Apple Drops 2TB iCloud Storage Price to $9.99, Eliminates 1TB Option

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 5, 2017.

1. 0970373 Suspended

This is how automatic cloud backup was born, sort of. So many people were like OH MY GAWD MY PHONE WAS LOST/STOLEN/BROKEN AND I NEVER EVER BACKED IT UP EVER IN MY LIFE BECAUSE HOW DO YOU TECHNOLOGY? lol

And a bunch of people still don't use the most basic and easy parts of backing up but they will get mad at Apple/Google when something happens and they lose everything.

Anyway, I'm also on the 50GB plan and would rather pay for a year in advance. Maybe they like having the monthly income across all subscribers on the P/L statement for investors?

2. nelsonammo macrumors regular

They should really up the free tier to 10 or more gigs. 5gb is like those 16gb iPhones. Just barely enough and meant to annoy people/save the company money.

3. CatalinApple, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017

CatalinApple macrumors regular

CatalinApple

At the moment even the competition doesn't offer 1 TB for $5 but that could change in the future. Apple could change its mind.

How cheap do you want the plans to be? Also, at the moment there is no one among the competitors that offers 2 TB for 9.99 but you can correct me if I am wrong.

Google Photos uses Google Drive which comes with 15 GB free storage. At some point they will have to upgrade their plans if they are running low on storage. "Should have storage to match the device for free. 256 iPad? 256 free. 32gig iPhone? 32 gig free." They will never do that, but they might increase the free plan to 50 or 100 GB, who knows.

4. twobelowpar macrumors regular

No option between 200GB and 2TB?? Gimme a break, Apple.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

My wife's iPad broke. She went to the Apple Store, "Out of warranty repair" for half the price of a new one, I typed in her Apple ID and password, and the WiFi password, and a few minutes later it was up and running. Took a while to re-download all the apps, but no problem at all.

6. JeffPerrin macrumors 6502

JeffPerrin

The problem is when Apple makes it appear to be a necessary part of the experience. ie. nag screens continually telling reminding you to "this device hasn't been backed up in x days". But you can't because you "don't have enough space available in iCloud storage."

If iMessage sync is going to be an integral part of iOS 11, then the free iCloud tier should be adjusted to accommodate such without applying pressure points to the user experience.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

It's not just the storage. It's duplication to make it available if things go wrong, and backups as well. And you want fast storage. Probably a lot of SSDs.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2017 ---
    Of course they don't sell your information. That would be stupid, because they couldn't make money again. Instead they rent it out, again and again and again.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2017 ---
    No, I mean extra storage for bigger phones could be _included_ in the price, not added. Apple's cost is what people are actually using. Lots of people probably bought the most expensive version because it was the most expensive and never use it. Many use it to store music and videos from the app store that don't need backing up. I wrote an app that marks lots of data as "don't back up" because it can be downloaded again if needed.

8. CatalinApple macrumors regular

CatalinApple

If it was to me I would have increased the 200 GB tier plan to 500 GB for the same price 2.99.

9. Cigsm macrumors 6502a

Until they realize those "free" google photos are downsized to small prints.

10. deaddog macrumors member

Ok. With all the talk of iMessage space I was curious but I can't see where in my icloud backup it even lists iMessages? I see it under my device storage but not iCloud.

11. BlandUsername macrumors regular

BlandUsername

I believe the people who want to pay 1K for a new Phone did.

12. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

Completely disagree with that.. maybe they should have a shared folder.. but if I decide to upload my entire desktop or documents to it.. I don't want my little sister to be able to go in and change and see everything that I have. Nor anyone else on my account.

13. shellbryson, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017

shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

The storage looks a bit confused right now. Depending on where I look, it tells me I have either 1Tb or 2Tb plan.

On a 2TB plan (iCloud preferences pane, macOS 10.12.5)

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 14.12.01.png

815Gb free of 1TB (iCloud preferences pane, macOS 10.12.5)

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 14.11.51.png

815Gb free of 1TB... (icloud.com)
    Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 14.12.26.png

Edit: No sign at all of family sharing, which is what I really want.

14. BlandUsername macrumors regular

BlandUsername

If we had numbers that are accurate regarding how many people use the 99 cent option, you might be able to see that they are probably not losing a single cent on that storage. With compression and De-dupe on massive volumes of storage, they have far less disk space tied up than you would think. More than likely 4 or 5 to 1 overall space savings. They arent loosing money on this.

15. RodoBobJon macrumors member

Are you on the beta? I imagine this will be like when they moved the Notes app to the new iCloud system and it waited until all of your devices were updated to a compatible version to do the data migration.

16. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Was ticked that they doubled my space but didn't keep or drop the price on the 1TB option until I saw that you can share data now, which makes it somewhat better for me. People on here will probably say "Why are you complaining about getting more for free?" To them I say this: I had a 200GB plan for years. When I needed to upgrade to the 500GB plan that was like $4.99/mo or $5.99/mo, Apple eliminated it out of the blue. Now I have 250GB of 2TB used. Just because I get more for my money doesn't make it a better deal—I don't use it! It could be 100TB for all I care. I just want a mid-range option again. At least now my wife and grandparents will be able to share their smaller 200GB (60GB used) and 50GB (30GB used) plans on mine.

The thing is, I already pay for Dropbox, and for me, Dropbox has been a lot better than iCloud Drive at storing and backing up files. Has anyone here switched from Dropbox to iCloud Drive for storing files on their Mac? What are the main differences? From what I can tell, I don't think Apple lets you browse and restore old copies of files. I've only done that a few times with Dropbox, but it was so handy! I also don't think Apple lets you have collaborative shared folders, or send someone a file link to download something from iCloud—but I think Mail Drop is their solution around this? However, Mail Drop also limits files to 5GB. Why? I'm paying for 2TB now, so it should just use that storage temporarily for 30 days like Mail Drop does. Or I should be able to just send a link like every other file service. I'm not sure why Apple can't get these simple, basic features into iCloud Drive. Did I miss anything else?

17. TurboPGT! Suspended

I saw my storage doubled today and thought it was a mistake.

I was really hoping to see 1 TB come down in price instead. I really don't want to be paying $9.99/mon when all I need is about 500 GB.

18. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

Soooo is the sharing data option live yet? or no?
    Is it only available for people on iOS 11?? or what?

19. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I would really like to use iCloud storage more. The problem is there is no option to upload and not have the same files on your device.

20. deaddog macrumors member

No not on beta. Just iOS 10.3.2. I just don't see any mention of iMessage space being used in my icloud.

21. azulon1 macrumors newbie

Please how do I get family sharing iCloud storage

22. Ruggy macrumors regular

According to their blurb, it's coming in with family members using High Sierra and IOS11.
    Haha. I wrote to them about this a few months ago. I bet I was one of hundreds though- still seems like they were listening to us.

23. kyleh22 macrumors 6502

kyleh22

Who wouldn't? Let's be honest, we'd all like free unlimited iCloud storage. Overall, I think these prices are fair, but I'm sad to see the removal of the 1TB tier. I feel like 1TB is the tier that would meet the needs of most multi device customers.

24. azulon1 macrumors newbie

So if family member is on iOS 11 he gets the new storage tier? If you have 200 gb tier.

25. Ruggy macrumors regular

It's worth pointing out I think, that when you sign into google photos it signs you into everything!
    Meaning everything you've ever signed up to google for is then live and recording what you do.
    Also, they take copyright over anything you post to their site. They say they would never use anything without your permission but even so, they legally have the right to do what they decide to do with it, and that includes giving it to unspecified third parties.

It's a bit of a shock the first time you realise you've been signed in everywhere for a couple of days because you haven't noticed. Plus, you might want to leave google photos on to automatically back up. But it won't let you only be signed into photos.
    Plus, google are a marketing led company not a hardware led company.
    If you just stop and think for a minute about the picture they can build about you: they have your location wherever you are, every search you do, photos of your family- with facial recognition and the right to use them- all your contacts both personal and work with all their addresses, emails and numbers, your credit card number if you've ever used it on google play and everything you've ever sent by email if you have gmail. I've probably forgotten something.
    OK, maybe it doesn't matter but it still makes me feel very uncomfortable.
    I've gone down the route of having my own server and storing and sharing everything there. It's a bigger investment but it'll work out cheaper in a couple of years and it's all locked up and belongs to just me and mine, password protected, encrypted....