Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
All Apple stores will have different levels of inventory. 20 for general stores seems like a plausible number. I would guess that flagship stores would have significantly more but even then they will sell out quick.

Basically, if you want an iPhone 6+ as a walk in. Get there as soon as you possibly can. The more you want it, the earlier you should go.

Looking on twitter, there are many lines starting to form around the country.

JOHNGAETANO

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Akron, Ohio
Back in 2007, for the OG launch, they received bunches of them that day. So I would suspect today will be a big day. I'd be surprised if each store didn't have 500.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Judging from what happened when people preordered the 6+, this could not be a big surprise.

I suspect that Apple way under estimated the number of Plus units as Apple people have always been against larger screens. So many have changed their minds and or moved on to other devices. Aplle is likely making more plus units but it will take a while to get them in the supply chain.

Hence 3-4 weeks!

Last edited:

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
Back in 2007, for the OG launch, they received bunches of them that day. So I would suspect today will be a big day. I'd be surprised if each store didn't have 500.

Back in 2013, for the 5S launch, they only had like 50 Silver & Gold iPhones per store MAX. So I would suspect today will be quite similar. I'd be surprised if each store did have 500 units.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
As someone else pointed out, 20 per store for about 250 stores would just about 5000 for the whole nation. Considering there were 4 million preorders, I can't imagine this will be the case. I think more phones will show up today if he was being honest about his stock so far.

Skittlebug

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
A customer service rep checked all the inventories in Dallas and confidentially told you that none of the stores in Dallas, TX would have any 6+'s at launch. So out of the 4 or so Apple Stores in Dallas, everybody camping for a 6+ will get nothing? Whoever you talked to surely was forthcoming.

Yes, he was forthcoming. I'm just trying to be helpful. Next time I just won't say anything since I'm just going to be called a liar (or have it insinuated).
I hope they guy was wrong because I don't want there to be a lot of disappointed people on launch day. I can't imagine camping out for hours or days for an item that the store never even had in the first place.
For those that think this is some conspiracy...This would be the poorest attempt at a conspiracy ever. I would discourage maybe 5 people from camping out (tops), what good would that do? Especially considering there are more than 5 stores in the DFW area. Besides, I preordered and have a phone being delivered on Friday so I'm not worried about the lines. I just find this all very interesting and want to be helpful.

----------

Now, hear me out-

MAYBE.. the people on forums are seen as a little wiser than the average bear, asking questions about availability and trying to make rational decisions to go stand in line or just order online. Your average American, sad to say, is a loose cannon with a short fuse and a few too few crayons in the box if you get my drift. Perhaps the rumors on HERE about no 6+ stock are true and an attempt to steer the enlightened ones away from a potentially very dangerous situation at physical stores when the crazies realize there are no 6+ phones to be had.

Apple is employing internet shills to keep y'all safe. Heed the warnings and for the love of God DO NOT GO TO A PHYSICAL STORE ON FRIDAY LEST YOU BE TRAMPLED AND BEATEN THE LIKES OF WHICH AREN'T EVEN WITNESSED ON BLACK FRIDAY! :p

Just a theory.

LOL I know you're joking but I'm actually really worried that the 6+ shortage will cause some issues. I'm so glad I preordered and don't have to fight the madness on launch day.

MrBambinoDent

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
Yes people, stay home and leave all the stock for scalpers to sell on eBay or the likes for tremendous profit, that's the best you can do to help that kind of ****** businessmen!

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Don't even bother showing up. Scalper teams already are deployed. Ebay posts are ready to go.

You got no chance, NO CHANCE, against hordes of scalpers.

zetti

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2012
Sounds about right tbh, happens every launch as far as I am aware.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Judging from how preorders went, I do not see how one could expect the store to have a lot. My Att store said they may have zero in the plus size. Apple did not make enough as in the past, most have been against larger iPhones.

3-4 weeks means they are going to have to make them and get them in the supply line.

Everyone is looking for a conspirisy when it is simple that Aplle does not have near enough to supply the demand. :apple:

MisterMankind

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Sure there is high demand for the 6 +, but do you really think Apple wouldn't hold some (and by some i mean a LOT more than 5000 for the us; like at least 20 times more I would think - probably more) for its own retail stores? Shortages at carrier stores - may very well happen. But only 20 phones per Apple Store? This is riddiculous, there'll be at the very least ten times more.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Sure there is high demand for the 6 +, but do you really think Apple wouldn't hold some (and by some i mean a LOT more than 5000 for the us; like at least 20 times more I would think - probably more) for its own retail stores? Shortages at carrier stores - may very well happen. But only 20 phones per Apple Store? This is riddiculous, there'll be at the very least ten times more.

You need to prepare yourself for ridiculous :cool:

MisterMankind

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Let's wait and see. ;)
All I say is - yes, there will be shortages, as there always are in the first days after launch. But thinking every Apple store will just get 20 6 + phones to sell on friday seems way underestimated to me - surely they will try to stock up their own retail stores first as it is also a publicity issue - 1000+ people waiting in line and 20 getting their phones would be marketing suicide. I think apple will keep the other retail channels tight but try to stock their own stores up to the max.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
Let's wait and see. ;)
All I say is - yes, there will be shortages, as there always are in the first days after launch. But thinking every Apple store will just get 20 6 + phones to sell on friday seems way underestimated to me - surely they will try to stock up their own retail stores first as it is also a publicity issue - 1000+ people waiting in line and 20 getting their phones would be marketing suicide. I think apple will keep the other retail channels tight but try to stock their own stores up to the max.

uhm where you there for the 5S launch? Stores had less than 50 Silver/Gold iPhones. 20 is low but completely plausible. It seems that 6+ is in slightly better supply than gold/silver 5S was last year so I'm hoping for 50 or even 75 phones per store.

MisterMankind

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
At last year's launch I was probably laying in my bed, sleeping. ;) The last launch I participated in was the one of the iPhone 5.

I know though, that supplies of the gold iPhone 5s have been more than short last year. With the gold being a colour scheme and the 6+ being a whole new model, I don't think supply will be anywhere near as short as the one of gold iPhone 5s' last year. But of course I'm just guessing. I just would be really surprised, if Apple was THAT short of the 6+ for launch. We'll see who's right tomorrow, I sure hope as many of you as possible get the phone you want :) (I have preordered for in-store-pickup (an iPhone 6, without "+"), so I'm not really scared anyways :p)

Last edited:

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
I worked in an Apple Store for six years and I can guarantee you nobody talking to a reporter knows how many, or what models. The inventory team is basically unboxing mystery packages. The one person who knows is perhaps, perhaps* the store leader, and they're well-compensated career lifers, so they're not talking.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Why? He even got spooked by people in the thread and abandoned it and requested it be deleted. If he were doing it for trolling surely he'd continue it.

That's how much of a genius troll he was! :eek:

----------

I highly doubt a high traffic apple store only got/is getting only 20 total iPhone 6 plus.

Look man, they should be focusing on getting us pre-order folks our phones...forget the walk-ins! It's my time to shine!

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Not that hard to believe. I was In line for the 5s launch and the store had 2 gold phones. TWO! The 6+ is last years gold. It's believable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.