Apple Expected to Announce New Products as Soon as Next Week, Supply Chain Sources Say

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Michaeljones14 macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2017 ---
    I have just cancelled my iMac as I was not sure I was doing the right thing, and sent it back having changed my mind because of the uncertainty around what is happening with iMac with the new products announcements. I for one will not be spending my money until a new iMac is released especially taking into account the price hike in the U.K. Following a decision made by Apple to increase the prices this year.

2. happydude macrumors 65816

happydude

3. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

I bet they'll lower prices in time for back to school sales.

4. malexandria macrumors 6502a

I think it'd be refreshing if there WASN'T an big media event for something that's just going to have incremental changes. Apple is a victim of their own success in this case. I have an iPad Air 128 GB Cellular that I purchased on day one and have zero desire to purchase another $1,000 iPad. This one works well and all I do is use it for reading anyway because I can't use it for real work. So until Apple does something to brick it, I don't see myself ever upgrading and when the time comes, I'd rather spend $1,000 getting a Macbook or whatever equivalent device is available at the time.
    maybe the announcement will be that they can finally properly manufacture their stupid air pods?

5. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

The iPads shipoing today are being hobbled by iOS. Adding new models won't change that. For the iPad to thrive will require Apple to devote more resources to update iOS specifically for the iPad.

6. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Apple's prices are getting too high. We recently replaced an old iMac with a PC that does everything we need it to. With rumors of iPhones being priced at or above 1k we won't be buying those either. When it's time for another iPhone we are looking at getting SE's.

I love my gadgets as much as everyone else but giving Apple more money every few years for basically the same products is just a bad investment for us. When my iPad expires I'm not sure what we will do. My husband is using a 3 year old MBP for email and web browsing only these days ...so we won't be replacing that either. Rather than buying endless gadgets all the time we have decided to save our money instead.

7. nutriousmitten macrumors member

No event certainly makes sense if spec bumps. For IPads and anything else. Who knows, maybe Imac spec bumps too? IPads have been pretty slow to get any solid proof or solid rumors of major of changes outside of supply chain stuff (ie seen no new cases etc), the lower selling IMacs would fly even lower under the radar.

For a brand new form factor for the IPad, more then a press release, you'd expect though. And updated pencil?

8. MrGuder macrumors 68000

MrGuder

Something you also have to consider is let's say Apple lowers the prices of the current MBP. So they would also have to decrease the prices of the 2016 refurbished models as well otherwise why would people buy the 2016 refurbs if they are more or the same price of the current MBP?

9. malexandria macrumors 6502a

Yep. Although for me, I'm a writer, so I really need a real keyboard for work - the touch pad sucks and hurts my fingers after a few minutes and I've yet to find a Keyboard Case setup that doesn't feel cheap and flimsy.

10. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

The funny part is, those lyrics make more sense than the real ones. Joe Elliott must have had a crystal ball in 1987 to see this coming! I can totally see a not insignificant percentage of all red iPhones coming with this as a custom engraving.

11. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Maybe a new Mac Pro, iMac, and Mac mini with upgradable components and no spinning storage at a reasonable price? :D

Nah...

12. NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

Typo on my part. These were cMP's still in service because their PCIe slots were still needed. Not free, but cheap enough that I bought them.

13. FriendlyMackle macrumors regular

FriendlyMackle

I also have an Air 1 cellular, but I 'cheaped out' and bought the 32GB (since I really don't keep anything on the ipad other than books and PDFs, a tiny amount of music) - and that cost me $867 (NYC, with taxes). What really bothers me is the anorexic RAM included in this model. Out of the box Safari performed worse with the then current OS version due to (I guess) heavier 'weight' and greater utilization of system resources. My iPad 3 prior to that browsed well and could hold several tabs without refreshing every single time I switched to another tab or jumped into another app.

I WOULD have upgraded to the 9.7 'Pro'...if Apple had not intentionally gimped it at 2GB RAM (while the 12.9" model had 4GB). No thanks. I fully agree, and I'll never spend that much on an iPad again, due to it's significant limitations (for me!); I would put the $1K toward a new macbook of some sort. My 2012-2013 Retina 15" is still going strong, and it's mostly a backup to my iMac. The 12" macbook really does appeal. I would just like to see a little more power, more RAM (for longevity), and more of a price drop.

14. MellowFuzz macrumors 6502

Because they have no other ideas... and I'm not even joking.
    ... buy WHY did it happen occasionally in the past? Oh wait, it was because Steve Jobs actually had them working and getting results.
    Forget that - the dirt cheap Android phone I bought my mum kicks Apple's ass all over the park. They just keeping pushing the cost curve down the way it should.

15. Relentless Power macrumors 604

Relentless Power

I would agree that hardware only go so far, if it is Apple's goal to ultimately have the iPad replace your laptop. It's going to require expansion with iOS in certain areas to make it more efficient for the user to have options other than using the laptop.

16. mgauss77 macrumors newbie

mgauss77

Yes a new iMAC. And Apple please get rid of the stink generated by the new way to affix the glass to the unit. Used to be magnetic, now replaced by 3M tape that smells awful for a long time.

17. djcerla macrumors 6502a

djcerla

The stock? It sure doesn't look like that.

Otherwise, the words you're looking for are "Apple" and "Microsoft".

18. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

Wow I didn't realize Apple replaced the magnets.

19. Paris68 macrumors newbie

A bit fed up with iPads and iPhones. What about real computers for real work? Professionals are desperately waiting for an updated Mac Pro. Apple seriously needs to show a commitment to the professional market. Mac Pros may not be as profitable, but iPads and iPhones will lose some of their gloss if Windows is the preferred choice for professional creatives.

20. morcutt11 macrumors regular

morcutt11

I'm interested to see if there are significant changes to the large iPad Pro. I just purchased one a couple of days ago.

21. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

Could you imagine all usb c imac? Think of the dongles hanging off of that or having to get a docking station for your desktop!

--- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2017 ---
    They might be rushing these out because of how dissatisfied people are due to no mac updates.

22. joshen macrumors member

joshen

Yeah, I need new colors

23. WBRacing macrumors 6502

WBRacing

I had to check the username just to see if it was me who wrote this! Spooky...

24. LordVic macrumors 68040

this is something that can't be understated enough.

the mac business might be tiny for Apple compared to iOS devices. But Apple did such a fantastic job creating an ecosystem that works well togther.

ignoring that part of the ecosystem might have consequences. If so many of the people who rely on Mac's are forced to move to windows due to hardware requriements that Apple no longer wants to meet, Than the ecosystem tie in between devices is ultimately broken for them. And if that's the case, they might find that iOS devices are no longer offering the same compelling reasons anymore.

Apple spent way too much time fostering and working o the tie in to give it up

25. thekeyring, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017

thekeyring macrumors 68030

I'll be excited when an invite goes out, I think. Right now it's so silent I'm worried nothing is actually coming.

Even with Apple's extremely limited Mac lineup, they must agree the iMac needs updating. Where are the rumours for that?
    Ever since I heard the theory that the Mac Pro was a major ****up, I've been convinced by it.

In 2013, people thought Apple had given up on the Mac Pro, because it hadn't been updated in 1241 days (other than a 6-core option being added to the lineup). Then they announce "the future of the Pro desktop".

We're almost at the point where we've been waiting another 1200+ days for an update. This isn't apathy. A lack of Mac mini updates is Apple not caring about the product. A lack of Mac Pro updates suggests something went badly wrong.

After all, how easy would it be for "bean counting" Tim Cook to generate a ton of orders by doing nothing but putting up to date processors in the Pro?
    I don't think this is their goal. If it was - why build the retina MacBook? Just knock off the software limitations keeping people from replacing their laptops with iPads.

For me, the iPad would cover most of my computing tasks, but I can't animate on it. No Creative Cloud. No Harmony. So I can either buy an iPad and a Mac, and use the Mac as a specific tool for animating, or just own a Mac and do all my computing on it. Why would I chose to spend an extra £500? I love my Mac, I don't want to pay to use it less!