Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Does anyone else live in an area that likely won't see 5G for a couple of years? Y'all gonna upgrade? I likely will stick with my 11 Pro.
Yea this time around, it's not even starting in Philly like 4G LTE did. And even then it was like 1-2 years before it got to us.

Reactions: countryside

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
generally pretty good coverage.

also generally pretty expensive.

YMMV depending on what specific package / needs / location fits your situation
Yea as long as you have 4+ people on the plan it isn't too bad, but less is ridiculously expensive. And you can get D+ bundle and AM included depending on which plan you choose.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Yea as long as you have 4+ people on the plan it isn't too bad, but less is ridiculously expensive. And you can get D+ bundle and AM included depending on which plan you choose.

Now that you mention it, I know a couple who went in with another couple on a four person plan. Seems to work for them. I hadn't looked closely at VZW in a couple years.

My wife and I are on a T-Mobile 55+ plan - coverage is good in the places we go - and $70/mo total for two unlimited lines works well for us.

Reactions: jjp007

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Until I can run IOS on a third party phone, I don't have a vote.

Of course you have a vote.

You don't have to buy a new phone. You don't have to buy an iphone.

While you may choose not to move to a different platform due to cost and/or preference, you are still making that choice.

Davelfc

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2014
Liverpool
Of course you have a vote.

You don't have to buy a new phone. You don't have to buy an iphone.

While you may choose not to move to a different platform due to cost and/or preference, you are still making that choice.

Ah, sorry yeah what I mean't to say was that I don't have a choice. (Same thing really.)

Some of the other manufacturers make brilliant phones, none of them have IOS. And for me at least IOS is the reason I do not have a choice. I suspect I am not alone.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Speak for yourself. What about the first time buyers? I was supporting their environmentalism until yesterday when they announce the price of the new phones and the previous gen phones. The iphone SE that was launched with chargers and earpods is still costing 399 USD after they removed the chargers and earpods from the package. If this is not profit maximisation, then I dont know what is.

"Speak for yourself."

Huh? I was. That should have been clear.

"The iphone SE that was launched with chargers and earpods is still costing 399 USD after they removed the chargers and earpods from the package."

Yes, of course, which is consistent with Apples stance. And if they didn't, imagine the epic moan-n-whine fest that would have ensued here for being inconsistent and hypocritical.

The good news is, we all have choices. Does Apple's new policy make you steaming-mad angry? No worries, mate. Simply embrace another manufacturer with better environmentalism and reward them with your currency, and purchase a different phone.

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
You do know that not all places accept Apple Pay. Apple can’t magically make H‑E‑B or Walmart accept Apple Pay. That’s why they have that. Geez.
Plus there are the rare times when AP is not working. Especially if I would ever not bring my cards as backup

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
The irony that I'm feeling is that one of the major reasons I want to switch from my Android phone to an iPhone is gaining iMessage but it also happens to be the one thing holding me back because there's no web app to allow me to text from a Windows machine. I get all the reasons (end to end encryption and all of that) and I'm fine with the security implications that come with Android Messages. I just can't see myself changing and losing the ability to text on my work machine easily without having to be near my phone. And no, a Mac will never be my work machine in my line of work.
Yea I've always wished there was an iMessage on PC too. We have VZWs, but the issue is I have to remember to turn off iMessage or I don't receive any iMessages on the PC

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
The fact that people defend the richest company in the world is astounding. Shareholders need profits? The charger and headphones will cost 100 bucks after the fact if you need them but they probably cost the company 20 bucks to produce.

Offering it to someone new to the ecosystem wouldn't exactly bankrupt the company to any stretch of the imagination. It likely wouldn't even be enough to notice financially.

Less for more lets all applause!
Yea at least have some code to either trade your old A brick for a C, or buy a C brick at a discount

Reactions: Stromos

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Why do you need someone to answer you that? It’s an option for buyers. Either you want it or not.
The one > I also have which has not been answered yet is can you MagSafe charge through a thin enough regular case? And is there any benefit of using a MagSafe Case on a non 12? Will they update software so any wireless charging iPhone will get 15W with MagSafe?

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
The one > I also have which has not been answered yet is can you MagSafe charge through a thin enough regular case? And is there any benefit of using a MagSafe Case on a non 12? Will they update software so any wireless charging iPhone will get 15W with MagSafe?
Looked to me as if what is in the phone itself is key to achieving 15W charging. Both the coil/funny metal disc and the ring of magnets.

How would a MagSafe case, which relies on the ring of magnets to stick to the phone, hold onto any earlier iPhone? I can't imagine that a MagSafe case could attach, properly, to any phone other than the one it is made for (except 12/12 Pro).

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
The one > I also have which has not been answered yet is can you MagSafe charge through a thin enough regular case?

Should be fine. I've had no issue with Qi charging my XS through a Speck Presidio case.

And is there any benefit of using a MagSafe Case on a non 12? Will they update software so any wireless charging iPhone will get 15W with MagSafe?

Not sure the magsafe cases fit prior model phones. Don't know about the other.

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Wtf was with the 007 theme?
Other than Apple struggling to be cool with a throwback to a cultural reference that is even less relevant now than it was two weeks ago? Seriously this presentation is like one long dad joke.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
jozwiak ... this guy jumps from VP product marketing (not global) into SVP worldwide product marketing and there is such a lack of ENERGY/PRIDE/EXCITEMENT at all in his presentation of Apples products- past or present!

this guy makes enough money he can see Tim Robbins to purchase a 1:1 personality by now!

Christ’s sake! He KEEPS slipping by. And the content of his speech literary was outspoken by almost every other presenter on the video! Apple come on!

Lisa - at least seems genuinely to love: Apple, her role at Apple which initially was scoffed by members here, but she had enthusiasm, now my home girl is risking her own safety to make her point about future goal of Apple to be ZERO carbon Neutral by going stylistically cray-cray with a smile standing in the Apple Park ROOF!

End of line, Jozwiak!

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Bets are going on let’s find out what happens!!!

Actually, Apple has leaked a lot about them. Not only did the name of them leak in an Apple support video, but deep in iOS, there’s an interface, their’s sound effects, there’s a new tab for the find my app specifically for them.
They exist, they’re an actual product.

How does it feel being wrong? Even Apple has confirmed their existence.

This made me laugh hahaha ?

OCT.13.2020 and STILL no AirTags! No Product! No Announcement. ?

It’s not a product - it’s a feature which can be done with software and chips already into products that we have. It’s such a niche and small market that cannot really be improved upon for products Apple themselves do NOT sell nor make any revenue, profit or brand name recognition for. AirTags as a product makes no damn sense.

I said it before and you guys keep laughing at me with a screenshot of a supposed leak of internal troubleshooting 3 OS versions back and it’s still not here. As a product this is cheap and simple to mass produce and worthless hence why AirTags is not a product.

juannacho

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
As your man Chase Jarvis says "The Best Camera Is The One That's With You"...

Regarding zoom claims, saying your "zoom" is 4x your wide angle is just plain deception. Very poor...

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Regarding zoom claims, saying your "zoom" is 4x your wide angle is just plain deception. Very poor...

Quoting "zoom range" or "zoom" as the multiplier/ratio between lowest & highest focal length has been common to compact cameras and video cameras for what seems like forever. At least 30 years to my personal recollection.

Specifications page @ Apple makes the zoom range pretty clear, so I'm not sure just what's deceptive?

How exactly would you describe the zoom range?

Be nice if they gave actual focal length and 35mm equivalents, but it is what it is.

1602767046959.png

Mainyehc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Lisbon, Portugal
ok, apple has been making their phones larger every year since iphone 4(let's leave out the s models). and now that they finally decided to not only do that, but also offer a smaller model(thank god for my wife) you think they deserve to look like some kind of pioneers? bull.

… errr, yes? It's extremely hard to shoehorn the electronics and battery needed for an entirely new cellular networking technology into a smaller package. Miniaturization was, for the longest time, a process that entailed a big premium in consumer electronics products (think SONY Walkman and point-and-shoot cameras, for instance).

These gigantic, battery-draining screens on smartphones are a bit of an historical anomaly that come from people's obsession with using them for, well, all kinds of tasks, and if you look at other product categories, miniaturization or thinness is still the norm. Yes, even in the PC world, albeit not to the obsessive extent Apple's industrial design team takes it.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
… errr, yes? It's extremely hard to shoehorn the electronics and battery needed for an entirely new cellular networking technology into a smaller package. Miniaturization was, for the longest time, a process that entailed a big premium in consumer electronics products (think SONY Walkman and point-and-shoot cameras, for instance).

These gigantic, battery-draining screens on smartphones are a bit of an historical anomaly that come from people's obsession with using them for, well, all kinds of tasks, and if you look at other product categories, miniaturization or thinness is still the norm. Yes, even in the PC world, albeit not to the obsessive extent Apple's industrial design team takes it.

ok, but since apple position themselves as a premium brand(which they have every right to), should be expected to live up to that without being praised for it quite so much. just my opinion, man. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.