Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
While Android copy and paste did require getting used to...

The fact that my _Original iPhone_DID NOT_ Have Copy & Paste was Apple hypocrisy at it's most blatant.

A rather lame 2G phone with NO Copy and Paste, when all the rest had 3G plus Copy & Paste, put Apple to Shame :eek:

But as you can see the Apple devotees didn't' care about such trivia... ha..ha..ha...
It seems more like you don't understand the concept of shipping a minimum viable product.

Other phones had 3G data, but shipped with crappy browsers that had such a crappy browsing experience, people hardly used it.

If lack of 3G had been such a dealbreaker, the iPhone would never have gone on to become successful.

The iPhone was not perfect. The main difference was that Apple knew better than anyone else what compromises to make in their devices and it shows in their sales and profits.

freepomme

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
Boston, MA
I just like posting examples. Just to point it out.

How would I describe it... experience is ... um trying to sweep the floor with a toothbrush?

I'd laugh but it actually is mildly frustrating.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 133

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

How would I describe it... experience is ... um trying to sweep the floor with a toothbrush?

Weird, I'm able to select all or parts of that post without much trouble.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008

FWIW, I was never able to select this text unless I quoted the post then selected it from the quote.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
copy and paste has always sucked.

if you want to select one word, its usually ok. if you want to select all, it's worse, but not terrible. its when you want to drag and select a chunk of text that it's infuriating to use.

also, where the hell are cursor arrow keys? we've got bigger phones now, you can find the room for a couple little arrow keys rather than always having to rely on your damn fingers and the little magnifying glass popping up.

copy and paste is barely worth using, never really was worth using, tbh. rarely do you copy the whole thing or a single word, at least for me.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
copy and paste has always sucked.

if you want to select one word, its usually ok. if you want to select all, it's worse, but not terrible. its when you want to drag and select a chunk of text that it's infuriating to use.

also, where the hell are cursor arrow keys? we've got bigger phones now, you can find the room for a couple little arrow keys rather than always having to rely on your damn fingers and the little magnifying glass popping up.

copy and paste is barely worth using, never really was worth using, tbh. rarely do you copy the whole thing or a single word, at least for me.

When you're trying to drag a selection to copy, the cut/bold/etc commands are way too near to the action. You almost need a stylus to select large chunks of text.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
It seems more like you don't understand the concept of shipping a minimum viable product.
Congratulations for subscribing to the "Apple is smarter than anyone" school of followers.

Why respond with a counterpoint... when you can be an Apple Attack Dog out to blame the buyer / user / Apple customer.

Kudos for your Blind Faith. Apple Loves You.

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
Also does the clipboard not work across apps? When I copy something and want to paste it in a chat window like Hangouts for example, there is nothing in the clipboard.
Any ideas?

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Also does the clipboard not work across apps? When I copy something and want to paste it in a chat window like Hangouts for example, there is nothing in the clipboard.
Any ideas?

I've found that in iOS 9.1 you often have to perform the copy action twice for content to appear in the clipboard.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Using Copy Paste in iOS 9 is a pain in the ass.

It's like what was said on Reddit, "had to write down a phone number today because safari wouldn't select it without selecting the entire ****ing paragraph. isn't that kind of data supposed to be quick linked or something anyway"

I do not understand why something as simple as copy and paste on the iPhone is so........ unpredictable.

Ever since they moved to the flat iOS, the operating system cannot select text correctly. Sometimes you hit copy and then you go to paste it, only to find nothing was ever copied. I'm making this post now because it's been happening for like 40+ days and now I'm just mad.

They want to make a Gold iPhone, but yet they can't even master copy and paste. Hmph.
I hear you. It pisses me off as well, but what are you gonna do about it? I mean..it is what it is. You already purchased your phone...and have current iOS.... Don't worry, you'll get over it. Unless...

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
There is a bug mixed in there somewhere to, at least for me. I was trying to copy a link the other day, went to paste it and I got what I copied previously, thinking maybe my finger missed the copy selection I tried it again, and again, and eventually gave up.

It actually made me pretty angry because it was a link impossible to memorize and I didn't have a way to copy it on hand. Ended up leaving the page open until I got home and use handoff to my Mac.

But I agree selecting text for me is hit or miss and can be very sporadic in its operation.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
It's like what was said on Reddit, "had to write down a phone number today because safari wouldn't select it without selecting the entire ****ing paragraph. isn't that kind of data supposed to be quick linked or something anyway"

If you tap and hold the phone number (do not activate 3D touch where applicable) a menu of options appear and one of them is Copy. That will copy just the phone number.

Off topic: But don't get me wrong, the messaging app is the example I use to complain that Apple has gone to form over function beginning with iOS 7.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
While copy+paste is inconsistent, especially on various interwebs, I can generally get around any issues rather quickly by zooming in/out a bit on the text I'm trying to select. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: MEJHarrison

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Absolutey... I've had to deal with this in the past, too. Very annoying. In fact sometimes:

- I'll end up having to copy the entire paragraph, paste it into the phone number field, then delete the non-numbered text...

- Go back and fourth between app switcher mode to get bits of the phone number added in without it being wiped while entering it in on the phone application

- I'll try to select a phone number, end up selecting the whole page, and can't even unselect it...

There should be a function in which you can copy any 7 or 9 digit number (in which iOS recognizes it as a phone number) and have an option of adding it in as a new phone number immediately.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Please tell me every single one of you have told Apple about this? If you're a dev, file a radar and if you're not, send feedback to Apple's feedback page here: http://www.apple.com/feedback

I've filed a lot of radars and they do follow up half of the times and even did fix them in later releases. However, when I bought up a few iOS annoyances with an Apple engineer, they said they never heard of it before from anyone else, it was too small of a problem and they only fix stuff when there are enough complaints about it.

Sadly, I did hear that some managers are prioritizing stupid **** no one gives a crap about over fixing this but if we all just report these stupid bugs, they might change their mind.

Reactions: freepomme

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
Please tell me every single one of you have told Apple about this? If you're a dev, file a radar and if you're not, send feedback to Apple's feedback page here: http://www.apple.com/feedback

I've filed a lot of radars and they do follow up half of the times and even did fix them in later releases. However, when I bought up a few iOS annoyances with an Apple engineer, they said they never heard of it before from anyone else, it was too small of a problem and they only fix stuff when there are enough complaints about it.

Sadly, I did hear that some managers are prioritizing stupid **** no one gives a crap about over fixing this but if we all just report these stupid bugs, they might change their mind.

I'm frustrated. I used to be able to copy and paste phone numbers into the Vonage app and now I can't. It's huge pain to punch in each number now unless it's a saved contact. I'm on newest Vonage App on iPhone 6s Plus. Anyone else have this app and experiencing this.

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
Text selection did take a massive nosedive into the ground, in terms of AI-ness. It's also impossible to force-touch your way in a selection field which is smaller than the text in it. As soon as you go out of bounds it jumps all over the place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.