Apple Drops Bing Search Engine Results for Siri and Spotlight in Favor of Google

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 25, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Starting today, Apple search results from Siri and Spotlight on Mac and iOS will be provided by Google rather than Microsoft's Bing. Apple announced the news in a statement that was given to TechCrunch this morning, claiming consistency across iOS and Mac devices is the reason behind the switch.

[​IMG]
    Prior to this morning, all results from a search conducted on Spotlight using Finder on Mac or the swipe down search bar on iOS were Bing search results, as was all search information provided by Siri. Now, when you search using Spotlight or when you ask Siri a question that ends up involving a web search, info will come from Google.

According to TechCrunch, the swap will include both web links and video results from YouTube, but web image results in Siri and Spotlight searches will continue to be provided by Bing for the time being. Google searches will use the standard search API and will provide the same search results you'd get from a Google.com search.

While Apple has used Bing for search results for things like Siri and Spotlight, Google has remained the default search engine on iOS and Mac devices. Earlier this year, reports suggested Google paid Apple nearly $3 billion to maintain its position as the default search engine on iOS devices.

The search engine swap began rolling out to users at 9:00 a.m. Pacific Time.

Update: Microsoft has provided a statement to TechCrunch on the shift from Bing to Google.
    Article Link: Apple Drops Bing Search Engine Results for Siri and Spotlight in Favor of Google

2. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

3. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Next can we use google powered search for the app store?

4. toukale macrumors newbie

toukale

Guess Microsoft did not pay the bill and Google stepped up this year.

5. Jsameds macrumors 68040

Step one of many by Craig. Siri simply needs to be better, even more so with HomePod in the horizon.

Keep the changes rolling.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Honestly Bing has always returned better media results than Google and as of the past two years, more relevant search results than Google. I'm kind of disappointed to see this.

7. 0003939 Suspended

How can one change Spotlight search to use DuckDuckGo instead?

8. true god macrumors member

Wow. I'm sure MS cannot be too happy about this.

9. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

Woooo! Another boost to the services "revenue"

10. DarkxPunk macrumors newbie

DarkxPunk

How about letting us choose search engine like in safari. Fine use google for predefined content but let us choose the web search!

11. Zachari macrumors regular

Zachari

12. Nozuka macrumors 68020

you forgot to add: said noone ever!

13. ceomfgstfu macrumors newbie

ceomfgstfu

14. toukale macrumors newbie

toukale

I am sure Microsoft was aware of this change. Apple do not do those things for free you know. Google probably out bid them this time around.

15. horsebattery macrumors 6502

Seems like a YMMV sort of thing. For a lot of developer-related searches after a week-long trial a few months back, I've usually had better success at having immediately relevant results returned (at the top) through Google than Bing.

16. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

This is a bigger news than the iPhone X

17. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Microsoft must not have been paying as much.

When it comes to search engine bidding, the users are always the product.

18. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Maybe people inexperienced in both engines. I however use both extensively. As far as media, Bing wins hands down and always has. For general searches, those are subjective but as I stated, Bing has been returning more relevant results than Google as of late.

19. Quu, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017

Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

I hope this is being done in a privacy conscious way with randomised UUID's and Apples servers handling the search so Google doesn't get our IP Addresses. That's all I have to say about this change.

EDIT:// Seems they are protecting our privacy:

20. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

21. 0003939 Suspended

I don't understand this. Can we have the option to choose the search engine for Spotlight? C'mon Apple. You respect your consumer's privacy.

22. Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

Ahhhh, Craig. Tell us what you have in mind for Apple Maps....

23. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

As someone who has their default Safari search engine set to Bing, I find this a bit annoying. It's good news for those that prefer le Goog though.

24. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Why? You pay for it . Whatever the amount, they decided not to come to the table .

25. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

She also gives the right answer now.

Attached Files: