Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Another thing that has come up here and other places is the, "Why should Apple have a card?" argument. While that's a fair thing to ask (especially for those outside of the US), just about every retailer has some sort of cobranded card in addition to their in-store-only cards. Even in the tech area, Amazon's cards, and the Uber Visa are very popular. Apple's kind of mediocre card with Barclays has existed for years, but nobody ever talks about it.

While Apple is a bit more specific than a place like Target, the card itself has more utility in other places—the RedCard gets 5% back at Target, but doesn't seem to get anything back elsewhere (but it is a Mastercard that you can use everywhere). Something like a Gap, Old Navy, American Eagle, or Bed Bath & Beyond card makes little sense to me, but they obviously get enough interest that those are still offered.

In some ways, the Apple Card is kind of like the Amazon cards, the Costco Visa, and the Uber Visa, as it has some sort of perk for using it with that brand, but you get other benefits elsewhere. Funny enough, the Uber Visa earns more on dining and travel (hotels, flights, etc.) than Uber rides. In the case of the Amazon cards (Chase-issued Visa or Amex-issued business card), there's the 5% on Amazon things (with Prime, 3% without) and 2% on a few extra categories. Although YMMV on Apple Pay availability, the Apple Card would cover a lot of the spend that I wouldn't have better cards for, so the 2% back is pretty broad for me.

For those suggesting other 2% back cards in this thread, there are certainly other options out there, especially if you're swiping or inserting the card much more than using Apple Pay. The Fidelity Visa is a bit more complex, as the rewards have to be deposited into another Fidelity account; some people really don't like Synchrony, who issues the PayPal Mastercard (and I'm not sure if it can be added to Apple Pay); Citi can be a bit polarizing in that their IT infrastructure and customer service either work really well for you or really poorly. Don't get me wrong, each can be a good choice for the right person in the right situation and with high non-Apple Pay spend, can whoop the Apple Card's butt.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I wonder if the apple card is Apple trying to get around paying credit card fees on purchases such as apps and iTunes content. I won't be surprised if they have worked out a deal with Goldman Sachs to pay a lower cut for credit card processing fees. Given the volume they handle, this can work out to quite a fair bit of savings.

Reactions: ecschwarz

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Better rewards, lol. I'm not at a point where it would trump what I already use, so getting it would be a bit superfluous.

maybe with time. from their perspective, i'm sure that 3% on apple products + no annual fee is more than enough. of course if they bump it up to 5% we would all appreciate it)

Reactions: ajguckian

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
I’m aware this card will be only available in the USA first. Yet I’m curious if like in iTunes we can provide a valid US address say a PO Box and pick this up and activate on iCloud and ApplePay account for use in other countries or will iOS location prevent that?

That's not going to work, as you can't apply for credit in the United States without a Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. Furthermore, credit history from Canada does not reflect in the U.S. (and vice versa), so even if you found a way to apply... you would be declined due to no (U.S.) credit history.

jypfoto

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2014
I do like the look of the card, but I question it's need, at least in my case.
1) I have a Citi DoubleCash card that gives me 2% back on everything and works perfectly well with Apple Pay.
2) I could get an Amazon card that would give me 5% back on Amazon purchases. (I need to figure out how much that would actually return to me.)
3) The Apple Card does give back 3% on Apple purchases, so I could save a bit more on my Apple Music subscription. (About $1.20 a year..lol)
4) For other Apple products, how often does one need to drop hundreds or thousands on a new MacBook, Watch, etc? And now, B&H Photo just introduced their "Payboo" card which rebates whatever your sales tax is. Being in NYC, that's a 8.875% savings. When I buy a new Apple Watch later this year, why go to Apple and pay sales tax when B&H is willing to give me back that amount?

Finally, I checked my credit score the other day, it was 845 (Seriously, 845 out of 850), so getting the Apple Card isn't a problem. If I want it, they'll gladly hand me one.

Or you could put your streaming including Apple Music on the Amex Blue Cash Preferred for 6% cash back.
[doublepost=1559072615][/doublepost]
5/24 means ANY card, not just Chase cards. If Chase sees you have gotten over 5 cards (any cards) in 24 months you get denied. And Chase is not going to close out all of your Chase cards if you have several Chase cards.

I'm in the same boat. The only usage case for me is if I wanted to use Apple Pay Cash now that they've removed the ability to use it with any other credit card. I don't have a debit card. That's not compelling enough to me.

That part about Chase cards is true. I currently have 7 active cards with Chase/JPMorgan and no issues with having them all open and active with large tradelines.

Reactions: MisterSavage

Schismz

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
People who don't travel extensively aren't the target demographic for an AMEX Platinum. People who don't travel extensively are better served by an AMEX Gold or a Blue Cash/Everyday-branded card.

Just like people who do travel extensively aren't the target demographic whatsoever for an Apple Card.

YMMV I suppose, but AMEX customer service has been great for me.

I find it odd you found the customer service "horrible" when Platinum cardholders receive 24/7 support worldwide from a dedicated customer service division that is only for Platinum cardholders. How interesting. :rolleyes:

Same as above. AMEX Platinum is great if you travel a lot, I've forgotten what I pay for it but it easily pays for the roughly $500-$550 per annum fee, after 1 international business trip. For domestic use, I find their Blue Cash Preferred considerably better. For buying new Mac Pro, OTOH -- or Apple anything if you don't have much money -- lessee, it makes sense. It'll make even more sense if can be stacked with 25% off EPP program as an employee of Apple :) Suddenly, new Mac Pro is not so over-priced :) :) :)

In terms of AMEX support, IDK what AMEX support you talk with, or if the lower end cards get call center in India, but speaking for myself I have had 0 problems with AMEX support ever, on the obverse they go over the top to try and satisfy and help you -- one of the reasons, other than fees, that many merchants won't take AMEX. "The customer is always right, even when the customer is totally FOS and lying," the merchant ends up eating the cost of whatever happened which made the customer unhappy.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
With they way people get excited for all things Apple I think this is brilliant marketing. Credit cards are so boring, looking for the best one etc etc. Apple has a way of making you want to part with your money before you even realize what you’ve done.

If the benefits were as exciting as they should’ve been I’d get on board but outside the Apple branding it’s really not that great.

Someone enlighten me please!

The Goldman Sachs card should do for Apple what Discover did for Sears.

I’m just glad GS got that huge bailout so they could help Apple screw more people into crushing debt! I hate to see another executive have to downsize their Hamptons weekend getaway

Last edited by a moderator:

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
Unless you travel extensively they are most certainly not better. And American Express customer service is horrible. I canceled my platinum as soon as Apple card was announced.
[doublepost=1557711763][/doublepost]

You must be more excited than you let on since you took the time to click on the article and post a comment.

Readin an article and posting a response to it doesn’t equal excitement. Interest maybe but excitement? No

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
Who users magstrips these days ? An't most all chip based now? or those use still prefer the ATM. I guess "cashless" would be good... Many ATM's allow this. and even this is better than a magstrip.

We'd get excited just to see a pudding roll down a hill as well.

A lot of cards still have the mag strip as redundancy. Chips and chip readers fail often enough.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
Bit much of invasion of privacy when one company has all your fingerprint, 3D face map, health, email history, internet usage, location tracking, spending, credit reports, etc. That's a lot to put in one basket if another iCloud security leak occurs.

They can have fun seeing all our gobbledegook encrypted info if that’s what floats their boat I suppose.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
dzV6YSy.gif

Debt is dumb...

Ya everyone should buy a house and car with cash on hand

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Same as above. AMEX Platinum is great if you travel a lot, I've forgotten what I pay for it but it easily pays for the roughly $500-$550 per annum fee, after 1 international business trip. For domestic use, I find their Blue Cash Preferred considerably better. For buying new Mac Pro, OTOH -- or Apple anything if you don't have much money -- lessee, it makes sense. It'll make even more sense if can be stacked with 25% off EPP program as an employee of Apple :) Suddenly, new Mac Pro is not so over-priced :) :) :)

In terms of AMEX support, IDK what AMEX support you talk with, or if the lower end cards get call center in India, but speaking for myself I have had 0 problems with AMEX support ever, on the obverse they go over the top to try and satisfy and help you -- one of the reasons, other than fees, that many merchants won't take AMEX. "The customer is always right, even when the customer is totally FOS and lying," the merchant ends up eating the cost of whatever happened which made the customer unhappy.

Amex platinum has their own line, so it’s probably much better than the standard line.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Cracker Barrel still swipes. Embarrassing.

I admittedly haven't been to many, but the one I've been to most recently (Yuma, AZ) did use the chip. No contactless on their Ingenico iPP350 PIN pads though, despite having patrons pay at the store/front.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.