HomePod HomePod AirPlay lag from Mac: anyone experiencing it?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by DeanLubaki, Feb 11, 2018.

?

Are you experiencing lag when AirPlaying to your HomePod?

1. Yes

85.7%
  2. No

14.3%
  1. DeanLubaki macrumors 6502a

DeanLubaki

Anyone experiencing lag when AirPlaying from Mac to the HomePod? I can't even watch Netflix because the lag is too big. Strangely, AirPlaying to my  TV has no lag.
    The lag occurs with iTunes as well.

2. treimche macrumors member

When I'm AirPlaying music from my MacBook Pro to HomePod while browsing the web, some websites will cause the music to skip. It doesn't pause, it keeps going, just no sound for a few seconds. I haven't restarted my MBP in a while, so maybe I'll try that.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

By lag, do you mean it takes 1-2 seconds before any audio is played? If so, welcome to the world of AirPlay. I am hoping AirPlay 2 addresses this but I have seen no such documentation or acknowledgement. If you're just playing audio, this should not matter to most but its definitely a pain if you're trying to stream audio and using any speaker as computer speakers.

4. tazinlwfl macrumors regular

tazinlwfl

Pretty common for AirPlay, but only happens to me when using Chrome. Safari works great to keep audio in sync. Used it for the Super Bowl (NBC.com's livestream, system audio AirPlay'd to AirPort Express, video projector connected to iMac). When I use other apps (like OpenEmu), there's too much lag for wireless AirPlay.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Isn't this an airplay issue that airplay 2 is anticipated to fix? Its not really a homepod issues AFAIK

6. Jesla macrumors 6502a

Jesla

If you are using 5Ghz try switching to the standard LAN connection.

Netflixs has issues on Apple TV if you use 5Ghz. maybe the same with Home Pod.

7. cynics macrumors G4

It’s very hit or miss for me. Using it with my Mac and AppleTV it buffers out in an attempt to sync but I don’t think it gets it right 100% of the time.

8. AndrewSalfinger macrumors newbie

AndrewSalfinger

Yeah I'm having the same issue two when using the HomePod as a audio output via sound settings but when using iTunes to airplay music only to HomePod have no issues...

Hopefully Airplay 2 fixes this issue.

9. Jamester23 macrumors newbie

Jamester23

Has anyone else had this problem? Got the homepod yesterday. Played fine from itunes on mac and from phone. However, it will not play audio from mac beides itunes. Both browsers Safari and Chrome and anything else. I have been through the sound settings and have selected it as output. Still nothing. Have reset my laptop, reset homepod and reset phone. All are on same network. Again, homepod is playing right now music from mac itunes. But nothing else will it play from mac. Took back Homepod yesterday, got a new one and same problem. HELP!

10. mpainesyd macrumors 6502a

mpainesyd

The lipsync delay makes EyeTV unwatchable. I have had to set the EyeTV audio output to internal speakers. Very disappointing.

11. AndrewSalfinger macrumors newbie

AndrewSalfinger

@Jamester23 and @mpainesyd I think the reason behind this is due to Airplay 1 on the Mac limitation due to A1 haves a delay of 1 to 2 seconds and Airplay 2 haves a much shorter delay with the Audio so when apple brings this out to the Mac it should be fine.

You also have to rember that Apple dose not even put Mac as a compatibility device for the HomePod.

12. Phil77354 macrumors regular

Phil77354

I'm basically experiencing the same thing. I believe this has been discussed as well on one of the other threads, that there is a minor lag built-in, I am guessing the streaming to HomePod is due to a small amount of buffering that is done in order to reduce disruptions that may occur in wi-fi transmissions.

13. mpainesyd macrumors 6502a

mpainesyd

It would be useful if Airplay had a setting to delay audio or video to sync them. But I guess that is too much to hope for since the Mac is supported less and less these days.

14. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

Homepod airplay 2 is great but mac is still delay is it cos macos doeant have airplay 2