Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
How has it worked in previous years? Does Apple officially announce ahead of time that they're having an event? Or do we not know for sure until the day of? I'm not sure I can last much longer without official word of new macbooks...

They do announce events ahead of time because they want the press to make arrangements to attend.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Even if the iPod Nano goes to a new form factor and the iPod Touch gets closer to the iPhone in terms of functionality (with the rumored addition of GPS), would Apple want to do a major event just for that?

Would not such an event also be a good time to launch the new MacBook, especially if it is going to Al, since it would tie in with the new-look Nano and the new-feature Touch?

Sam Yikin

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Even if the iPod Nano goes to a new form factor and the iPod Touch gets closer to the iPhone in terms of functionality (with the rumored addition of GPS), would Apple want to do a major event just for that?

Would not such an event also be a good time to launch the new MacBook, especially if it is going to Al, since it would tie in with the new-look Nano and the new-feature Touch?

They did something similar last year.

O. Frabjous-Dey

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2006
Let's go back in time and see what Apple has done at the September Media Event over the past few years.

9/7/05
  • iTunes 5
  • Motorola ROKR
  • iPod nano replaces the mini

9/12/06
  • iPod video
  • iPod nano update
  • iPod shuffle update
  • iTunes 7
  • downloadable videos (Apple Music Store becomes the Apple Store)
  • Apple TV
  • One More Thing: movies

9/5/07
  • new colors for shuffle, woohoo :p
  • nano update
  • iPod classic
  • iPod touch

Seeing a pattern here? Apple holds their September Event to promote their iPod lines and to announce new iTunes services.

My predictions are relatively conservative: We'll see iTunes 8, and all of the iPods will get a significant upgrade. I think the iPod nano pictures that have been leaked to us are fakes - the curved screens are really ugly, and their glossiness will be distracting.

Notice how Apple hasn't done anything yet to the iPod Touch despite the iPhone 3G's release two months ago: they're clearly trying to categorize it separately from the iPhone brand. GPS is likely if only because so many App Store applications rely on the positioning API.

Apple really believes in its product line differentiation and won't muddy the iPod-centric September event with notebook news. If MacBook upgrades are coming, Apple will wait until later to announce them - probably in October or November. Capella won't be out until the middle of 2009, and that's just too long to go without an upgrade. They'll do a Penryn bump with a form factor change for now, then advertise Capella's blazing speeds in 2009.

I have no idea where the iTablet fits into any of this. If it's being sold as an iPhone variant, we might hear some news in September. But it's probably going to be marketed as something else, with web browsing and multitouch as the main selling points; remember that the iPhone was originally codenamed "Safari Pad". I do think it's coming at some point; netbooks are finally taking hold in the marketplace, and Apple, fueled by over a decade of research, is going to master it.

brendanspah764

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
This rumor kinda sounds like last year's rumor when they were speculating Sept. 5 for the new iPods. I think September 9th is a very good idea. They could announce new iPod nano, iPod touch, new MacBook and MacBook Pro, along with the price drops for the iPod's. But Sept. 9th is during school for me. That day is going to be a slow day...:(

Johnner1999

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2003
i hope its actual new MBP's as well and MB's in a new case.

BUT the date seems wrong no? the current back to school promo ends the 15th I think and the 16th is a Tuesday :) why announce new products when they won't be part of the promo?

on that note I'd rather have the event sooner then later :)

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
A lot of people do. Just because you don't doesn't mean nobody else does.

Nah I'm gonna agree with him. The iPods are fine. Give us the updated Macbook Pros and Macbooks.

They are in far far greater need of an overhaul than the ipod lineup.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Maybe they will relaunch mobile me, but this time with a push system that actually works.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK

BUT the date seems wrong no? the current back to school promo ends the 15th I think and the 16th is a Tuesday :) why announce new products when they won't be part of the promo?

I imagine they may announce the laptops and say that they will start shipping in X-weeks.

trixiesirisheye

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, yeah

I'd be more impressed if Apple concentrated on fixing the problems it has now with the iPhone, and the tragic changes it made to iCal, first. Leopard's Time Machine has hosed two external hard drives on my system, and I have a Mac Pro. Their attentions seem rather divided, and not for the better. Personally, this long-time user of Macs (since 1983) is going to hold off on buying any more Apple products until the uproar turns into more of a purr.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004

That's what I tend to think as well. Announcing updated macbooks/macbook pros that don't qualify for the back to school promo, while the promo is still going on is a bit odd.

But then again, Apple announced the iPod touch around the end of the back to school promo and just didn't include it in the promo qualifier.

With iPods I don't think there would be as much of a problem introducing them while the promo is still going on since the functionality will be relatively the same. They'll play videos just as well, play music just as well. But with computers.....ehhh I dunno. I can see a lot of people just not buying a laptop and holding out for the udpated ones. The Montevina updates, the aluminum casing, possible DDR3, non exploding graphics cards, better battery life, etc...

I had friends in college who went the first few months of classes with nothing but notebook paper and the public library computers in order to secure the latest laptop and not be one of the suckers that gets the hand-me-down shovelware.

And let's be honest, that's what the back to school promo is for. It allows them to clear out their inventory so they aren't stuck with piles of out dated computers that they're then forced to sell at a drastically lower price.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Apple really believes in its product line differentiation and won't muddy the iPod-centric September event with notebook news. If MacBook upgrades are coming, Apple will wait until later to announce them - probably in October or November. Capella won't be out until the middle of 2009, and that's just too long to go without an upgrade. They'll do a Penryn bump with a form factor change for now, then advertise Capella's blazing speeds in 2009.

Well Apple won't need Calpella to use the mobile Nehalems, even if they move to nVidia mobile chipsets using Penryn CPUs in the near-term, so they could very well use this event to refresh the iPod line and launch iTunes 8 and then set-up a separate event in a month or two to show off the new MacBook and MacBook Pro line and then keep that line to a six and twelve month minor refresh schedule going forward.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
I imagine they may announce the laptops and say that they will start shipping in X-weeks.

True, I could see that. The updated iPods they don't seem to have a problem releasing at the same time as the promo. The laptops I could see them doing that and just saying "shipping in 4 weeks" and play it off as a "needing to build up units" story.

They have to make sure to make that "x weeks" a big enough gap so that the kiddies don't hold out for the updates. Because then they're stuck with a bunch of older hardware they are then forced to significantly discount additionally.

O. Frabjous-Dey

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2006
Sorry, I conflated Capella with mobile Nehalem.

The latest news from IDF is that mobile Nehalem won't be out until the middle of next year.

EDIT: Quad-core mobile Penryn is an option, though

Arnel

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Vancouver, BC
How has it worked in previous years? Does Apple officially announce ahead of time that they're having an event? Or do we not know for sure until the day of? I'm not sure I can last much longer without official word of new macbooks...

Invitations to the press usually go out around a week before the event itself, so if it is indeed September 9th, then expect them either at the very end of this week, or early next week.

Of course, copies of the invitation get posted on these forums instantly, and then people spend the week arguing that the full stop in the slogan is actually a graphical representation of the new iPod, or other such nonsense. :)

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Invitations to the press usually go out around a week before the event itself, so if it is indeed September 9th, then expect them either at the very end of this week, or early next week.

Of course, copies of the invitation get posted on these forums instantly, and then people spend the week arguing that the full stop in the slogan is actually a graphical representation of the new iPod, or other such nonsense. :)

Hahahah so true. The more ambiguous the slogan, the more outlandish the speculation.

Makes for interesting reading :rolleyes:

Freezerburnt

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
That's what I tend to think as well. Announcing updated macbooks/macbook pros that don't qualify for the back to school promo, while the promo is still going on is a bit odd.

But then again, Apple announced the iPod touch around the end of the back to school promo and just didn't include it in the promo qualifier.

With iPods I don't think there would be as much of a problem introducing them while the promo is still going on since the functionality will be relatively the same. They'll play videos just as well, play music just as well. But with computers.....ehhh I dunno. I can see a lot of people just not buying a laptop and holding out for the udpated ones. The Montevina updates, the aluminum casing, possible DDR3, non exploding graphics cards, better battery life, etc...

I had friends in college who went the first few months of classes with nothing but notebook paper and the public library computers in order to secure the latest laptop and not be one of the suckers that gets the hand-me-down shovelware.

And let's be honest, that's what the back to school promo is for. It allows them to clear out their inventory so they aren't stuck with piles of out dated computers that they're then forced to sell at a drastically lower price.

Good point, but that far into the promotion (with one week to go), how many iPod's and old Macbooks do you think that they have left in stock? I've seen a few reports on iPod shortages, and don't forget the "leaked memo" a few weeks back predicting shortages in laptop stocks. I think they're running low already...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.