Apple Expected to Announce New Products as Soon as Next Week, Supply Chain Sources Say

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 13, 2017.

1. LordVic macrumors 68040

if anything, even a silent update to more recent internals would be at least a sign that they understand the nature of the computer industry and how you cannot sit back.

but there's been no cpu updates. no gpu updates, no harddrive updates. Not even a thunderbolt update to thunderbolt 3.

not a single update to a pro model device that people buy to earn a living on, really REALLY showcases to me that Apple's executives either do not understand the computer industry, or are completely out of touch with reality.

the 2013 Mac Pro, was already slightly out of date on launch. it's now 4 years later, updates haven't happened. So everyone else can now operate faster and more efficiently, but if you're in Apple's ecosystem, you haven't had any improvement to your computational ability. that alone could kill someones ability to bid on a project, or fit another project into queue.

At least with the old cheese grater tower mac Pros, you could upgrade hard drives easily adding more, you could add a better GPU. you could replace and update many components to keep it reasonably up to date.

The new tower was absolutely a Form over function design in which someone should have said "no, you cannot give that to professionals who NEED scalability over time to keep up to date". instead, they patted themselves on the back, called it revolutionary, and then promptly forgot about, further re-inforcing that the current leadership at apple does NOT understand the PC industry.

2. Musocat macrumors member

Musocat

Oh, and don't forget the new Apple Watch straps. I've been waiting breathlessly.

3. thekeyring macrumors 68030

Go back and re read my original comment. This doesn't read like you did. The lack of Mac Pro updates is not, in my view, apathy.

4. Relentless Power macrumors 604

Relentless Power

That's incorrect. Actually, It is Apple's purported goal and Tim Cook directly stated he views the iPad replacing the PC ultimately. And I'm not sure how much you have been paying attention lately, but Apple's latest iPad advertisements have indicated how the iPad can replace your PC. (Which I'm not saying can or can't.) Listed below is an article indicating Cooks exact quotes on this.

https://www.macrumors.com/2015/11/09/tim-cook-ipad-pro-can-replace-notebooks-desktops/amp/

5. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Hmm,

10.5" iPad Pro
    new iPad keyboard colors
    new iPhone case colors
    maybe some new apple watch bands?

What? That's about all I can think of!

Oh I know. There's that pesky Mac thing the grandpas can't let go of.

Fine, new MacBooks with a 0.2ghz speed bump.

6. LordVic macrumors 68040

I'm sorry if I misread (I probably shouldn't even be on the computer today, but only so long someone can sit in bed while sick)

what do you think is the reason?
    that the Mac Pro cylinder was such a disaster that they've purposely ignored it hoping we'd forget?

7. thekeyring, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017

thekeyring macrumors 68030

That's okay - I hope you feel better soon.

People are implying that in 2013 Apple was willing to redesign the whole computer (and manufacturing process along with it) but in 2017 they care so little they won't even upgrade the processors.

Mac Pro sales have not fallen that significantly in the last 4 years. If they had, the Mac Pro would have gone from a "niche" Mac to "discontinue - no one will notice". Clearly, plenty of people do still care.

I don't really know what the full story is, but I would imagine it's something to do with keeping the Mac Pro cool enough to run. That might be more difficult with Intel's newer processors than Apple anticipated in 2013.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2017 ---
    In the article you linked, Tim Cook says iPad will replace the "PC for many, many people". He seems careful not to say everyone.

I just rewatched the iPad ads and they all seem to advertise iPad. Not advertise it as a PC replacement.

Other than this one:

...which seems aimed at Windows PC users, as Apple's official party line is "Macs don't get viruses".

In fact, there's been a few stories which make me think Tim Cook's "Why would you need a PC anymore?" was referencing Windows PC users, not Mac users.

For instance “There’s a second group of people that we’d love to reach with this iPad Pro: Windows users,” Schiller said:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3046...ller-ipad-pro-as-ultimate-pc-replacement.html

I even wonder if either Tim of Phil said in an interview that they meant Windows PCs, but I can't for the life of me find an article so maybe I just dreamt that up.

If you're right, and they really think the iPad can replace a MacBook, it does make me wonder why on Earth they build a new MacBook and didn't just say "We've got iPad or MacBook Pro... that's all you need".

8. LordVic macrumors 68040

its an interesting theory. (i'm just having conversation now, not trying to say you're wrong or anythin, since unless we worked there we wouldn't know)

Mac Pro seems to me like the bastard child of the current execs. When they launched it they put some much credit to the design of it, claiming it to be the future of computing. But while the Mac Pro sales haven't changed a lot (those in OSx have little option if they want the best apple computer), the ignoring of the computer is just weird. not even a silent refresh. it's almost like, they know they cannot kill off the Mac Pro. that's too much business loss. the people who need that sort of hardware do spend really good money.

But at the same time, they cannot figure out a direction for it. it's not in their idea of what the future of tech is. so they can't kill it, but they can't really move forwards with it either because it's not really the device that they thought it would be.

its just really weird. it seems liek Apple execs just have no clue what a high end workstation computer needs. they want it to be "Apple" like where form trumps function, but they also don't want to get rid of the idea that Apple can still deliver function.

if they released the Mac Pro tube with an I7, upgradable GPU's (even proprietary ones), and deemed it a gaming computer, I think it would have flown off the shelves. but Tim Cook doesn't seem to understand the PC marketplace at all. He might be great at gauging phones and supply chains, but the Mac Pro, and now the Design over function MacBook Pro (which is still a good computer, just not the pro computer to replace the previous ones) just seem so out of touch from what everything else in the PC industry is doing.

what further makes me believe apple is clueless currently in the PC industry, is the Mac Mini's last iteration, cutting out performance, raising the price, for no reason at all (same chassis as the previous one!). Or the fact they refuse to go touchscreen on laptops and computers despite the PC industry adopting them at the fastest rate ever (and often for far less price than Apple's alternatives). it's also the fact they don't have a single VR capable computer (yes, it's a niche market, but would it be hard for apple to h ave ONE computer in their lineup capable?).

the only thing that makes sense to me with Tim COok's handling of the PC side of the gbusiness is he's clueless to the market. So he lets his designers build the computers THEY want. without actually looking at the market itself to see where it's going. Nobody was asking for a tiny tube professional workstation. is it cool? damn straight, but when it comes to people's livlihood, and people who needed compute power over form, the Mac Pro failed epicly on that front

9. Relentless Power macrumors 604

Relentless Power

I see your point and it makes sense. Ultimately, Tim Cook can't speak for everybody, that's why he likely said they could replace for many people. The CEO of $43 billion company has been very careful what he says, knowingly that every word is being listened and scrutinized. Ultimately, my opinion, is only the user can determine if the iPad/PC can be a replacement for their needs. Apple can develop whatever Theory they want or future prediction, but they can't force their decision on anybody based off their work needs or personal needs depending how they use each device.

10. iEMH macrumors newbie

iEMH

“Night in the city, and a brave band of heroes is ready to face fiendish villains to stop them from messing with your day!”

By night, Mac Pro becomes iPad 12.9. And
    iMac becomes iPad 10.5. And
    Mac mini becomes iPad 9.7

PJ masks lala PJ masks

11. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I'm extremely tempted to make a mock-up of iPad Pro screen with its pitiful 20 icons wrapped around trashcanMP and call it "Super. Pro. Computer. Pro."

12. malexandria macrumors 6502a

I never cheap out when I buy something for this reason. If I decide to make a purchase, I try and get the very best version possible - or at least a step down or a reburbed. That way I won't feel a need to change later. I've had my iPhone 6S and won't be getting the 7 at all. Since my phone has been fully paid for since the 4S (a few drops and free upgrades later and I have a 6S :))

13. thekeyring macrumors 68030

Agreed. For me, it's a simple decision. iPad can't cover everything I do on a Mac. It nearly can, but I can't animate on it.

Then again, I wouldn't animate on a retina MacBook or an 11" Air, either, so that might be more than just lack of apps / software limitations. I'm probably nowhere near who they're targeting with iPad.

14. mattysouthall macrumors member

15. FriendlyMackle macrumors regular

FriendlyMackle

Yes, my next ipad will probably be a 128GB, maybe 256GB. Either one is really enough for me for how I use my iPad; but 32GB is just too small. When I upgrade my phone, I'll move from 128 to 256 -- I'm also still on the 6S+. The 7 just was not a compelling upgrade for me, and my 6S+ works beautifully. I'm hoping that the iPad refresh is SOON. I would like to see what is released and then consider whether the now current generation 'Pro' will suffice.

16. fyngyrz macrumors newbie

fyngyrz

I think one possibility why the Mac Pro hasn't been updated is because they made such significant errors with it:
    • Storage expansion requires insecure desk warts and lumps
    • Unable to upgrade graphics
    • Form factor prevents efficient racking and packing
    I think they may have had to consider going back to a proper tower design because the trashcan is such a poor design.

For my part, last time around, I simply went to eBay and bought a used instance of the most recent sensible design - the latest tower prior to the trashcan - with 12/24 cores, 64 GB RAM, 3 GHz-ish. While it may not be the "latest thing", it's not exactly slow, and it relieved me of having to put that trashcan on my desk and suffer with the various expansion woes that come along with it. It's now stuffed full of drives and video cards, and it's going to hold me over for at least a few more years (unless of course Apple wakes up and does the right thing with a new tower design, but I don't see that happening, frankly... Apple? Admitting such a gross error?)

I can't just walk away from the OS; I've been building software for it for many years now, and I was foolish enough to use XCode to do it for quite a while. Now I develop with Qt, which means everything I've done is effectively OS agnostic, and when the last XCode-built app goes obsolete... bye bye macOS / OS X. I don't want to do this, you understand; but I do need performance that is at least more-or-less on par with what's available in the market, and as Apple's high performance machines fade into the past, I'm simply not going to be left with any choice in the matter.

17. TotalAdventure macrumors newbie

TotalAdventure

Really hoping my nearly full and slowing late 2013 !6GB/1TB MBP lasts until Apple comes out with something at least 32GB ( 64 would be great ) and more than 2TB Please ? And not be over $4K ? I could care less about the toolbar, just get us Power to Produce !
    --- Post Merged, Mar 20, 2017 ---
    In days of old - I would update every 18 to 24 months to a machine with 1.5 times the speed, 4 times the memory and 5 times the storage.