Apple Donating $1 Million to American Red Cross as Hurricane Florence Makes Landfall in North Carolina

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 14, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is donating $1 million to the American Red Cross to support Hurricane Florence relief efforts, as it routinely does for natural disasters, according to a tweet shared by Apple CEO Tim Cook today.

[​IMG]

Apple often accepts Red Cross donations from customers through the App Store and iTunes Store, but it has yet to add banners to either storefront, or Apple.com. We'll update this article if that changes.

Hurricane Florence made landfall in North Carolina earlier today as a Category 1 storm, resulting in destructive winds, rain, and storm surges across the Carolinas and southeastern United States.

Apple most recently accepted Red Cross donations to support wildfire relief efforts in Northern California in August. Last year, Apple donated $5 million to Hand in Hand, in support of Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma relief efforts.

Article Link: Apple Donating $1 Million to American Red Cross as Hurricane Florence Makes Landfall in North Carolina

2. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Greedy Apple, why not $2 million? /s
    Good to see them supporting this disaster.

3. nviz22 macrumors 601

nviz22

Florence is so massive and slow moving. Hope people stay safe. Nice of Apple to donate $ to those in need during this major calamity.

4. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

Here come the complaints we always see about how a trillion dollar company could do more. Before complaining, please let us know how much you contributed and how much your company contributed.

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

I am tempted to donate one million to earn my right to complain. I Need to find a million now...

All joking aside, good on Apple. Anything - even a dollar - is a big help in this situation.

6. EvilEvil macrumors 6502a

EvilEvil

Hurricane victims will be lucky to see 95% of donations to the Red Cross.

7. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Can't wait for everyone to take a dump on this $1 million donation because "they could afford more".

8. Bollockser macrumors regular

Cool, I think I'll donate 1/1,000,000th of my net worth as well.

9. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

Wow, that's almost enough to buy 3 entire iPhone Xs Max's!

10. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

The fact that almost all the comments so far are similar to this one makes me believe there just might be some validity to this.

11. sam67uk macrumors member

We can afford to donate today as we've just sold 5 million iPhones and Apple watches!

12. Apache1 macrumors member

Apache1

It might be the only rich company that cares about people, the environment and children at the same time. Most people that complain about others giving to charity don't give anything because they would understand giving isn't about the money as much as it is changing peoples hearts about giving.
    Stop being a "Negative Nancy" and go helps someone.

13. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

14. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

They shouldnt have donated at all. They should spend that money on R&D to actually make computers great again.

15. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

16. bb9 macrumors newbie

bb9

Yes the validity part of these messages (and yours) is “a lot of people thinks that their neighbors should give more while they sit on their collective a$$ and cry why so little!“.

17. corebeliefs macrumors regular

corebeliefs

18. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

I'm pretty sure most people donate more then .0004% of their savings.

19. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Again, you’re assuming you know me. Common mistake on the internet.

20. JodyBevan, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2018

JodyBevan macrumors newbie

JodyBevan

The Red Cross, fundraising expenses alone have been as high as 26 cents of every donated dollar, nearly three times the nine cents in overhead claimed by McGovern. In the past five years, fundraising expenses have averaged 17 cents per donated dollar. The president and CEO of the American Red Cross is Gail McGovern, and her base salary has remained $500,000.

21. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I know I do. Comes right out of my paycheck set up through my employer. So technically yes I give more than Apple does.

22. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

Doesn't Red Cross have a reputation for actually using a fairly small percentage of donation for its actual relief efforts, while most of it goes to administrative costs? If so, that would be my only complaint.

23. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

That was my point. Odds are this $1mil came from their marketing department. It's a $1mil ad more then it is about helping people. But the apple "faithful" won't ever see that. Don't get me wrong, they're under no obligation no donate a cent, I still buy their products regardless as they're the best ones on the market, but at the end of the day an ad is an ad, no matter which company pays for it or how they want to spin it.

If it's truly about the people, then why mention it at all?

24. corebeliefs macrumors regular

corebeliefs

Some people donate 10% every year. And with zero PR coverage.