Apple Employees Testing Apple Pay Cash Internally in iOS 11.1

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 3, 2017.

1. rodgersmc macrumors member

rodgersmc

I'm struggling to see the utility here, over Venmo/Square/Zelle. Unless you never need to exchange money with a non-Apple user, you're still going to need one of these apps installed. I'd like to keep my transactions to as few apps as possible. Since this one can't be the universal one, one of the others is likely to win my attention.

Also - can one of these companies just set it up to immediately and automatically go to my bank account? If Zelle is successful in doing that part, I have no need for these other silo'd cash apps. (Jury still out on Zelle's success.)

2. GoodWheaties macrumors 6502

GoodWheaties

Linking a bank account isn't going to be an option? I guess I will have to remember where I put that debit card that I never use. Why get nothing when you could get 1 or 2% back ;)

3. gaximus macrumors 6502a

I know way more people with iPhones than I know with square cash. Then If I want to quickly send money I don't have to tell them to download the app and setup an account, send me the username or what info is used to make an payment. I can just open a text and send it. Facebook messenger is easier Square Cash.

And with Apple Pay you can transfer it into an checking account and not have to use Apple Pay at a store.

4. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

Ok time to scour the internet for that profile...

5. rodgersmc, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

rodgersmc macrumors member

rodgersmc

I get that you can transfer it - just as you can with Venmo, Square, etc. I just don't want to have to. It's an added step. I want it in my bank account. Let me set that as a default and just send it there immediately (even if there is some "processing" delay).

I agree with you, sort of. I know more total people with iPhones than I know with Square (or Venmo, or whatever). But if even one of the people I need to send money to on occassion isn't an iPhone user, then I need Venmo (or whatever) on my phone.

(On second thought, doesn't everyone have Venmo?)

6. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

You don’t need an account, see for yourself :D

cash.me/$JoshECouch

7. Duane Martin, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

Duane Martin macrumors 6502

Duane Martin

I have to say with the hacks at Equifax, Target, Yahoo, etc I am not sure I want to have my information on one more target. I am somewhat confident in Apple's security, certainly more so than I am with Square, Venmo, or any other company that shows up doing this. I trust my bank less than I trust Apple with this. Security should be at the top of everyone's mind when signing up for one of these services.

8. clunkmess macrumors 6502a

clunkmess

Because USA>Canada

9. E3BK, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

It feels pretty ubiquitous here in NY. I don't know anyone who uses Square Cash. I downloaded it and set up just in case but everyone is already on Venmo. And off the top of my head, I know 2 people who have non-Apple phones. One of them is a Sys Admin who still lives in the 90's and is adamant about having a phone that he can switch the battery out of. lol

10. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

A few months back, I played a game to death that switching out a battery let me go from 0 to 100% in no time, so it was helpful. I hardly travel, but close to running out of battery would be much more of a thing if I did. Sure, I do have external battery packs, but it's more of a pain to use with that attached.

11. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

What I really want to know is if this will be as safe as cash for things like Craigslist sales of iPhones? Will there be chargebacks? Or, can there be a case where the money goes back to the sender?

12. fairuz macrumors 6502

fairuz

Problem is nobody uses Square Cash to send money. They use Venmo or regular cash.

13. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

I use Venmo as well

14. fairuz macrumors 6502

fairuz

Good question. Worth noting that Venmo supposedly does not allow chargebacks. Double-edged sword, of course. Their user search is somehow really bad, and I'm always afraid I'm sending to the wrong person.

15. redmac macrumors regular

Unfortunately, this is never going to be cross platform.[/QUOTE]

Why should I ever send money to an Android user? I don't even know one. :)

16. rtrutter macrumors newbie

I do not trust these electronic money transfer devices. I do not see Apple issuing any real protection to the user. Everything is supposedly ''bank protected'' which is wrong. Apple is creating this technology without any real protection to the customer or the banks. I do not trust Apple or anyone else with my hard earned money. Until I see Apple willing to stick it's financial neck out, it is a no way for me.

17. fairuz macrumors 6502

fairuz

Well, I wish I were you, unless the only reason you don't know them is you actively avoid them. Must be nice not having to deal with the green bubbles.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 3, 2017 ---
    It is protected by the bank. If you want to claim otherwise, you need some proof. If you just don't trust banks at all, ok, you shouldn't trust this either. But it's most likely more secure than credit cards and similar. I hate giving my CC out to sites.

That being said, I don't use Apple Pay anyway because nothing here accepts it / I'm too lazy to set it up.

18. allanfries macrumors 6502a

allanfries

Sorry, I don't pay fees. So guess I'll check out the debit part of this when it makes way to Canada.

19. JosephAW macrumors 65816

JosephAW

I'm surprised the fee is so low. Tim knows we all can afford much more. He sets the bar with the laptops and iPhones.

20. Kaibelf macrumors 68000

Kaibelf

I disagree. Suppose Apple released Messages for Android last year. There’s no point. People can use any number of SMS solutions. However, assume Apple does it when they also offer peer cash transfers from a company people trust FAR more with data privacy than Venmo, Square, or the like. That’s a money printing machine.

21. buckingham2015 macrumors newbie

buckingham2015

Do we know if the transfer will be instantaneous, or will we have to pay an extra fee for that like Square Cash?

22. Kaibelf macrumors 68000

Kaibelf

I assume you don’t use credit cards either?

23. drewyboy macrumors 65816

Seriously, why bother with middle men. Just use Zelle. It's your bank to bank, instant, free. I guess some people are just stubborn with "it's what we've always used" that charges fees, takes days, and is just one more company that will eventually get hacked and expose all your banking information.

24. cheesyfox macrumors newbie

Just don't use a credit card.

25. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

Between all my friends and family. There is only me and someone else with iphones. Everyone has android phones. So this is basically useless for me. All i carry is cash and debit card.