Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
I would like to see a poc where a homepod is hacked from outside a typical home network without physical access.
Theoretically, an internet connected not updated camera gets hacked on your internal network. That camera opens the door. Using that camera, one can access other devices on your network that have outdated security. Apple patched 30 security holes in the last update. That was on the latest software. I will not have any device on my network that has no future updates. Why I put up with all the bad software Apple puts out and update when software is released.

UWF404

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Apple's strategy on Home Audio/Automation has been head scratching and in many ways erratic. I don't understand why they don't just acquire Sonos and do more interesting things in the home automation market. They have the OS ecosystem, brain power, and enough money to completely disrupt the market. Yet, here they are releasing a regurgitated version of their HomePod.

Reactions: k1121j

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Theoretically, an internet connected not updated camera gets hacked on your internal network. That camera opens the door. Using that camera, one can access other devices on your network that have outdated security. Apple patched 30 security holes in the last update. That was on the latest software. I will not have any device on my network that has no future updates. Why I put up with all the bad software Apple puts out and update when software is released.
I agree theoretically anything can happen.

UWF404

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
I like the idea of this feature. But I’ve found my HomePod Minis, Siri, and the smart home concept in general to not work well. When it does work as expected it is wonderful. But it fails to work as expected so often that I give up on it.
That's been my experience as well. I have HomePod Minis and a house full of Apple Laptops, iPhones, and iPads. The speakers often drop connections or play randomly and IMHO, their 'Home' automation software feels so Mickey Mouse. It almost feels like there is no intentionality to their strategy. Siri is crappy and it doesn't feel like they have done much to improve it.

Reactions: neliason

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Apple says Sound Recognition will be available on both the new HomePod and the existing HomePod mini in a software update that will be released "later this spring"

Love that they brought the HomePod back but looks like this is the end of the road for new feature updates for the OG HomePod owners who stuck it through the discontinuation. Was great while it lasted...

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
I agree theoretically anything can happen.
I gave you the challenge one. Easy one that happens thousands of times daily. Click on email or texts links, you opened the door. To help once the door open, devices that are current in their updates. They call that phishing and it is not theoretical at all. End of the day, one’s best first step in defense, keep software updated. Old stuff with no updates, put in recycle bin. FYI theoretically how bad guys start the process. That what if we do this mentality.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I gave you the challenge one. Easy one that happens thousands of times daily. Click on email or texts links, you opened the door. To help once the door open, devices that are current in their updates. They call that phishing and it is not theoretical at all. End of the day, one’s best first step in defense, keep software updated. Old stuff with no updates, put in recycle bin. FYI theoretically how bad guys start the process. That what if we do this mentality.
When one deals with software vulnerabilities there is a non-zero probability of getting hacked. You can leave your front door open and make it easy for a thief or you can have good locks, a strong door and sophisticated alarm systems. I’m not denying hacking occurs, it occurs even on current software.

The point is like a front door there are things that can be done to make your network harder to penetrate or have a welcome mat at the gate. So let’s be real a determined hacker can eventually bust through older software or not. It’s up to you how easy or difficult it is. Most people don’t know how to make it difficult.

For me, my cameras are on different subnets, so I hopefully made it harder. So are my other iot devices.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Apple says Sound Recognition will be available on both the new HomePod and the existing HomePod mini in a software update that will be released "later this spring,"...

And THAT'S how they push you to upgrade 😂
You're right! They're going to get me to upgrade by improving the capabilities of the HomePod minis that I've had in my house for years. Where would we be if you hadn't discovered their cunning plan?! 🙄

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
This sounds very useful. I’m impressed that Apple is bringing so many features to the Mini and not requiring people to buy an upgraded one.

Too bad we have to wait for the upgraded HomeKit architecture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.