Apple Encourages App Store Developers to Adopt 3D Touch

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 16, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has sent an email to its Developer Program members encouraging them to find out how their iOS apps can take advantage of 3D Touch on iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, signaling that the company would like to increase App Store adoption of the all-new pressure-sensitive feature.

[​IMG]

3D Touch is a pressure-sensitive display technology that enables iPhone users to make "Peek" and "Pop" gestures to access Quick Action shortcut menus, preview content within apps or animate Live Photos. The feature is one of the biggest new additions to the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus released in September.

Nevertheless, nearly three months later, a number of developers are only now beginning to update their apps with 3D Touch support. 3D Touch is also not as natural of an experience as multi-touch for some iPhone users, and it could take some time before the new feature becomes registered in muscle memory.

MacRumors shared a poll with our Twitter followers asking if they use 3D Touch, and the results are expectedly mixed. The poll, which has received nearly 4,000 votes and counting, will be live until December 17 at around 10:30 AM Pacific, so be sure to participate if you own an iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus.
    Recently, a number of popular iPhone apps were updated with 3D Touch support, including Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, Evernote, Facebook Messenger and Spotify. Other popular apps using 3D Touch are listed below, and more can be tracked on our sister website AppShopper by searching for "3D Touch."
    Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
    Amazon Video
    Astropad Mini
    Badland
    BBM
    Buffer
    Byword
    Camera+
    Canary
    Capital One Mobile
    CARROT Weather
    Citymapper
    Coda
    Day One
    Deezer Music
    Drafts
    Dropbox
    ESPN
    Evernote
    Facebook
    Facebook Messenger
    Fantastical
    Flickr
    GIF Keyboard
    Google
    Google Chrome
    Google Drive
    Hipstamatic
    Instagram
    Instapaper
    iWork suite
    KakaoTalk
    Launch Center Pro
    Lifesum
    LinkedIn
    Microsoft Outlook
    News360
    NFL
    OneDrive
    OpenTable
    Overcast
    PCalc
    Pinterest
    Pixelmator
    Periscope
    Reeder 3
    Shazam
    SPG
    Spotify
    Storehouse
    Things
    Todo
    Touchnote
    Tumblr
    TuneIn Radio
    Tweetbot
    Twitter
    VSCO
    Waze
    Weather Underground
    WeChat
    Weibo
    WhatsApp
    Workflow
    Wunderlist
    The list above will be periodically updated with other popular 3D Touch apps.

Article Link: Apple Encourages App Store Developers to Adopt 3D Touch

2. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

Another gadget gimmick. Concentrate on improving battery and innovative charging solutions....Please.

3. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Translation: something I have no use for = 'gimmick'.

Apple needs to do the same for split view. What a joke that none of Google's apps support it, even apps that have had several updates since iOS 9 was introduced.

4. goodcow macrumors 6502a

I disabled it. It made selecting text and links for copy/paste more difficult.

5. levitynyc macrumors 65816

I'd like to use 3D Touch to tweet and do other things with an app without actually having to open the app.

6. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

Developers really do need to get on board with this amazing technology. I'm at the point now where I'm starting to delete apps that haven't bothered to do anything with 3D Touch. And I know I'm not the only one.

7. freepomme Suspended

Maybe before Apple decides to make something, they should make sure that it's something that makes sense for the industry.

There's so many other things that developers were waiting to get there hands on, but Apple didn't answer to those. Now they've introduced some dumb and the developers are scratching their heads.

It's not exactly the most promising technology.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Translation: Help us make this more than just a gimmick ;)

9. samcraig macrumors P6

Sorry - are you serious - you've deleted apps just because they don't use 3d touch?

10. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

3D Touch is something dumb and developers are scratching their heads? I'd love to know what developers you're talking to. And if it's so dumb why is it coming to Android devices next year?

Well I can tell you I'm much more likely not to use an app that doesn't support split view and if there's a good alternative that does support 3D Touch I will use it instead.

11. naeS1Sean, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015

naeS1Sean macrumors 6502a

naeS1Sean

I don't mean to make anyone angry, but isn't 3D Touch just a pressure sensitive display? And isn't it true that pressure sensitive displays been around for a while? And isn't everyone thinking it's something new and different because it's Apple doing it and how they market it as being a brand new thing? 2 examples: FaceTime and Live Photos - (Not actually questions)

12. nilk macrumors 6502a

I can't share the sentiment that 3D Touch is a gimmick. It's quite useful and I've incorporated it into my usage patterns to the point where I'd have a hard time giving it up. I get a little disappointed when apps don't use it where they could.

It does take some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it its great.

13. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Lol really?
    I only use mine a few times a month at the most when I remember. Older methods are still just as fast.

14. Aston441 macrumors 65816

I thought it would be amazing. But it turns out the great inconsistencies across apps, and across frequent updates of the same apps just make it too much of a pain to keep up with. I find it more consistent to just open the app and do what I want.

I think after a few years this will all settle down and when you 3D Touch an app, what you expect and want to be there will be there, but we're not even close to that yet. Most 3D Touch options presented to me today by the apps I use are rarely or never what I need to do.

Also, a 3D enabled app needs to have a little symbol or something to alert me to the fact that it is 3D enabled. I'm tired of poking around at unenabled apps and nothing happening. It is a frustrating exercise.

15. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Such a gimmick that Samsung and others are adding it to their devices too. :rolleyes:

16. nezr macrumors regular

nezr

I Agree

I find that it usually takes a year to get full scale adoption on a new feature that is available in the iPhone. By then, the next iPhone is out with a new feature...

17. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Who else has implemented anything like 3D Touch (outside of something that really is gimmicky just so they can claim they best Apple to the punch)?

18. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

Can we get split screen on the plus models?

19. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

From a developer's perspective, I think the reason you don't add 3D touch is because few of your users will have access to it. Why waste the effort?

I'll start thinking about using 3D touch when I expect a higher percentage of my users to have it.

20. npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

Good news so far, Apple has an off setting for many of the new features. I use my phone as a phone with benefits, not a productivity tool. Thus, for me, many of the new features are set to off. Nice to have the choice is it not.

21. swarmster macrumors 6502a

swarmster

I wouldn't hold your breath on Google. They'd prefer to charge people subscriptions for multitasking (see YouTube Red).

22. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

In some apps, there's no value to adding 3D Touch (dumbest Apple name imo - Thanks Huawei!) just for the sake of adding it. That's when it could be qualified as a gimmick. Other apps could actually benefit from it. The problem occurs when people get used to using it and expect it in every app. Should developers add gimmickry for the sake of uniformity? I personally don't think so. Someone upthread suggested apps have a visual cue denoting 3DT support. I think that's a pretty good idea.

23. Rogifan, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015

Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

If you're going to use it eventually how is it wasted effort?

Can you provide an example of gimmickry? As far as a visual clue, should an app icon look different if it supports 3D Touch? Should it have a little dot next to it or something? I'm not sure what the best way of providing visual clues would be. For me, I just follow release notes too see when an app gets updated with it.

24. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

What does your quote mean?

25. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I would like for developers to make the 3D Touch menu customizable so that we can choose the features that are most important to us. Instapaper is the only one I've seen implement this so far.