Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Expands List of Stores Open for Thanksgiving Day [Updated]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As the beginning of the holiday shopping season grows closer in the United States, ifoAppleStore is reporting that several high-profile Apple Stores around the country will be be open on Thanksgiving Day in order to help drive sales for the company. The move marks an expansion from last year, when only a pair of tourist-heavy Apple Stores in Honolulu and Las Vegas were open on Thanksgiving, with Apple working on arrangements for employees to take on holiday shifts.

Apple Retail Store located at the Ala Moana Center in Honolulu, Hawaii
According to insiders, over the past few years several Apple retail market directors have been advocating for more stores to be open on Thanksgiving, believing the company was missing out on substantial holiday sales. Apparently their viewpoint prevailed this year, and at least 10 stores will be open some portion of Thanksgiving. Employee schedules to cover the holiday shifts were being prepared over the last two days. Other retailers have drawn criticism from employees for their open-on-Thanksgiving policy, saying it takes them away from their families on the holiday. However, the retailers have said they will try to accommodate employees with alternate time off.
While the list of stores scheduled to be open on Thanksgiving may still expand, it currently includes the following locations:

- Fifth Avenue (NYC)
- West 14th Street (NYC)
- North Michigan Avenue (Chicago)
- Lincoln Road (Miami Beach)
- San Francisco (Calif.)
- Pioneer Place (Portland, Ore.)
- The Grove (LA)
- Third Street Promenade (Santa Monica)
- Fashion Valley (San Diego)
- Ala Moana (Honolulu)

Apple's retail stores posted strong results last quarter, posting $4.5 billion in revenue during the timeframe. The company also traditionally begins the holiday shopping season at its locations with a one-day shopping event during the traditional Black Friday kickoff to the holiday shopping season, which falls this year on November 29. Big box retailers such as Target, Walmart and Best Buy have already advertised upcoming discounts on popular Apple products, with more deals expected to be announced in the coming weeks.

Update: ifoAppleStore has updated its report to state that upon learning of the effort to open stores on Thanksgiving, Apple CEO Tim Cook has canceled it, citing the need for employees to be with their families.

Article Link: Apple Expands List of Stores Open for Thanksgiving Day [Updated]

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Less Turkey, more iPhones. USPS working Sundays. I don't like this trend.

Comment

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
The whole concept of Black Friday is ridiculous to begin with. This is just obnoxious.

The holidays are supposed to be about family, not sales.

Comment

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
Less Turkey, more iPhones. USPS working Sundays. I don't like this trend.

I agree, national holidays should be for everyone. Not just for office workers to be off and go out and torment the retail workers. Holidays should be for everyone, or no one at all.

If it's not profitable, the stores will stay shut on the holidays.

Everybody stay the hell home on Thanksgiving, you don't need an iDevice that badly.......

Comment

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
what a complete shame on all these companies opening earlier and earlier every single year, they have completely lost the whole idea of the holidays and forgot what they're about, they're about families! not your wallets! and being selfish and buying stupid things, family is way more important then going out and fighting people for things

Comment

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
I love Apple, but I for one, will not be shopping anyway where on Thanksgiving. I hate seeing stores open on holidays. I understand not all people celebrate all holidays, but I still hate to see stores open.

Comment

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I don't even leave the house on Thanksgiving or Black Friday other than to be with family.

Not a fan of this move on Apple's part but don't they give the employee's a couple of days off because of this?

Comment

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I agree, national holidays should be for everyone.
One-size fits all statements like that never work for everybody.

I think that if a company can pull off being open on holidays in a way that works for their employees, then good for them.

I managed a McD's years ago that was located in a shopping center that had a grocery store that was open (and very busy) Thanksgiving morning. The McD's owner noticed that and told us he wanted his McD's open for breakfast Thanksgiving (to take advantage of the grocery store crowd). I didn't know how this would fly, but I put up a "Hey, do you want to work Thanksgiving morning?" sign-up sheet in the break room with 10 slots on it, and it was filled in a day or two later. Turns out there were a ton of employees that found being around their house on Thanksgiving morning boring. Thanksgiving mornings turned out to be one the most fun shifts to work, and business was incredible. There was never an issue finding willing employees.

Comment

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Come on Tim, time to put families before sales. I know you give the employees other time off to make up for it, but Im guessing most families won't gather like everyone can on Thanksgiving.

Certain people will have to work thanksgiving regardless, but retail shouldn't be one of them.

edit: Well done Tim!

Last edited:
Comment

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I don't shop back Friday but...

Whether you like it or not it is at least a 50+ year retail tradition... when the economy tanked in 2009 Black Friday (and holiday sales) were used as part of the overall indicator of the health of economy (not enough people went to shop).

It is capitalism, yes. but before you go up in arms talking about how evil and greedy American corps are, remember, not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving or X-Mas. So working in holidays is welcomed by many employees (either extra cash or extra days off to be used as needed, such as - Get this - their own religious holidays - Diwali, Eid, etc...).

Comment

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
This seriously pisses me off. My condolences to the poor folks that work at these stores that will have to run out on family at Thanksgiving to go sell crap at the Apple Store.

Comment

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
it's just ONE day. they make a boat load of money already. is being closed on Thanksgiving going to kill them?

One very important shopping day. Notice that the MAJORITY of stores are closed that day, except those 10 or 20 or whatever the final number is

And again, some people actually like to work on holidays / after holidays. Different faith, different walks of life.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, but some people don't like thanksgiving. I was once chatting to an Iraqi girl in NYC and she said something along the lines of "all my family is dead". So, there you go. I'm sure she'll be more than happy to work and get her mind of things if she gets the choice, rather than get constantly reminded that in the time families are enjoying time together, she is alone.

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I used to say stores should be closed, but thinking about it, why not be open? If employees want to make the extra money and customers want to spend money, why not be open? Obviously if employees don't want to work for any amount of money you shouldn't be open, but if shoppers exist then I'm sure employees exist, too.

Not everyone, sad as it is, has family, so to them, thanksgiving is nothing special.

Comment

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I used to say stores should be closed, but thinking about it, why not be open? If employees want to make the extra money and customers want to spend money, why not be open? Obviously if employees don't want to work for any amount of money you shouldn't be open, but if shoppers exist then I'm sure employees exist, too.

Not everyone, sad as it is, has family, so to them, thanksgiving is nothing special.

This isn't a situation where the employee and their desire to make some extra cash is factored in. It's more of a situation where they tell you that if you don't go in and work that day then you won't be needed for any of the days after it going forward.

Comment

kenzbud

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
I'm glad they cancelled this idea. Everybody should have the Thanksgiving off in retail to spend time with family/friends. Plus everybody should relax before the busiest shopping day of the year.

Comment

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth
Others doing things behind the CEO's back Good for Tim for shutting down that idea down.

"upon learning of the effort to open stores on Thanksgiving, Apple CEO Tim Cook has canceled it, citing the need for employees to be with their families."

Comment

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA
Much respect to Mr. Cook for nixing this terrible idea.

And in retail, it's not about what you want to work, it's about what they want you to work. I feel bad for the Walmart and BB employees that have to give up their Thanksgiving evening so they can be at work before 6pm to start the Gray Thursday sales. Either go to work, or you will have no work to go to.

I for one will not be doing any shopping on Thursday, and I definitely won't be out on Friday! I may go by Walmart in the afternoon to see if they have any of the cheap Blu-Ray movies left, but no big deal if they don't.

Comment

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
We don't celebrate Thanksgiving over here but I'm glad we've adopted your Black Friday sales day. Hoping to get a new Retina MBP on Black Friday. Anyone know what the likely % discount will be from previous experience?

Comment

giardinop

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
I'm glad they cancelled this idea. Everybody should have the Thanksgiving off in retail to spend time with family/friends. Plus everybody should relax before the busiest shopping day of the year.

Yes, because only retail should have the day off. :eek:

Damn, What about all the other business that are open and police, fire, etc.

Maybe if people didn't shop on thanksgiving the stores would be closed. The people with the day off are not spending time with family, they are going shopping.

Comment

alm99

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
This isn't a situation where the employee and their desire to make some extra cash is factored in. It's more of a situation where they tell you that if you don't go in and work that day then you won't be needed for any of the days after it going forward.

This

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.