Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
And yes, Apple's product line is a mess. The naming scheme itself is enough to give any consumer a headache. When Steve Jobs came back and talked about scrapping the hundreds of products Apple had to made it easier for consumers to understand. 4 computer products. Portable and desktop - a Pro and consumer version for each.

I doubt Cook could fluently name the current product line, and certainly couldn't distinguish between their features in any great detail.
It feels like Apple is going back to 90's with all those Quadras, Performas, Centris, LC, etc.

Maybe iPhone SE name was a homage to Macintosh SE?..

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Yes but USB 3 doesn't get 625 mb/sec! Try 170 or so. And that's if you're using something like a 7200 rpm drive. Most I've seen is about 200.
Ever try using a SSD in a USB 3.0 interface? It'll saturate it up to 500mb/sec that the SSD is capable of. Speaking of SSD's, even the almost 2 year old Air 2 can read at 244mb/sec and write at 86mb/sec. In other words, USB 2.0 is crippling even the Air 2. Now almost 2 years later, the iPP 9.7 which will have have flash ram that should be just as fast as what's found in the iphone 6S and iPP 12.9, is capable of reading at 400+ mb/sec and writing at 160+ mb/sec is now being crippled at 25mb/sec. Transferring 2 2.5gb movies would take over 3 minutes instead of just 30 seconds! Reading files and pictures off your 'pro' device would even have much more to gain as you could transfer files at 400mb/sec.

Last edited:

tampageek

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2015
Florida, USA
On Apple's website, the iPad Pro 9.7 inch Smart Cover is separate from the iPad Air 2 Smart Cover, but they're exactly the same size. Does anyone know whether the iPad Air 2 Smart Cover will work with the new iPad Pro?

Probably not because of the 4 speakers vs 2 on the iPad Air 2. The cover would need 2 extra cut outs

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
nope. not gonna buy. try better next time apple, and lower the price to what it always was, especially now that sales are going lower, i will not upgrade for the first time. This is pushing the limit too much.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
USB 2.0 speeds in 2016 on a new product?!
Like selling cars without fuel-injection... so lame, apple!

Yep... Probably a technical limitation..as Apple would use the excuse as.

Double-talk at the event.

Since the smart keyboard is $20 less at a smaller size, why not get it..

I don't get that last one.... "iPhone SE Touch ID - The iPhone SE adopts many features from the iPhone 6s, but it does not include the next-generation Touch ID sensor. The iPhone SE continues to use the Touch ID sensor from earlier iPhone models."

How can u not use Touch ID from the iPhone 6s, but still have Touch ID?

Last edited:

tx4app

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2015
Austin TX
Ever try using a SSD in a USB 3.0 interface? It'll saturate it up to 500mb/sec that the SSD is capable of. Speaking of SSD's, even the almost 2 year old Air 2 can read at 244mb/sec and write at 86mb/sec. In other words, USB 2.0 is crippling even the Air 2. Now almost 2 years later, the iPP 9.7 which will have have flash ram that should be just as fast as what's found in the iphone 6S and iPP 12.9, is capable of reading at 400+ mb/sec and writing at 160+ mb/sec is now being crippled at 25mb/sec. Transferring 2 2.5gb movies would take over 3 minutes instead of just 30 seconds! Reading files and pictures off your 'pro' device would even have much more to gain as you could transfer files at 400mb/sec.

It's really annoying that Apple would appear to have employed a user-facing I/O technology with a specification released in 2000. That's not just old; it's prehistoric. Granted, there've been errata and enhancements since then, and there's the point that currently deployed storage systems can't keep up with the theoretical maximum of USB 3, but there's no denying that USB 3 is significantly faster than 2, and not just theoretical, but real-world timings. USB 3's specification arrived in late 2008, and even that's old today with 3.1 superseding it in 2013. It seems this was an intentional limitation imposed to differentiate further the 9.7 Pro from its 6-month older sibling, and perhaps to affirm the previous purchaser's confidence at having bought the 12.9" model and not just for the screen size.

Last edited:

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014

I don't get that last one.... "iPhone SE Touch ID - The iPhone SE adopts many features from the iPhone 6s, but it does not include the next-generation Touch ID sensor. The iPhone SE continues to use the Touch ID sensor from earlier iPhone models."

It (apparently) doesn't have the second gen touch ID ("next gen" touch ID) of the 6s, which is much faster than the older touch ID on the 5s, 6/6+ and (seemingly) SE, and other iPads (not sure if Pro has second gen or not)

I love second gen touch ID, because its so freaking fast - but not everyone likes it, because some find it too fast. I use locked notes, unlock the phone frequently, and find it crucial for speed in general imo.

Still hoping the SE has 2nd gen touch ID though via hardware teardown

Reactions: orbital~debris

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
yeah, a consistent and well designed product line and development looks different, ...

(sadly Steve would not have allowed this :-/)
So you know what Steve would have allowed?

So many tears being shed today......

Not interested in any of these products but I'm surely not going to whine and cry about them. Don't like them don't buy them easy peasy.
"I want a 4" iPhone.... but it doesn't have the new touch ID sensor"....... some will NEVER be satisfied.

joecool99

Suspended
Aug 20, 2008
USA

indeed - this holding back on latest technology in new products pisses me off!
terrible mentality to save few $ per device :confused:
apple is not doing as it's preaching!

legacy interface USB 2.0 and 2y old finger print sensor in 2016 product :eek:

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
I don't know what Apple is thinking, the hardware is NOT THE PROBLEM, it's the OS stupid. There's nothing "pro" about iOS, in fact it's horrible for getting things done, because it lacks fundamental features such as file manager, peripheral and real printer support. For god's sake you can't even set default apps, which is completely absurd for a supposed "productivity" device.

joecool99

Suspended
Aug 20, 2008
USA
I don't know what Apple is thinking, the hardware is NOT THE PROBLEM, it's the OS stupid. There's nothing "pro" about iOS, in fact it's horrible for getting things done, because it lacks fundamental features such as file manager, peripheral and real printer support. For god's sake you can't even set default apps, which is completely absurd for a supposed "productivity" device.

ABSOLUTELY!
This needs to be on iPad to make it anywhere near PRO:

2x USB-C ports
microSD port
1x microphone input

yeah!, real SW - for a start:
- finder, file management for 4K edit videos etc.
- default apps per file .EXT

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

vpndev

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2009
I wonder if the "embedded Apple SIM" will be locked if used on AT&T, as happens to the separate nano-SIM.

Anyone know?

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
ABSOLUTELY!
This needs to be on iPad to make it anywhere near PRO:

2x USB-C ports
microSD port
1x microphone input

yeah!, real SW - for a start:
- finder, file management for 4K edit videos etc.
- default apps per file .EXT

I don't understand why Apple keeps putting these ridiculously fast CPUs and 4GB of RAM in a device that runs an OS that caters to grandmas. No real "professional" can ever replace their laptop or desktop with a 12.9in stylus-enabled iPhone, and apparently this simple truth keeps evading the highly paid braintrust at Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.