Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
They didn’t. Which is what the term “necessitates” means. Some positions didn’t get to do it. At least not full time. Others did. The point is that companies need to determine WFH for the positions where it’s viable.
Apple will need to get with the times for jobs like software development which can be remote. I’m now getting job offers from all of the states with permanent work from home. It used to be much much more difficult getting a work from home job.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apple will need to get with the times for jobs like software development which can be remote. I’m now getting job offers from all of the states with permanent work from home. It used to be much much more difficult getting a work from home job.
I think the handwriting is on the wall with apple; they don’t care about “getting with the times”. Not all software development can be done 100% remote.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I think the handwriting is on the wall with apple; they don’t care about “getting with the times”. Not all software development can be done 100% remote.
Obviously it can as they have been working remote for a long time now.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Kind of irrelevant what managements rational is. If an employee doesn’t like that working arrangement there are other jobs out there.
That was my entire point. A lot of places are offering permanent work from home now so it’s far easier to get another job as you are not isolated by location anymore. Apple will need to change their stance on this to stay competitive as a workplace.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That was my entire point. A lot of places are offering permanent work from home now so it’s far easier to get another job as you are not isolated by location anymore. Apple will need to change their stance on this to stay competitive as a workplace.
Apple doesn’t need to change its stance, if management is committed to its current thinking. In fact this discussion has been had many times and of course multiple opinions. Only time will tell. If the US economy doesn’t hold up, jobs may evaporate and those same job seekers may not have much of a choice — in one scenario.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Apple doesn’t need to change its stance, if management is committed to its current thinking. In fact this discussion has been had many times and of course multiple opinions. Only time will tell. If the US economy doesn’t hold up, jobs may evaporate and those same job seekers may not have much of a choice — in one scenario.
And how will the US Economy fail with some positions working from home? Speaking from a software development perspective, I had dozens of interviews in the last few months from all states. ALL of their code and CI/CD pipelines are mixed between GitHub/TeamCity or Azure DevOps. So code and sprint planning/tracking and all of those things can be done remotely. All the way up to deploying to production with CI/CD. Nobody I talked to had on-premise work, and if they did there is VPN for that. I am sure Apple and Microsoft operating system code are on premise, but that is what VPN is for.

There are tools out there to generate monthly report on how much code is checked in, any code smells/issues tied to it, how much burn and stuff needs re-doing per check in, how much time is spent per story. If you manage software developers correctly, it can be done remotely. While some businesses I talked to, these stats are "cool" to look at, you can get down to the micro management level even remotely with these kinds of stats. You are not checking in code enough, or you are re-doing your work 10 times, you spent all day and checked in 5 lines of code for example.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
And how will the US Economy fail with some positions working from home? Speaking from a software development perspective, I had dozens of interviews in the last few months from all states. ALL of their code and CI/CD pipelines are mixed between GitHub/TeamCity or Azure DevOps. So code and sprint planning/tracking and all of those things can be done remotely. All the way up to deploying to production with CI/CD. Nobody I talked to had on-premise work, and if they did there is VPN for that. I am sure Apple and Microsoft operating system code are on premise, but that is what VPN is for.

There are tools out there to generate monthly report on how much code is checked in, any code smells/issues tied to it, how much burn and stuff needs re-doing per check in, how much time is spent per story. If you manage software developers correctly, it can be done remotely. While some businesses I talked to, these stats are "cool" to look at, you can get down to the micro management level even remotely with these kinds of stats. You are not checking in code enough, or you are re-doing your work 10 times, you spent all day and checked in 5 lines of code for example.
You're very narrowly focused on one job industry and your job, I'm speaking in broader terms. Maybe in your company, your department, your location, your specific job, your work situation works for you and company, but that can't be generalized to say every job as a software developer can be full-time work from home with no compromises.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.