publishers like Kojima Productions and Annapurna Interactive Games on how to take advantage of both parts of the Game Porting Toolkit," Martin said. "When you download the toolkit, there's really two parts to it. There's that emulation environment and that's helped demonstrate today's game — you drop in an existing Windows game and see how well it could run on the Mac. The second part is the Metal shader converter and that's there to help developers convert their tens of thousands of shader code into Metal. And they've praised how incredibly useful this is and how it's saved them a bunch of time in their development timeline."

Several high-profile games launched on the Mac this year, including a Resident Evil 4 remake, Resident Evil Village, Stray, and Baldur's Gate 3. Death Stranding Director's Cut and Assassin's Creed Mirage are also expected to launch on the Mac next year.

The full interview at Inverse is a worthwhile read for those interested in gaming on the Mac.

Article Link: Apple Discusses Push Towards High-End Mac Gaming in New Interview
Make a game.

Make. A game.

Literally everything Apple says is sugary nonsense until the day they make a game.

Epic sells a game engine. They make a game. It allows them to both improve the engine and test its versatility.

Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo all make game platforms. They all make games. It's what allows them to understand the difficulties conceptually.

Apple makes zero games. They have zero skin in the game that is producing game products. That lends them zero credibility in the field, and that won't change until they do.

Rodney Williams

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2020
I'm not into gaming like I used to be when I was younger. I still play, but it's not justified for me to spend money for a high-end Mac just for gaming. Not that serious for me.

Siliconguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2022
Introducing the Pippin II game console.
Or is it iPippin? :p
An M3 Mac mini and you are about there. Although Apple would have the get the price of the 16-512 GB version down to the going rate for consoles. I don't see then dedicated enough to sacrifice that much profit margin.

Reactions: Madd the Sane

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Create an ATV like console competitor that plays PC games/Steam library then you’ve got a market. Bringing PC games to the couch in a sleek way is a slightly untapped market.

I was thinking the same thing. Create an M Chip based ATV, designed to run your home hub and be a gaming console. Apple already has Arcade, expanding to higher end games would be a natural extension. Ideally, games would be ATV/Mac compatible so as to help drive Mac gaming.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
Unless you are getting top developers on board to port their games, and working with Valve to get more things in steam supported on Mac, this is same the old story they trudge out every few years.

Also, never understood this fascination with "performance per watt", zero high end gamers are going to care about anything like that when they are building titantic battlestations for top of the line graphics and framerates.

High-end gamers aren't where the money is; they're niche. The majority of game revenue (console vs computer) is from console games, and I'm sure that the mega high-end machines are a fraction of pc market vs more modest systems. It doesn't take a lot of power to play Minecraft, Stardew Valley or Roblox.

My wife plays some Steam games on her 5 year old PC laptop while doing work Zoom calls.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.