Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
That 16” MPB has come from left field hasn’t it?

I agree with others though, no new design will be a big disappointment and kinda surprising if Apple don’t want to make a big show of the new era.

Unless... all sizes of laptop are ready to go after all and its just a straight switch which gets the chips out there quickly and then a re-design next year? ?

Edited... The full article says Gurman expects all laptops to make the switch. interesting...

Last edited:

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
How do you know they are wrong? Did they change their original story?

A mixture of what the leakers who can be trusted have said, what we’ve seen in Big Sur code and common sense about where they actually will be in the Apple Silicon line.

I’ll give you £200 if Intel aren’t still the top end 13” and 16” MBP after the 10th November. The lower end 13” MBP was left untouched in the summer still using Intel 8th Gen processors so it could be upgraded first. It all makes sense form both a PR, business, econmics and customer service stand point. Apple aren’t going to replace 6 month old machines with new ones and chips that beat the top end of what Intel have to offer (and specifically graphics) wont be ready yet.

Also they can introduce the low end machines into the market where they have the advantage (power efficiency) and the uptake helps get all the apps converted over so when the more serious machines do arrive the system is more mature from a software stand point too. The 16” is likely to become Apple Silicon when it’s refreshed with Mini LED probably around this time next year - and they won’t want to be selling the same 16” MBP from November 2019 by then, hence a small Intel refresh for the 16” MBP 2020.

tymeframe

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2020
Why rush to market a premium product like the MacBook Pro range?
When Apple transitioned to Intel, the 15" MacBook Pro was one of the first computers announced to use the new processors.

I'm still curious if we'll see a name change like with the Intel line.

zamin

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2013
United Kingdom
Have been waiting for this moment for months now; so glad it's finally happening! This will hopefully be my second ever Mac, upgrading from my early-2011 13" i7 MBP.

I don't envision a redesign at all with this next generation of MacBooks. The benefits of ARM silicon will be more than enough to differentiate this range from the previous Intel models - with an emphasis on improved performance and battery life.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Have been waiting for this moment for months now; so glad it's finally happening! This will hopefully be my second ever Mac, upgrading from my early-2011 13" i7 MBP.

I don't envision a redesign at all with this next generation of MacBooks. The benefits of ARM silicon will be more than enough to differentiate this range from the previous Intel models - with an emphasis on improved performance and battery life.

Apart from the premium 13” Intel MBP will still exist - the AS is only replacing the entry level models.

Reactions: BillyiPad95

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Ok, I was a little worried that there would be a redesign along with the AS introduction. I can sit back and wait for reviews over the next few months until the 14" (fingers crossed) is released.

MetalProgrammer

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2019
I think it would be very strange to not bring the new AS MBP with the redesigned display. Why not stick with the Intel version and wait for the redesigns then? Guess my MB 12 will have to do much longer then. Considering COVID19, travel will not push me to upgrade anyways ...
Especially with the MBP 16 claim, I would not bet anything on this “leak“
It's actually a very smart move. I am surprised as well, though. But it makes sense, first iteration they will not want that many people on board to iron out the kinks, and then for the second gen they will be ready for the wave of people who want one. Also, this way they already have their next MacBook Pro lined up, which eases some of the pressure to come out with yet another wow factor design soon after this one.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Part of the reason I'm an Apple user is because aesthetics matter.
But aesthetics are useless when function is compromised noticeably. The ultimate in minimalist design would be to replace a MacBook with a blank sheet of paper, but then what would you have?

I’ll still take an old wrapper (current MacBook design) with non-windows, non-chrome book any day of the week still, even as Apple still handicaps the OSX with a childish Fisher-Price My first MacBook appearance (that’s only getting worse by the looks of it, heading into Big Slur). Futunately/unfortunately, I’m ready to replace my 2014 MBA though, Apple’s killed my productivity and ability to use the expensive software I’d purchased just 5 years ago (Logic Express 9, Adobe Photoshop, etc).

Last edited:

zamin

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2013
United Kingdom
Apart from the premium 13” Intel MBP will still exist - the AS is only replacing the entry level models.
I was under the same impression, however a quick look on Apple's UK website revealed that the £1799 model is currently out of stock, shipping all the way into December! So we could potentially see the entire line-up shifted over to Apple Silicon. Time will tell I suppose!

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
A mixture of what the leakers who can be trusted have said, what we’ve seen in Big Sur code and common sense about where they actually will be in the Apple Silicon line.

I’ll give you £200 if Intel aren’t still the top end 13” and 16” MBP after the 10th November. The lower end 13” MBP was left untouched in the summer still using Intel 8th Gen processors so it could be upgraded first. It all makes sense form both a PR, business, econmics and customer service stand point. Apple aren’t going to replace 6 month old machines with new ones and chips that beat the top end of what Intel have to offer (and specifically graphics) wont be ready yet.

Also they can introduce the low end machines into the market where they have the advantage (power efficiency) and the uptake helps get all the apps converted over so when the more serious machines do arrive the system is more mature from a software stand point too. The 16” is likely to become Apple Silicon when it’s refreshed with Mini LED probably around this time next year - and they won’t want to be selling the same 16” MBP from November 2019 by then, hence a small Intel refresh for the 16” MBP 2020.
Your logic is reasonable and sound. I thought it was crazy when the article said 16 MBP. I wasn't expecting the 16 MBP until mid next year at the earliest.

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
A lot of people seem extremely sure that Apple can't deliver on graphics performance. You should just have a look at some performance tests for the now 2 year old iPad Pro.

And that is a device optimized for mobile usage, with a small battery (compared to a full sized laptop) and no active cooling. Apple has way more freedom to crank up that performance in the form factor of a MBP 16 inch.

We also have zero idea what Apple's chip team has been doing in this area for the last years. They have been working on that for a long time. Apple did not make that decision this spring.

I don't know how likely it is. But it is definitely not so impossible as some people seem to think.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Super excited to see what these new ASi Macs can do performance-wise. It is a bit unfortunate if they aren't doing anything with the form factor, but the latest round of Air's and Pro's aren't exactly poorly designed. A couple of my kids are on the latest gen Air's and my wife just got a new 13" MBP from her work, and I love the the thin and light design.

I'm ready to upgrade my early 2013 rMBP 15", although I just did a bunch of maintenance on it and it's running well still (other than the battery needing replacement and the screen brightness level was never a strong suit).

The fact that I'm spending more time on my 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", which has been my daily driver for the past couple of years, gives me pause on updating the MBP. I'd actually like to update the iPad Pro, once they put the newer A14 chip in it, perhaps add 5G too. I'm even ok with the screen staying as is, if they're not ready to bring mini-LED to market yet.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas

I don't think they can make them much thinner as you still need room for the USB ports.

zamin

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2013
United Kingdom
Part of the reason I'm an Apple user is because aesthetics matter.

If they didn't, I'd be getting a Windows PC (those XPS machines look better and better), or a current and arguably more flexible Apple machine right now. I'm due for an upgrade (on 2011 hardware still), so I want something "pretty". ;)

Since 2001, when I first saw OS X (Jaguar?), and the blue iMac and G3 tower, Apple has been the you-know-what of my eye.

Then after that, the tabletop iMac (my all-time favorite), the cube, on and on... Man, you made me time travel there to better days, when my wallet was empty but my house was FULL of almost every Apple product and I had a BIG smile on my face.
I do agree to an extent, it would be nice to see them refresh what is essentially the same design they've been using for years now. However, with Apple Silicon I'm willing to overlook the design aspect as it's aged really quite well to my eyes at least. Small additions like the touchbar etc. do help to bring the design up to date imo.

Reactions: Coolkiwi

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
When Apple transitioned to Intel, the 15" MacBook Pro was one of the first computers announced to use the new processors.

Because Intel had suitable processors ready.

Apple need to build a) a bigger CPU cluster b) a much bigger GPU cluster c) some sort of high-bandwidth memory to feed all those clusters d) a new ultra-fast interconnect to wire it all up and e) tons of cache

If they were ready with all these components, they could have also released a high-end desktop. But the rumors are suggesting that all this high-end stuff in coming next year (the Lifuka chip etc.).

Unless of course its a rather anemic version of the 16" which I severely doubt — why would they release a 16" Apple Silicon version that is slower than the current one?

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
They won’t, this story is wrong. 16” MBP will be an Intel refresh. There will be two lower end 13” MacBooks with Apple Silicon, and top end 13” MacBook Pro with Intel will stay too.
Why do you think the much superior chips will go into the lower end machines? Laptops are limited by their thermal budget, so it is to be expected that AS Macbook not only are faster, but also much quieter while featuring a much longer battery life.
If anything, I'd expect the situation to be the other way round

swm

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2013
Well, in single-core, the iPhone is already on par or beating anything Intel or AMD can offer. A 8-core A14 with slightly higher clocks will handily outperform any i9 at a much lower power consumption.
i wanted to do some comparison. so let's just assume the A14Z (or whatever it will be named) is the same way improved over A14 as the A12Z (the one that is in the arm mini DTK) over A12. we're about to see +60% performance increase in multicore with the A14Z over the A14, and the A14 alone is quite impressive.

so we can have (synthetic) GB5 scores around 1592 for single core, and 4312 + 60% = 6900.

the latest 8 core i9 running at 2.4GHz is barely above that. and delivers ~30% less single core performance.
apple silicon seems to be a beast. and we can easily get a lot better cpu than the A14Z for the big guns.

Reactions: agsystems
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.