Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Josh396 and yankee-fanRE: dual battery slots. --Off topic but you guys brought it up--

There may be no need for dual battery slots, or at least hot swapping batteries looks like it is possible with the new 15"PB. I run around with 3 batteries for my 12"PB, an I hate having to shutdown to change them out. So I would love to see some sort of ability to run 2 batts or be able to hotswap.

Two things that I know work on the new 15", do at your own risk.

1.) Remove the RAM from a new 15"PB while it is sleeping. Install new ram.
What happens--> A gray scree appears, then a progress bar, and everything is OK. Weird, but this shows that the new 15" may use Robertson caching, instead of trickling power to the RAM. My friend did this on accident, and was shocked at the result.

2.) Remove the battery from a sleeping 15" PB while it is sleeping. There is just enough time to slot in a new charged battery.

Both of these things were done by a friend of mine that is an Apple tech, so if others have noted the same or different, please post.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
matd said:
Can anyone explain me the purpose of the photoshop activities of this Flikr member ?
It's a MacRumors member who regularly posts fake pictures like that here. That's one of the sillier parts of this "rumor", it started here :)

Judxapp

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2006
On my computer.
iMeowbot said:
It's a MacRumors member who regularly posts fake pictures like that here. That's one of the sillier parts of this "rumor", it started here :)
Yeah, plus, if it was real, we would be getting feedback from people like David Pouge, and others that would be going. We would know if it was real by now.
Though, I wouldn't doubt that one would be coming soon, if they are going to roll out the Mac Mini, the Powermac, and the iBook all in one year. I don't have any information on that subject though.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
Eniregnat said:
Josh396 and yankee-fanRE: dual battery slots. --Off topic but you guys brought it up--

There may be no need for dual battery slots, or at least hot swapping batteries looks like it is possible with the new 15"PB. I run around with 3 batteries for my 12"PB, an I hate having to shutdown to change them out. So I would love to see some sort of ability to run 2 batts or be able to hotswap.

Two things that I know work on the new 15", do at your own risk.

1.) Remove the RAM from a new 15"PB while it is sleeping. Install new ram.
What happens--> A gray scree appears, then a progress bar, and everything is OK. Weird, but this shows that the new 15" may use Robertson caching, instead of trickling power to the RAM. My friend did this on accident, and was shocked at the result.

2.) Remove the battery from a sleeping 15" PB while it is sleeping. There is just enough time to slot in a new charged battery.

Both of these things were done by a friend of mine that is an Apple tech, so if others have noted the same or different, please post.

the problem with two batteries is that you may not have space to carry both OR in my case, charging one, taking it out, putting the new one in, and charging the next can be inconvienent. I also travel alot and would prefer uninterupeted work (i watch movies and play games alot).

btw, the hd powerbook (which i assume your refering too) does not have Robson caching. we would know. trust me.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
asherman13 said:
FYI, TUAW has what might be (I doubt it though) different invitations to a Feb. 22nd event.

Check it out if you want.
I think this one looks more realistic than the others. But did no one notice that February is misspelled? Somehow I don't think Apple would allow that sort of mistake make it's way out the door. ;)

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
evilgEEk said:
I think this one looks more realistic than the others. But did no one notice that February is misspelled? Somehow I don't think Apple would allow that sort of mistake make it's way out the door. ;)

Check the numerous comments on TUAW.

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
Eniregnat said:

Oh the games your technician plays with your machine when you take it in for repair!

As someone else stated earlier Robson technology deals with caching the magnetic hard-drive to flash memory for faster access with much less power.

The feature you are talking about is called safe sleep and was included on the PowerBooks. Here is the article and explanation. He is correct you can replace a battery while asleep without loosing state. The gray bar is actually rebooting everything to the previous state.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302477

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
asherman13 said:
FYI, TUAW has what might be (I doubt it though) different invitations to a Feb. 22nd event.

No wait, this is the one and only real true invitation!

Attachments

• invite.jpg
    invite.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 272

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
matd said:
Sorry for the stupid question, but what is this Flikr page about ? I really can't understand the aim to create a fake newspaper with an "old-never released video iPod" ?

It's not a fake newspaper. The paper in question really had those pics in it. I think it was the Sunday News of the World from memory. The paper had got hold of some fake pics shortly before the last ipod (with video) was released.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
happy.buddha said:
I can't believe I'm the first person to point out that the 22nd is a Wednesday, Apple always releases on Tuesdays.

Probably because the last few Apple special events have been on a Wednesday. Product updates were traditionally done on a Tuesday but special events have their own rules. ;)

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
matd said:
Sorry for the stupid question, but what is this Flikr page about ? I really can't understand the aim to create a fake newspaper with an "old-never released video iPod" ?

They're photographs of a real newspaper, it was actually published, no Photoshop here.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
iMeowbot said:
No wait, this is the one and only real true invitation!
What's this? Steam presser with iTunes interface? Perhaps a device that streams video while straightening out those creases? Maybe even the new iRon that syncs to iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes and iCal and allows to to organise your life while organising your wardrobe.

Whatever it is, I want one now.

aquafina

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2003
NC
yes, it is fake

I finally figure out what is wrong with the image...

The Apple Logo is skewed, indicating it is printed on the object in the image (namely, the AirPort Express), however, the text is not skewed, indicating it is NOT printed on the image. Also, it is not in any geometric relation to the Apple Logo. Therefore it is a (lousy) (and lazy) photoshop job.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
aquafina said:
I finally figure out what is wrong with the image...

The Apple Logo is skewed, indicating it is printed on the object in the image (namely, the AirPort Express), however, the text is not skewed, indicating it is NOT printed on the image. Also, it is not in any geometric relation to the Apple Logo. Therefore it is a (lousy) (and lazy) photoshop job.

it took you that long? :rolleyes: :D

fake invitation aside, is there any genuine speculation on a Feb 22 special event or is it all centered around this loser with too much time on his hands (and bad spelling to boot)?

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
TUAW Contest

asherman13 said:

The Flickr image is such a patently obvious fake that TUAW has turned it into a contest to see who can come up with the most convincing mock-invitation.

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
Despite the fake invite, some speculation

When Apple introduced the iPod, I don't think it's an overstatement to say that it revolutionized music, and not just digital music. When I consider the way they did it, by taking gradual steps (iTunes, iPod, iTMS), it reminds me of the way they're dipping their toes into the realm of video (rudimentary videos in iTMS, 5G iPod and TV shows, Front Row). Who's to say Apple is not about to revolutionize video as well?

The rumored Airport Express for video could be an integral element of Apple's foray into changing the way consumers think of video. The groundwork is there with a number of video content providers in iTMS, but if Apple were to somehow integrate the iTMS with the TV, I think the implications could be significant. Granted, such integration is possible right now, but I think it requires a more elegant solution--something well within Mr. Ive's capabilities.

My speculation is that Apple's recent strides in bandwidth delivery (perhaps related to the increase of size in .mac storage to 1TB) has to do with the development of hardware to connect video content from the computer to the television via the Front Row interface. I don't want to speculate as to the best way to implement a solution like this, however, I could see it being a box (the rumored device/Airport Express with video) with an incarnation of Front Row built into its firmware as the interface for accessing the video and audio content from the computer's hard drive. The iTMS would grow quite a bit, and Apple would have another device to market rather than users trying to make the Mac Mini into something it isn't (a media center-like PC) because of the video card. Let MS stick to the media center edition or whatever it's called, Apple will have another hardware innovation and consumers can enjoy the seamless integration of music and video on demand from the iTMS to their TVs.

I might be off, but a solution like this would sell me.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Fake.

Why is all the detail information at the bottom blurred out?
I'm no graphic artist, but that looks horribly amateurish.

Mr. Mister

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2006
mac-er said:
Fake.

Why is all the detail information at the bottom blurred out?
I'm no graphic artist, but that looks horribly amateurish.
It takes more effort in Photoshop to blur something than to leave it crisp. There's no reason that being blurred signifies a photoshopped image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.