Apple Exec Overseeing Siri Departs Role

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 1, 2019.

1. preetb macrumors member

2. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

3. davidespinosa macrumors newbie

I wouldn't either. He's tall and has CEO hair. I fully expect him to succeed Tim.
    Have you seen Giannandrea's resume? Same story -- no actual machine learning publications.

4. hagar macrumors 6502a

Not getting a joke and consequently lashing out at people is apparently also a thing now.

5. SeattleMoose macrumors 68000

Your restraint is already legendary :cool:

6. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Perhaps that's because "unpause" is bad English.

I never "unpark" my car. Aeroplanes don't "unland". And in the morning I don't "unsleep".

Perhaps if you'd said "play my music" Siri would have understood.

7. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

Honestly, I don’t have any issues with placing calls through my AirPods. Even when I’m mumbling in a full tram or metro. Hey, Siri works just fine too. I rely on Siri quite a lot.

8. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

So I asked the HomePod who is barrack Obama and it gave me the correct answer. I then asked who is his wife- Sorry I can’t do that here.

I asked the HomePod what is the capital of the United States- Washington DC. Next question- What time is it there? It gave me the time in the UK.

I asked one of my google home minis the same questions in the same sequences and it got everything right.

9. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

Yeah, Siri doesn’t do follow-up questions.

10. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

It has been able to do it sporadically on my iPhone but for the most part it’s a waste of time even asking. I know what the HomePod can do and I stick to that. However the google assistant is always surprising me.

11. ch1ptune macrumors newbie

Siri is not perfect in any way, but definitely not as bad as you make her out to be. I’m using Siri all the time for music, HomeKit commands, timers, lookups, definitions, weather, Apple TV pause/skip/play commands. And she understands me correctly almost all the time. So to be honest, I have a hard time believing that it could be as bad for you as you say it is. Out of curiosity, what language do you speak with Siri?

12. Futurix macrumors 6502

Futurix

Unpause is not a word. What you want is resume.

13. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

I just say pause and when I want it to resume I say play.

14. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Yaaaaaaay. Siri is putrid we all know it. Bring on smarter, better, faster leaders. I use Siri daily for the basics but it’s limitations are redonk. Bringing Siri up to scratch should be the iOS team’s soul priority in future updates.

15. PJL500 macrumors regular

There can be no question that he was working for Bezos all along.His departure will be a huge blow to Alexa.

16. Minxy macrumors regular

I've fully used Google Assistant, Alexa and Siri. Quite frankly Siri is so bad in comparison with language recognition and capabilities that it is just a toy in comparison.

17. ipedro, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019

ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Not only does Siri do follow up questions, she’s able I understand context in a string. Notice that Siri understood that I was speaking about Michelle Obama in my third follow up question.

Here’s a more complex series of follow up questions. Siri understands context as well as which person you’re asking about without having to specifically point out their name again. She understands that “she” in this context is no longer about the first subject, but of the follow up subject, his mother.

18. Halopend macrumors member

Halopend

On google phones they were able to boil down their language processing into a 30-40mb file so you can still use speech to text offline. It blew my mind when I saw what they could pull off in comparison to Siri, and that was several years ago and it’s only gotten better.

19. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

It’s too inconsistent. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Anyhow all I can do is wait for software updates. I have echo dots and google home minis in other rooms as they only cost £29 but my two HomePods are my main smart speakers and my set up is al Apple so I just have to wait for Siri to improve. It’s good at simple but useful everyday tasks and that’s why I end up using the HomePods more than the others.

As I’ve said before Siri needs parity on all devices.

I asked Siri on my iPhone who is Mariah Carey? It got this right and the next question was how old is she. It got that right.

However I then asked what is the capital of France which it got right but the follow up question being what time is it there? It gave me the time in the UK.

So for me it’s very inconsistent.

20. newdeal macrumors 68020

I really wish siri wouldn't give me driving directions to a Home Depot that is like a hundred miles away in a different company and would instead give me directions to the one closest to my home. I am not sure if that is siris fault or apple maps fault but it is infuriating. That is of course if it even understands what I am asking. The only thing I use it for is to set alarms

21. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

For me it’s

1) Google Assistant
    2) Alexa
    3) Siri

22. iciconnect macrumors newbie

iciconnect

It’s about time someone step up to bring Siri front and center once again!

23. macguru212 macrumors regular

macguru212

I'd like to suggest that Siri needs a Genuine People Personality from the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation. Something smart and chipper, but not psychotic.

24. Defthand, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019

Defthand macrumors 6502a

[edited] Siri, according to its original custodian, was not meant to be a knowledge assistant. It was not designed to answer trivia questions. Yet Apple’s marketing machine contradicted that, showing Siri doing web searches and having life-like conversations with celebs. No wonder Users were angry with the actual results.

Apple even faked much of Siri’s perceived smarts. Remember when Apple collected people’s conversations with Siri and studied them for trends (a.k.a. quality improvements)? The result was cute responses for giggles, and added knowledge bases for popular topics like sports and celebs. It is as artificial as AI can get.

25. Jago macrumors regular

Every 6-12 months, I tend to give Siri another go and to be honest, I haven’t seen any notable improvement in many years. At this point, Siri can supposedly be used in 3 languages I am fluent in: russian, english and finnish, but not really, because it doesn’t actually work. More than half the time instead of answering my query or doing what I ask it to do, it decides to ”look it up for me on the internet”. I can type the Google query myself, thank you very much.

Siri has went from being a first-to-market way to impress some friends to a literal embarrasment.