Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is donating $1 million to the American Red Cross to support Hurricane Florence relief efforts, as it routinely does for natural disasters, according to a tweet shared by Apple CEO Tim Cook today.

hurricane-florence-apple.jpg

Apple often accepts Red Cross donations from customers through the App Store and iTunes Store, but it has yet to add banners to either storefront, or Apple.com. We'll update this article if that changes.

The Carolinas are in our hearts. To our employees there, first responders and everyone in Hurricane Florence's path, please stay safe. To help those affected, Apple is donating $1M to the Red Cross. - Tim Cook (@tim_cook) September 14, 2018

Hurricane Florence made landfall in North Carolina earlier today as a Category 1 storm, resulting in destructive winds, rain, and storm surges across the Carolinas and southeastern United States.

Apple most recently accepted Red Cross donations to support wildfire relief efforts in Northern California in August. Last year, Apple donated $5 million to Hand in Hand, in support of Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma relief efforts.

Article Link: Apple Donating $1 Million to American Red Cross as Hurricane Florence Makes Landfall in North Carolina

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Florence is so massive and slow moving. Hope people stay safe. Nice of Apple to donate $ to those in need during this major calamity.

Reactions: Borin and Nick05

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Here come the complaints we always see about how a trillion dollar company could do more. Before complaining, please let us know how much you contributed and how much your company contributed.

I am tempted to donate one million to earn my right to complain. I Need to find a million now...

All joking aside, good on Apple. Anything - even a dollar - is a big help in this situation.

Apache1

macrumors member
May 11, 2017
Cool, I think I'll donate 1/1,000,000th of my net worth as well.

It might be the only rich company that cares about people, the environment and children at the same time. Most people that complain about others giving to charity don't give anything because they would understand giving isn't about the money as much as it is changing peoples hearts about giving.
Stop being a "Negative Nancy" and go helps someone.

JodyBevan

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2017
Belize
The Red Cross, fundraising expenses alone have been as high as 26 cents of every donated dollar, nearly three times the nine cents in overhead claimed by McGovern. In the past five years, fundraising expenses have averaged 17 cents per donated dollar. The president and CEO of the American Red Cross is Gail McGovern, and her base salary has remained $500,000.

Last edited by a moderator:

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Here come the complaints we always see about how a trillion dollar company could do more. Before complaining, please let us know how much you contributed and how much your company contributed.

Doesn't Red Cross have a reputation for actually using a fairly small percentage of donation for its actual relief efforts, while most of it goes to administrative costs? If so, that would be my only complaint.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
I know I do. Comes right out of my paycheck set up through my employer. So technically yes I give more than Apple does.

That was my point. Odds are this $1mil came from their marketing department. It's a $1mil ad more then it is about helping people. But the apple "faithful" won't ever see that. Don't get me wrong, they're under no obligation no donate a cent, I still buy their products regardless as they're the best ones on the market, but at the end of the day an ad is an ad, no matter which company pays for it or how they want to spin it.

If it's truly about the people, then why mention it at all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.