Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple each year hosts a company wide fitness challenge for its employees at corporate offices and retail stores around the world, tasking participants to close all three of their Apple Watch Activity Rings every day of the month.

appleemployeeactivityshirt.jpg

The challenge is normally held in February as part of Heart Month, but this year's challenge was delayed due to the ongoing public health crisis that had people staying in their homes for the early months of the year.

Apple reinstated the activity challenge on Monday, July 20, and it ran through Sunday, August 16. Employees who participated and successfully closed their rings each day are now receiving their award, which is an Apple-designed t-shirt that says "2020" in a logo with Apple Watch Activity-style rings.

The t-shirt is accompanied by a congratulatory card, but Apple appears to have skipped the pins that have been provided with past challenges. Apple has held these challenges each year. In 2018 and 2019, employees received an exclusive Apple Watch band with Activity ring colors.

Apple's annual February fitness challenges are internal only and limited to Apple employees, but Apple also regularly holds public fitness challenges, though these come with digital achievement awards rather than physical rewards.

The next Apple Watch Activity Challenge, which celebrates national parks, is set to take place on August 30. Apple Watch owners can complete the challenge by recording a walk, hike, roll, or run of a mile.

Article Link: Apple Employees Who Completed This Year's 'Close Your Rings' Challenge Receive Shirt and Congratulatory Card

julesme

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
A gift card & shirt would be better and would be a nice move to generate goodwill.

No matter how much you love you employer, when HQ gives out shirts, it's as much free marketing for them as it is a gift for you. Also, I believe American companies could pay employees to be active and still save money in the long run, given the epidemic of sedentary health issues.

compwiz1202

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2010
I like that even though there is so much negativity in 2020, Apple are still having fun and engaging their staff.
Yea unlike our work who thinks everyone is evil Dick Tracys so we aren't allowed to wear smartwatches. If I ever get a challenge involving too many days of close stand or all rings, it's an instafail.

• Angry
Reactions: Dj64Mk7
Jun 16, 2020
Is it going to be on ebay?

People pay next to nothing for that kinda stuff. I have a bunch of old Apple stuff (some for employees only like executive binders, some for repair technicians like a branded tool kit, and other silliness) and no one pays more than a couple bucks. Not worth throwing it on eBay for the hassle of shipping it.

Jun 16, 2020
A gift card & shirt would be even better.

No matter how much you love you empoyer, when the corporation gives you a shirt, it's as much free marketing for them as it is a gift for you. Also, I believe that American companies could pay employees to be active and still save money in the long run, given the epidemic of sedentary health issues.

They (and many other companies) do pay for such. Most health insurance companies now have options that pay you to do so. A lot of the largest partner with Virgin Pulse, which lets you track healthy habits and even integrate your Apple Watch, FitBit, phone step counter, etc to track things. When you hit various point levels you're rewarded with payments.

My previous company paid you $75 twice a year to go and have a screening at our on-site doctor (you could order prescriptions and get basic general care right at the office).

Many companies are investing in employee wellness. They realize that healthy employees take less sick days and are more productive and it impacts their bottomline.

Jun 16, 2020
Looks very cheap. Would be better giving them a nice discount at Apple Store.

They already get a very nice discount at the Apple Store.

Wow, nothing but complaints from people here. Did your own workplace give you gold Porsche for working out a little bit? What kinda amazing rewards have you been compensated with for doing some very basic things for a month?

laptech

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
whats the chances this scenario played out at one of the senior executive meetings.

exec1: I am noticing some of our employees are getting a bit on the heavy side
exec2: You worried they are not exercising enough and might pass out at work
exec1: Yes
exec2: what do suppose we do about it
exec1: How about we set a fitness challenge but don't tell them the real reason we are doing it, they can win a t-shirt
exec2: excellent idea, we get free marketing when the employee wears the t-shirt out in public, your a genius
exec1: that's why i get paid the big bucks :)

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
They already get a very nice discount at the Apple Store.
So they can get a higher discount. It's easy if you think.

Did your own workplace give you gold Porsche for working out a little bit? What kinda amazing rewards have you been compensated with for doing some very basic things for a month?
What a dumb exaggeration. You compare a lousy t-shirt to a gold Porsche? I like t-shirts but this one looks very cheap. Why you're so triggered?

Then the commentary from some will more than likely be that Apple wants employees to spend more money that goes back to Apple. There's no "winning".
Yeah and you just prove that.

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
So they can get a higher discount. It's easy if you think.

What a dumb exaggeration. You compare a lousy t-shirt to a gold Porsche? I like t-shirts but this one looks very cheap. Why you're so triggered?

Yeah and you just prove that.
Apple actually has pretty great benefits. Free money every few years on top of the discount (last I heard it’s 25% for each major category eg phone, computer, watch) and 10 15% for f&f.

free money for transportation (not just the ability to defer funds pretax)

among really good health care benefits (my doctor, dentist and eye doctor all said don’t Quit but oops).

their gifts has trimmed down a lot. Not just because of the cost but also how the public perspective is.

if everyone in the world was for Apple employees getting a bunch of goodies like free computers, i bet Apple would. The shareholders would have a field day though.

that said, my company gives more ($$) in completing a health challenge but their benefits kind of suck...

now i see it

macrumors 604
Jan 2, 2002
so it's about the Apple Watch - not actually about getting fit. What does the guy get who works out at home and gets in shape but doesn't wear an A Watch?
Nothing. No T-shirt No congratulations

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.