Apple Drops 2TB iCloud Storage Price to $9.99, Eliminates 1TB Option

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 5, 2017.

1. kyleh22 macrumors 6502

kyleh22

Don't know, we'll have to wait for the beta testers to tell us what happens.

2. iMerik macrumors 6502a

I'm curious as well if anyone has tried the 200GB option to see if it is already set up to share across family members even with iOS 10. I'll be consolidating four Apple IDs each paying $.99 down to a single 200GB plan, which will save $.97/month. Eventually upgrading to the top tier of data storage is much easier to stomach when it can be shared across the family group.

3. MarsViolet macrumors 6502

MarsViolet

I stand corrected, but if Google is reading your data, doesn’t that mean that it’s not private?

4. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

Same story with Android. Every single app requires every single permission on your device regardless. It's pathetic.

5. jadot macrumors 6502

jadot

You're not getting this.

You decide on which folders are shared/collaborated on. Like Dropbox. Or One Drive.
    You decide which 'Albums' act as a shared folder that anyone can contribute to.
    Nobody will be able to see the folders you don't share. Any user, or family member can decide which folders they share. Or Don't.

It's fairly easy.

6. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

That's two sides of the same coin. They could lower their margins by including it, but have little incentive to. There isn't a mass market of people screaming for cheaper backups. There aren't competitors that have a better offering. There aren't many people clamoring for it.

7. MrMichaelJames macrumors newbie

I get the not enough storage constantly on my wifes phone and I cannot sort it out. Nothing is set to backup, everything is turned off which means there are defaults that are trying to backup. My phones settings are the same as hers yet her's takes up a ton more space than mine. I'm thinking its text messages and it is trying to backup images within text messages (which is stupid). But even clearing those out doesn't free it all up so I have given up on trying. We use google photos to backup our photos which is all we care about because apple supplies such small amount of space. But now that apple is offering 2TB for the same price as googles 1TB I'm tempted, but what to do with all the images already backed up on one service but not on the phones anymore. Its an issue. I'll probably pull all google photos down to a laptop and then push them up to icloud.

8. ignatius345 macrumors 68020

This is is not helpful. I'm very slowly pushing up against my 200GB limit as my photo library grows, but have no need for 1TB, much less 2TB. Would it kill them to offer a 500GB tier at $5/month?

9. drewyboy macrumors 65816

All their "family" stuff sucks. Honestly, the only thing they got right was the sharing of apps. Don't get even get me started on their "family" photo sharing.

As always, buy them for the hardware, not their services. Far better and cheaper services out there.

10. mtngoatjoe macrumors regular

mtngoatjoe

The problem really isn't uploading photos to the computer, it's sorting the photos and downloading the ones you want to see onto your phone. It's Why oh why can't I tag a photo with a keyword on my iPhone?!?!?!?!?

But regardless, I might bite on the new $10 plan.$120/year is going to be a tough sell to the Finance Minister, but getting access to ALL our photos anytime/anywhere may just do the trick.

11. iDento macrumors 6502

iDento

Ok, so you don't care if your images are manipulated, good for you, you're definitely not the user Apple cares about. I want my images exactly like how they were shot, I am happily paying 0.99$ a month for that, super cheap.

12. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

The $0.99 tier introduces people to the concept of paying Apple a recurring free. Once you get used to it, it's a not such a big leap to pay more for the next tier, because you've been enjoying Apple's 'Services' value-prop for a while.

13. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

14. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

So has this gone live yet?
    I'm not seeing the Family Sharing deal.
    Or is this just available to Beta users?

15. ronf129 macrumors newbie

The .99 plan is awesome. Its for people who would not otherwise utilize iCloud. I have it for both my parents, as a no-brainer backup for their iPads. Its more than enough for what they use it for.

I even ended up getting it for myself, even though I used to prefer backing up locally with iTunes. Once I did get it, I ended up using it quite a bit. When the family plan comes around, I might switch to the $2.99 200GB plan and combine all our storage.

16. edgonzalez32 macrumors 6502

I still prefer Google Drive over Apple. I do have the 50 gb plan for backing up my iPhone but am considering getting the 2TB with Google. I suppose I'm too used to the UI.

17. Agit21 macrumors regular

I'm totally happy with Google photos and it's free. Plus you can access all of your photos and videos from every device easily.

18. trip1ex macrumors 68000

I also do the $.99 option. And now have it for wife and kids.

It's the "I don't really need much space, but need more than 5gb" and "don't really want to pay but this would make life easier" option. Cause backing up to the Mac is a pain in the arse. No doubt they didn't make that a priority.

Sad thing is now it makes this 2 TB family sharing option look like a bargain lol. And I'll probably move up to that if I can move everything to it seamlessly. And then I'll put our Mac photo libraries on it as well.

19. Moi Ici macrumors regular

I do not trust Google. That is why I stick with the apple eco system. It's more spendy, but I value my privacy and security.

20. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Tough decision. Trust Google with my nude pictures or trust Apple to plaster it all over the internet.

21. cliffster82 macrumors 6502

Google charges $2/month for 100 with no lower tier. Apple $.99 for 50 or $3/month for 200. Seems pretty good and files are retained at full size. For an average user who doesn't want Google optimizing their files and seeing all their stuff (i.e. free photo storage), $3 or $36/year is pretty reasonable.

22. iJamesBS macrumors newbie

iJamesBS

Yep!

Unlike Google, Dropbox, Box, OneDrive, etcetera etcetera, Apple had made TONS of money off of selling hardware. And now they want to charge us ridiculous amounts for storing OUR OWN PHOTOS and now MESSAGES???

Insulting. My only hope is that they're doing this because they are paying Google and AWS for their iCloud. I wish they'd just come out and say:

"We have to charge you now, but soon you will be able to save 5Tb in the cloud forever FOR FREE if you've bought any Apple hardware."

I've got over 2 TB of photos after two decades of children growing up. Not only is Apple failing to support me materially with their skimpy plans, but in Tim Cook's promise of keeping photos forever.

Also note that every time Apple drops the price it's on the heels of a storage requirements increase.

Last time they dropped prices, they introduced Live Photos. So probably they actually probably doubled the storage requirements.

Now they're putting Messages on iCloud on ios11. Did they mention whether they were free or not? Maybe not doubling but more stuff in the cloud.

Also "Files". Terabytes and Terabytes more to store, miniscule drop in the gouging prices...

So in yesterday's keynote, Apple went after HoloLens, Paypal, Snapcash, Square, Sonos, Alexa, Google Home...

Yet they don't take on Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, One Drive? I'm starting to think it's an anti-monopoly issue...

C'mon Apple. FREE FIVE TERABYTES! When is it coming???

Thanks!

23. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

what was the old 99 cent tier? 20 gigs? I can't even remember

24. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

It was 15GB then they upped it to 20/25GB, iirc. Too much of a hassle to search my email for iTunes invoices/receipts. :rolleyes:

25. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

that means you are using 1TB and have 1TB left