Apple Expected to Announce New Products as Soon as Next Week, Supply Chain Sources Say

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 13, 2017.

1. HJM.NL macrumors 6502a

HJM.NL

You can order by internet. If Xiaomi and many other Chinese brands will deliver in the USA, eventually they will. Apple has to rethink their strategies. Because they aren't the cheap knockoffs anymore and do deliver bang for the buck. See how Apple fares in china to believe.

2. pbasmadj, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017

pbasmadj macrumors 6502

It might have been inevitable, it might be due to Jobs passing, but whatever it is, it is true. There are some things they just don't seem to get lately. There are a lot, but the few very obvious ones that I don't think Jobs would have been ok with quite certainly:

- Removing headphone jack on phone. Steve was a a major audiophile and definitely feel like this would have been shot down quickly.
    - Touchbar. I don't think Jobs would have been crazy about it. Or at least we would have the option to have with or without it. Still find it odd that there is a 13" with or without, and with the 15" you are forced to have it. They should offer a 15" without Touchbar.
    - MacBook. A single USB C port is a bit odd. You can't charge the computer and plug in an accessory. Jobs would have demanded at least two USB C ports. This is the same **** thing they did on the phone, removing the headphone jack, it is just one step too far toward minimalism. I am definitely a minimalist, but it is just to the point of actually not making sense.
    - Finally, I understand that the move to USB C starts to make Magsafe not make sense due to the I/O capability, but they should at least offer an OE apple magsafe adapter for USB C, for those that want to keep it and use it as a charge port only. The line just feels fragmented now. I guess we will see how it goes.

3. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

Glad I didn't wait for an iMac refresh before buying one last May. Looks like iMacs are going to be on a 2-year release cycle.

IMG_0203.PNG

4. doctor-don macrumors 65816

5. NY Guitarist, Mar 13, 2017

NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

As our tech at work unpacked new PC workstations the other day I joked about Apple releasing an iPad 'Pro' with an emoji-only accessory keyboard. Bittersweet chuckles went around the room.

I don't expect much on the 'high end' from Apple anymore, so I probably won't be disappointed.

6. UltimaKilo macrumors regular

iPad sales need a shot in the arm. I really hope that Apple has something big up it's sleeve to get all those iPad3, iPad4 and iPad Air customers to upgrade.

7. HJM.NL macrumors 6502a

HJM.NL

If Apple goes to a 2 year cycle release, it will always trail the competition.
    At first I thought Cook would be a good CEO for Apple. Fast forward today, I admit it was my mistake. Although he does good things, the soul of Apple has gone.

Apple was a synonym for delivering the best experience an user could get in using modern computers. It was an innovative company by using the latest tech available together with the best operating system one could have.

Today it's a me too company driven by profits. Selling outdated hardware for prices as if it was new. Form over function, profits over good experience.

It's a shame how things go and if this will ever change, it will take a long time and good efforts on Apple's part to repair the trust to its loyal users to ever invest in their products ever again. No pipeline, words are going to change that.

It's even a bigger shame knowing that they've an obscene amount of money on the bank and could have easily pleased their customers by putting minimal efforts in their existing lines. Instead they focus on profits and that's making it a shame and should waken even the biggest Apple fan I once was.

8. pmau macrumors 65816

My guess is that the new 10.5" iPad is the test for a new screen technology without the Touch-ID home button.
    It is safer for Apple to test in on the iPad with lower sales, than to roll out milions of iPhone "Pro" 8 with problems.
    I would assume the iPad 10 will be expensive and features a higher DPI and the same specs as the 12.9" model

9. Relentless Power, Mar 13, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors G3

Relentless Power

You might be able to order by the internet, but the problem still lies with what carrier will even support Xiaomi in the U.S. Unless I stand corrected, they can't ship their phones to the U.S. And their devices are not supported by U.S. Carriers.

10. HJM.NL macrumors 6502a

HJM.NL

For the things an iPad does there are lots of cheaper alternatives (tablets and chromebooks). If Apple wants to turn this downward ing trend. It has two options:

A. Make the iPad more competitive priced.
    B. Make the iPad better compared to their competitors. Outstanding hardware and software better than competitors with the pencil included.

As A and B aren't going to happen and the updates are incremental again, expect further decline.

Whoever at Apple said that iPads are the future of computing again? :rolleyes:

11. Urban Joe macrumors 6502

Savor the rumors like a child dreaming of Christmas morning.
    The joys of anticipation might be more savory than the lump of coal under the tree. For now enjoy la la land and may all your Apple dreams come true

12. HJM.NL macrumors 6502a

HJM.NL

That's good news for Apple. Here in the Netherlands Huawei and other Chinese brands are flooding the market. Huawei has risen to number one in a matter of 2 years and better selling as Samsung. If you think they're cheap build, think again. If Apple won't deliver a breathtaking iPhone 8, I'll hold my breath for Apple's future over here. I hope I'm wrong, but I see the same writings on the wall as in the early '90's with the exception the money they're sitting on.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2017 ---
    It should be oled if what you're thinking is true. More expensive isn't an assumption I guess although it would be amazing, magical, thrilling if I'm wrong on that :D
    --- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2017 ---
    And here another example of a customer alienated by Apple. It makes me feel angry and sad. Don't get me wrong... I totally understand you. Too bad Cook isn't able to tackle the problems... The company Apple was so much more, and with all the money on the bank it could have be doing so much more :mad:

13. Relentless Power macrumors G3

Relentless Power

For the record, you were talking about Xiaomi, not Huwaei. And I never stated "If you think they're cheap build, think again." You stated that, I never commented on the build quality. It's obvious you have dislikes for Apple, so be it. But that doesn't make a difference between the two phones, because they are available in different countries. You can speculate as much as you like, but until or if Xiaomi makes it in the U.S., then it really doesn't make a difference in terms of what's supported, because Xiaomi doesn't exist here. I'm speaking for the U.S., not for any other Country.

14. HJM.NL macrumors 6502a

HJM.NL

You're right you haven't mentioned cheap builds. I told it because most I've defended that so many times in the past because lots assume they are. I understand you think I dislike Apple and their products and as of now that is half the truth. I always admired Apple products and I'm a long time Apple user myself. Until 2 years ago when I saw price increases, lag in hardware refreshes, software mess and fashionable things happening at Apple. I don't like the route (is there a clear route?) they're going and it's hard to escape because I've invested heavily in Apple hardware. Don't take it personally, I'm just a frustrated soon to be ex fan.

15. Relentless Power macrumors G3

Relentless Power

I can understand that Apple is taking a different path than what they were under jobs era. And some of the more loyal fans are disappointed in the recent hardware updates with iMac and MacBook Pro. There have definitely been some differences over the years, and they have lost some other loyalist, so I can understand where you're coming from. I see both sides of the discussion. And I can appreciate that.

16. HJM.NL macrumors 6502a

HJM.NL

It's always good to see two sides of the story and if someone doesn't to remind them. As I've relied heavily on Apple products in the past to get my work done, I hope you'll understand my disappointment in Apple not satisfying my needs. They should have been more transparent to their customers and give them the opportunity for an exit path. Instead they keep promising and the pipelines... that's what's making me angry and sad. Yes, I can jump ship and 2017 will be the year. But I would rather see them building a path to the future again. Can't see it though :(

17. dampfnudel macrumors 68020

I have a neighbor who just got an iMac, his first Mac. He couldn't wait anymore. I told him about thunderbolt, USB-C, but he said he couldn't wait. That's what happens when Tim and company leave a lot of people hanging for so long.

Anyway, it looks like if the iPad mini 4 gets a replacement, it will be a minor update. Maybe something bigger is coming next year...or maybe it will just be discontinued.

18. NY Guitarist, Mar 13, 2017

NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

At work we had a number of budget meetings that focused on our technology purchases and it was decided we couldn't stay with Apple because it was clear Apple wasn't innovating in the high-end computer market and were functionally abandoning loyal 'pro' customers. The result is Apple is also losing our business for office desktops, laptops, and smartphones. Probably close to 90k over the course of 2017.

The only upside for me is I grabbed a couple of cMPs to take home. :)

19. dampfnudel macrumors 68020

Beginning to look that way.

20. HJM.NL macrumors 6502a

HJM.NL

I really hope Tim Cook is knowing what he's doing. Such a waste. Good for you to have the nMP though. It would still be better if you were a happy customer and get the nMP for other reasons free ;)

21. dampfnudel macrumors 68020

Well said. It wouldn't take too much effort to make things better, but it looks like the addiction to profits will continue to blind Tim and company from what would be best for Apple's long-term interests/health. Paying premium prices for outdated hardware with occasional dubious quality is something that will erode over time the relationship between Apple and its customers.

22. FutureExMacUser macrumors newbie

How about a mac pro that doesn't have graphics card issues!

23. dampfnudel macrumors 68020

More like someone at Apple is smoking something in their 'pipeline'. By the way, I like your username, the N64 was one of my favorite consoles.

24. LotusLord macrumors 6502

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    I suspect a bigger than expected update, if only because I have 300+ 9.7 inch Pros on the way as replacements for leased Air 2s. I don't anticipate us changing platforms anytime soon.

25. JHankwitz macrumors 68000