Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hi Tek

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
Canada, Hali
  • I use 3D Force touch on PUBG Mobile, so I don't have to move my thumb to the "shoot" button.
  • I peek CARROT weather app with 3D Touch
  • Messages app (recents shortcut)
  • I use flashlight every day
  • shortcuts for the Camera app are nice to have. Instead of opening the app and then selecting your preferred capture view
  • read messages without notifying the recipient you 'read' the text

I don't feel pressed to upgrade. But now with this, I'll be holding my Xs Max for a lot longer...

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I meant replacement of Touch ID with inferior Face ID.

You meant superior Face ID.
I’d say replacing decent Touch ID with potentially good but controversial Face ID. 50% of success rate (extreme cases, which I encounter quite a few times already) for me won’t help inspiring me to embrace Face ID, yet when Face ID works, it works nearly seamlessly. Touch ID (2nd gen) never has such ridiculous failing rate as long as I keep my finger dry and intact.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If you are getting 50% failure rates you need to rescan your face. I get 0% failure rates.
50% is for extreme cases. Usually it is around 10%. Not crazy but not ideal either, especially when I unlock it while laying in bed sideways. I have tried to re-scan the face but the outcome is pretty consistent. I now can only hope overtime the recognition rate can go higher.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
50% is for extreme cases. Usually it is around 10%. Not crazy but not ideal either, especially when I unlock it while laying in bed sideways. I have tried to re-scan the face but the outcome is pretty consistent. I now can only hope overtime the recognition rate can go higher.

My iPhone XS and iPad Pro both scan my face every time, even when my face is partially obscured by my blankets when i lean over sideways in bed. Works at least as well as Touch ID for me, plus i don’t have to worry about when I’m wearing gloves or my finger is wet.

Reactions: ErikGrim

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

I've found if you don't have sharp facial features, you're likely to have more failures than the latter. The commonality in my circle is that people who have FaceID working more consistently is due to sharper facial features, whereas those that have less defined features experience less success. For me, I've noticed that I have to have my eyes open bigger and have to have the screen perpendicular to my face. If I don't do it at the time it scans my face, then I usually enter my PIN. It probably happens about 25% of the time.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
My iPhone XS and iPad Pro both scan my face every time, even when my face is partially obscured by my blankets when i lean over sideways in bed. Works at least as well as Touch ID for me, plus i don’t have to worry about when I’m wearing gloves or my finger is wet.
That’s very good for you. I guess I just need to accept the flawed Face ID and live on. Cannot complain much anymore, though every failed unlock would remind me Face ID is not a good option for me.

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
I’d say replacing decent Touch ID with potentially good but controversial Face ID. 50% of success rate (extreme cases, which I encounter quite a few times already) for me won’t help inspiring me to embrace Face ID, yet when Face ID works, it works nearly seamlessly. Touch ID (2nd gen) never has such ridiculous failing rate as long as I keep my finger dry and intact.

If you are getting 50% failure rate on Face ID you should take your phone to apple for servicing at once. Mine works reliably every time. Let me in and no one else. Though I do wish I could add another face.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If you are getting 50% failure rate on Face ID you should take your phone to apple for servicing at once. Mine works reliably every time. Let me in and no one else. Though I do wish I could add another face.
This extreme case (50% fail rate) is achieved through my iPad running iOS 13 beta 3, so I factor beta thing into consideration and don’t just want to bring device for service. As well overtime iOS tend to learn your face better. iPhone is a lot better, at roughly 10% or 20%.
If after iOS 13 beta the Fail rate is still that high, I think an Apple Store visit is a must.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.