Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
SDK update for iPhone. Video iPhone capabilities comes in with iLife and iWork 09. iTunes changed to see this in. Or not. Well, only 5 Tuesdays to guess about. Just hope the mini refresh hurries up.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Apple Event Incoming…!

I really hope we get a very good iTunes 8.

All the talk regarding this supposed event is about iPods though, not computers. :mad:
This is interesting.

The large number of iPod rumors and the lack of Mac rumors pertaining to this event suggest that this event will be iPod-related, and that there won't be any Macs announced/released at the event.

But, Apple has released products the week before an event and at the end of a month. So, September 2 and September 30 are likely dates. They also fit in with the September notebook update rumors.

And where are those Mac tablet rumors? :D

I have no idea where the iTablet fits into any of this. If it's being sold as an iPhone variant, we might hear some news in September. But it's probably going to be marketed as something else, with web browsing and multitouch as the main selling points; remember that the iPhone was originally codenamed "Safari Pad".
I can see that for an iPhone OS tablet. A Mac OS X tablet, I assume, is going to focus on other things as well (multi-touch iLife etc.).

What are the odds that we'll see iLife '09 and iWork '09?
Not likely, I think. But wasn't iLife '08 and iWork '08 (not '07) not rumored until close to the August event last year? I think hardware is rumored much more than software. Despite this, the absolute lack of '09 rumors tells me we won't see iLife '09 and iWork '09 anytime soon. I'd say MWSF 2009 or sometime around then.

BigZ243

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
I never noticed how much Steve Jobs looked different although I do hope he stays well enough health wise for himself if not for Apple.

As far as September I am surprised the event was not early August like last year. I am assuming Ipod nano, maybe some iphone game controllers? Lso I saw a post on another site that referenced some cases for iPod touch 2G zollotech.com I thought it was interesting but it doesn't show much.I would think there would be some sort of physical update though if there are new cases. I was also thinking there would be, or I shoudl say I was hoping for a mac mini refresh or a tablet would be the ultimate. Keeping fingers crossed

Apple18

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
Seriously, Some of us have been waiting for the macbook pro. It better not be just ipods. Anyone know if they have ever announced both new ipods and computers at the same event? After the disaster of mobile me and iphone launch, I feel like they will want to pace themselves..

Yes in 2003

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
iMacmatician, what is your prediction on what is to happen tomorrow? Do you think any thing is going to happen at all? I would like to see your opinion.

By the way, I could not survive without MacRumours for a month so my vacation is over now. ;):D

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Does this mean they will be "announced"? Or does it mean they will be on store shelves on Sept 9?

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Back To School offer ends Sept. 15

It seems that there is a problem with the Sept. 9 date for iPod/MacBook updates. Isn't it true that Apple's Back To School offer runs until Sept. 15? Apple says that if you, as a student, buy a Mac between now and Sept. 15 you can get a free iPod with your purchase. Thus, how can Apple introduce new iPods just a week before this offer ends?

Much more like is that new iPods will be introduced on Sept. 16, the Tuesday after Sept. 15. This means that you'll be able to buy from the existing stock of Macs up through the weekend of Sept. 13 and 14, Monday will be the buffer, and on Tuesday Sept. 16 Apple will be able to update their iPods while fulfilling the free iPod offer with existing stock of the then "old" generation iPods.

It's also true that Apple COULD update the MacBook and MacBook Pro come September since new chips from Intel and PC competition indicate that the update should be soon.

Given that the v2.1 firmware for the iPhone/iTouch is also expected in September it looks to be a very busy month for Apple. However, since Apple rumor almost always exceeds reality I think it is likely that something from the above will almost certainly miss the September timeline.

Thus, I guessing we'll have new iPods on Sept. 16, new iPhone v2.1 firmware no later than Tuesday, Sept. 30 (most likely on or near that date), and new MacBooks in October.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
And I don't get the 18 inch screen screen. I've never seen one in my (w)hole life.

The new trend coming in computer (desktop and laptop) displays is to use 16:9 panels to match HDTVs (as opposed to the 16:10 panels now used). Many of those new panels will be different sizes then current ones due to the new aspect ratio, so a 17" 16:10 panel will become an 18" 16:9 panel.

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
The new trend coming in computer (desktop and laptop) displays is to use 16:9 panels to match HDTVs (as opposed to the 16:10 panels now used). Many of those new panels will be different sizes then current ones due to the new aspect ratio, so a 17" 16:10 panel will become an 18" 16:9 panel.

What per cent chance do you see the new Macs switching to 16:9 ratio?
I hope they do.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
It seems that there is a problem with the Sept. 9 date for iPod/MacBook updates. Isn't it true that Apple's Back To School offer runs until Sept. 15? Apple says that if you, as a student, buy a Mac between now and Sept. 15 you can get a free iPod with your purchase. Thus, how can Apple introduce new iPods just a week before this offer ends?

Much more like is that new iPods will be introduced on Sept. 16, the Tuesday after Sept. 15. This means that you'll be able to buy from the existing stock of Macs up through the weekend of Sept. 13 and 14, Monday will be the buffer, and on Tuesday Sept. 16 Apple will be able to update their iPods while fulfilling the free iPod offer with existing stock of the then "old" generation iPods.

It's also true that Apple COULD update the MacBook and MacBook Pro come September since new chips from Intel and PC competition indicate that the update should be soon.

Given that the v2.1 firmware for the iPhone/iTouch is also expected in September it looks to be a very busy month for Apple. However, since Apple rumor almost always exceeds reality I think it is likely that something from the above will almost certainly miss the September timeline.

Thus, I guessing we'll have new iPods on Sept. 16, new iPhone v2.1 firmware no later than Tuesday, Sept. 30 (most likely on or near that date), and new MacBooks in October.

Why can't Apple just announce new iPods, but have the release dates after the promotion ends? They'll get rid of the remaining few iPods and in addition, get people hyped for the new ones.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
iTunes Ulimited IS FAKE

I hate to say it but it appears that the itunes unlimited may once again be a fake-

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/08/25/rumor-apple-event-for-september-9th

After a little goading, Rose first said the rumor of subscription music coming to iTunes was false, then offered up a new piece of information about what will be in version 8.

so either his source was wrong or he made it up and wanted attention.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
What per cent chance do you see the new Macs switching to 16:9 ratio?

Likely sooner than later since it would tie into their "digital content / lifestyle" aspect and as production moves over to them, 16:10 screens will get more expensive due to lack of volume (just as 4:3 screens did when most production was moved to 16:10).

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
1. Rose made it clear that the iTunes + Sept 9 source was different than the iPod source.

2. September 9 doesn't mean the products have to start shipping September 9. They could say "shipping by the end of the month" as they always seem to do now.

gadgetguy08

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2007
If they go an update the iPods while, yet again, ignoring the MacBooks and MBPs, I am going to lose it. That would totally be answering a question nobody asked, especially with all the talk about the iPod market being saturated. Along with many others, I have been waiting for a new MBP since... about April. And my old iBook G4 isn't going to last much longer. :mad::mad::mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.