Apple Employees Testing Apple Pay Cash Internally in iOS 11.1

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 3, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple corporate employees in the United States are testing Apple's upcoming person-to-person Apple Pay feature internally in the iOS 11.1 update, suggesting the Apple Pay improvements could indeed be introduced in iOS 11.1. Employees first began testing the Apple Pay Cash last week, but many were only able to access the feature starting today.

MacRumors forum member Chuck SaaS was in touch with an Apple employee who is testing the feature using iOS 11.1 and a device certificate that was distributed internally by Apple. Employee testers are required to download iOS 11.1, install an additional internal-only beta profile, and have their Apple IDs white listed to access Apple Pay Cash.

He shared two screenshots, one of the setup process and one of an attempt the employee made at sending money to him on the iOS 11.1 beta. The transfer didn't work as both devices need support for the new Apple Pay feature. Apple is encouraging employees to test the feature among themselves.

[​IMG]

Apple Pay Cash works through the Messages app and allows for quick person-to-person money transfers, much like Square Cash and other competing services. It's available as a built-in Messages app, with cash transferred through iMessages.

[​IMG]

When sending cash, it can be sent from a linked debit or credit card, while received cash is stored in an Apple Pay Cash card in Wallet that can be used for purchases or sent to a bank account. Sending cash through a credit card incurs a 3% fee, while sending cash from a debit card is free.

As has been previously revealed, the Apple Pay Cash card available in Wallet is being made available through a partnership with Green Dot, a company that offers prepaid payment cards.

Person-to-person Apple Pay was first announced as an iOS 11 feature at the Worldwide Developers Conference in June, but it was not implemented in any of the iOS 11 betas and towards the end of the testing period, Apple confirmed it would be introduced in a future update.

There is no sign of Apple Pay Cash in the first iOS 11.1 beta that was seeded to developers last week, but if employees are testing it internally in iOS 11.1, it could be added in a future beta or simply released when iOS 11.1 is made available to the public.

Given that we've only had one beta of iOS 11.1 so far, it's not clear when the update will see a public launch.

Article Link: Apple Employees Testing Apple Pay Cash Internally in iOS 11.1

2. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

I still don't see the benefits of this over Square Cash

Anyone can send me money via Square Cash, and with my Cash Card I can spend at places where there's no Apple Pay (still lot's of big brands!)

3. gwhizkids macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

Actually, its made a semi-appearance in 11.1...in the Feedback app.

4. agsystems macrumors 6502a

Maybe they are doing this - but Apple secrecy could hurt adoption of this if this is not tested at a global scale - can't believe only a few employees are testing this

5. questionmark32 macrumors regular

I'm not familiar what the fees are for using a credit card for other apps like Venmo. What are those fees, if any? I assumed 3% was normal for credit cards, since debit cards are free

6. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502

mcfrazieriv

This is hardly a rumor. I guess it fits with news. But there's more and more of these posts that blatantly look like Apple buying advertising space in the form of arranged posts. It doesn't leak any new concepts... it just states "it's coming soon" by a source within the company (legally?) giving screenshots.

7. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

1. why not just talk about this at the october event? everyone has forgotten by now
    2. why isnt this coming to Canada right away?

8. pradeepbabloo macrumors member

pradeepbabloo

You did read it wrong!

9. sdwaltz macrumors 6502

3% fee for a credit card is pretty standard.

But you could also just use your debit card for free and, you know, not have to pay a bill at the end of the month.

10. Kaibelf macrumors 68000

Kaibelf

1. I didn't forget. You didn't forget. The people I work with also remember. *shrug*
    2. Talk to your regulators up in Canada, and your bank.

11. bkushner macrumors regular

Dude, if the website just posted “leaked new concepts” it would be a ghost town. Cheer up.

12. blacktape242 macrumors 65816

blacktape242

GET IT DONE! im happy this feature is coming although it should have came out when 11 came out!

13. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

People send you money? Technology is not the problem, where can I find all these people who would be willing to send me money? I’m usually the one who has to give everyone else money. Bank of Mom —that’s me.:rolleyes: Karma from the 80’s when I’d drag my mom to the arcade and beg quarters off of her. She was pretty cool about that. :)

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Oh no, not more allegations! When will we ever get an actual conviction?

15. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

And here I am still waiting for Apple Pay to be introduced in my country :(

16. mthomas184 macrumors 6502

mthomas184

Ha! Good lord dude. Venmo and Square Cash are also 3% if you use a CREDIT CARD not debit card. o_O
    --- Post Merged, Oct 3, 2017 ---
    Correct. Venmo and Square Cash is also 3% for credit cards. That’s pretty much the standard across the board.

17. ajfahey macrumors member

ajfahey

Of course correct. Also, the more participants we have in this market to more there will be competitive pressure to lower even the credit card fees in order to increase market share and profit.

18. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Huh? They aren't talking about it now. Also, there may very well not be an Oct/Nov event. They've already semi-introduced the iMac Pro and Siri Speaker and they could get away with just releasing them.

Unfortunately, this is never going to be cross platform.

19. WannaGoMac macrumors 68000

Cant wait to not install iOS 11.1 too!

20. Cronowerx Suspended

Looks like this gimmick will ship with iPhone X.... let’s just hope it comes to Canada in the near future!

21. Shadow%20Mac macrumors demi-god

Pretty standard when paying via a credit card. SquareCash and Venmo also charge you a fee if you pay using a credit card, since you're filling up your / sending money that you've borrowed.

22. yanksfan114 macrumors regular

That’s the regular fee for credit transfers. All apps have this fee. 0% for debit.

23. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater