Apple Event on Sept 9 and the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shergill, Aug 29, 2008.

1. shergill macrumors member

I was thinking about buying an iPhone this weekend; but I noticed that there is an Apple Event on Sept 9th. Anyone think they might update the iphone capacity at this event? probably bump the 8gig up to 16 or something?

Thanks

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

umm. there already is a 16gb. for sizes greater than 16gb, please consult the other 47 threads asking this.

3. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

personally, i doubt it because they released the iphone 3g less than 6 months ago. but then, its apple, and anything can happen.

4. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

i think the OP meant making 16gb the lower end model

5. shergill thread starter macrumors member

Wasn't it September last year when they did the price reduction? So may happen again.. instead of a 8 and 16.. they may have a 16gig and 32gig at this event.

6. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

I don't think there is a chance at all that this will happen...reason is that Apple caught so much crap for lowering the price soon after the initial release that last time I don't think they dare doing something to that effect again...

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

they learned their lesson last year when they dropped the price 2 months after the release of the phone. they are not going to make even more people mad this year by bringing out a new capacity 2 months after launch. if they did, it wouldn't be just a matter of issuing coupons...people would demand free upgrades to the higher capacity phone.

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

dream on, and again, consult the other 47 threads.

9. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Yeah ... I can (almost) guarantee there's not going to be a 32gig iPhone this year.

Cause you know ... Apple is churning out *millions* of 8 and 16 gig models because they want people to buy the 32 gig version they have yet to announce. :rolleyes:

10. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Do you folks really think with the problems the iPhone 3G has been experiencing in the less than 60 days since it was released, that they are going to either reduce the price or increase storage capacity? What dream world are you all living in?

They took so much heat last year when the dropped the price that I can guarantee it isn't going to happen again this near the release date. And as for increasing storage capacity, that is no more likely as there are many people who will scream.

These are both marketing nightmares and WILL NOT happen.

Add on to that the fact that they are still selling these things at a rather brisk pace. It's not like they are sitting on store shelves and Apple needs to do something to increase sales.

11. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

This is totally correct....there just can't be an update...if there is I will have lost faith in Apple.... September 9th is probably going to be for the ipods and itunes.....

12. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I think that instead of doing anything hardware related it's going to be focused on software. They're probably going to showcase some improvements to MobileMe that are going to sync other aspects of the phone to the cloud and to the Mac/PC. Any hardware changes are probably going to be concentrated on the MacBook.

13. infosprt macrumors regular

I didn't catch it. Did Apple announce an event for Sept 9? If so does anyone have a link to it?

14. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

It's not a matter of losing faith in Apple for me. I am thinking about this as a business person would and it would be the height of stupidity for Apple to do anything with the iPhone that would result in negative press at this point. I suspect the iPhone will come up at the September 9th event but it will come up in terms of "here is the latest firmware"...."it fixes the 3G issues"...."it fixes some security issues".... and "look at some of the new cool features we included in the firmware."

There have been rumors about updates to iTunes, iPod updates and possibly some MacBook updates (the latter may come at a different event).

15. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

No nothing that has been announced...that is what we are all assuming....

16. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

Yeah by losing faith I meant more in terms of like you said an intellect level...not the ability to put out world class product....because even for all the problems with the iPhone there still isn't a better phone going at this time....

God I hope they update the MBP!

17. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

Im with you on this one, I am so sick of these people wanting more memory more features. ITS A FREAKING PHONE PEOPLE!

18. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I'm not sick of people wanting more storage, I'm just sick of reading about it. :)

19. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

idk if anyone has said it yet but maybe they'll announce the 2.1 update.

20. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

well, I feel confident that they will mention the 1.2 firmware. I would love the firmware on sept 9th. But I'm just expecting another one of those "end of the month" announcements.

21. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

just to re-iterate, if you truly think there is going to be a rev to the iPhone 3G, which will be less than 2 months old on Sept 9, let me know if there's any room left on that cloud your living on where pigs fly and hell is frozen... :rolleyes:

but seriously, i'm not a gambling man, but i would lay down some heavy coin on the fact that the only thing iPhone related will be the 2.1 firmware and maybe something with MobileMe that pertains to the iPhone.

we're going to see 2.1 get released, iTunes 8, maybe a Touch revision and likely a price-reduction, and i'm also betting on a new Nano with a bigger screen, skinnier body, and an accelerometer to let you watch movies in landscape.

22. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Really? Why add the cost? Why not just play movies in landscape be default?

23. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Definitely cannot imagine an accelerometer. If the mockups are correct, the screen will be similar in width to the 1st/2nd gen Nanos...a movie played in portrait would be postage stamp size.

Wait, this is a whole other discussion for a whole other topic in a whole other forum. Nevermind.

24. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Maybe the 2.1 update will unlock that disabled 16 GB of additional storage for all of us. I heard on the interwebs that they were going to do that in September.

I'm only joking.

25. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

maybe not, i think it's just to make it so that the controls can be on the right or left depending on whether you are right or left handed. and the orientation of the click-wheel needs to shift. its just speculation on my part. i don't think its going to add that much too the cost not to mention that Apple's been pretty open about the fact that they are going to be making dramatically lower margins on "upcoming releases." but like i said, it's just my guess/wishful thinking. it probably will just be software based, but like i said, i don't think an accelerometer is going to break the bank.