Apple Expected to Report Second-Best June Quarter Ever Today as Investors Look Ahead to iPhone 8

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 1, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple is set to report its earnings results for the third quarter of its 2017 fiscal year at 1:30 p.m. Pacific Time today.

Apple provided the following guidance for its third quarter on May 2:
    o revenue between $43.5 billion and $45.5 billion
    o gross margin between 37.5 percent and 38.5 percent
    o operating expenses between $6.6 billion and $6.7 billion
    o other income/expense of $450 million
    o tax rate of 25.5 percentThat guidance suggests Apple will report its second-best third quarter earnings results in the company's history. The quarter corresponds with April 1, 2017 through July 1, 2017.

Apple's Fiscal Third Quarter
    o 2013: $35.3 billion
    o 2014: $37.4 billion
    o 2015: $49.6 billion
    o 2016: $42.3 billion
    o 2017: $43.5+ billionWall Street's consensus is that Apple will report approximately $44.9 billion revenue and earnings per share of $1.57, according to dozens of estimates averaged by Thomson Reuters and Yahoo Finance.

Apple is forecasted to have sold 40.7 million iPhones, 9 million iPads, and 4.3 million Macs, according to average estimates shared by Wells Fargo, compared to 40.4 million, 9.95 million, and 4.25 million respectively in the year-ago quarter.

[​IMG]

MacRumors.com compiled third quarter estimates from several financial institutions and analysts tracking Apple and the company's stock. The figures are listed below, ranked from highest to lowest in quarterly revenue.

[​IMG]

All signs point to Apple reporting an above-average and generally unsurprising June quarter. The most interesting takeaway will be Apple's fourth quarter guidance and any clues that provides about the so-called iPhone 8.

In addition to iPhone sales, investors will be looking for continued growth of Apple's services category, which includes the likes of the App Store, iTunes Store, Apple Music, Apple Pay, AppleCare, and licensing fees.

Apple CEO Tim Cook and CFO Luca Maestri will discuss the company's financial results on a conference call at 2:00 p.m. Pacific Time. MacRumors.com will transcribe the call as it unfolds for those unable to listen.

Article Link: Apple Expected to Report Second-Best June Quarter Ever Today as Investors Look Ahead to iPhone 8

2. Remy149 macrumors 6502

That’s impossible everyone in the comment sections of tech sites keep saying Apple is in danger and no one wants their devices

3. ChazSch macrumors 6502

ChazSch

4. DocMultimedia macrumors 6502a

DocMultimedia

And the big question...should I buy some AAPL today? I think I will.

5. ChazSch macrumors 6502

ChazSch

funny...almost everyone I know has an iphone and our entire office is Apple based, including iPads for collecting data remotely

6. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

It will be really interesting to see the next quarter as the Macbook pros and Ipads were all updated at the end of this one. I'm very curious to see if Apple is winning people over with the new Macbook Pros.

7. marclondon macrumors 6502

I'm predicting £9,000 for my past quarter. However, my wife was predicting more so I'll have to get some more from under the mattress.

8. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Apple makes most profit on iPhones compared to their other products. thats a lot of the business depending on a single product.
    Given all new redesign and bezel less OLED display this year, iPhone 8 Gonna break all previous record sales.

9. UltimaKilo macrumors 6502

Hopefully they announce an increase in dividends to .66 and a payout date.

10. Ries macrumors 68020

Apple is not like Samsung. Samsung makes everything from warships to washing machines. If Apple ever failed in making a selling iPhone, their stock would sink like a ship hit by a torpedo. Apple is iPhone.

11. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

But MacRumors readers were positive that Apple was dying with the lackluster release of the new MBP, the lack of a new Mac Pro, the failure to update the Air, and the boring release of the iPhone 7 with many waiting for the 8. :rolleyes:

And again my stock continues to climb.

12. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

We are proud of you and all the people that own apple stock. We will continue to support you in every purchase we can!

13. cardfan macrumors 68000

Perhaps. I don't care about a redesign. I just wanted OLED but it appears we're getting it with conditions such as no touch ID. Guess we just have to wait and see what compromise Apple has in store for us.

14. Carnegie macrumors 6502a

Apple likely won't increase its dividend until May of next year. I'd expect 3 more quarterly dividends of $0.63.

15. Shanpdx macrumors 68020

Hope there is a slow down on iPhone sales, so they will give more attention to Mac!

16. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

All I want to hear is that beautiful phrase: Dividend increase!

17. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

I think you mean the opposite. Slow down in iPhone sales would mean they would try to focus harder on making the iPhone better.

You should already be in it

18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

1. Of course iPhone sales are going to decrease ahead of a hotly anticipated "all new" iPhone.

2. iPhone sales effectively subsidize Mac development at this point so be careful what you wish for. If the iPhone were to truly falter so would Apple. First thing that would be cut back would be Mac R&D.

3. Computers as we knew them, as people had them in the house, are never going to be what they were in the 90s and early 00's. It's a different time. Home computers are still important but they are past peak.

19. BruceEBonus, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017

BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

Pride always comes before a fall .... or ... the Fall?

Just wait 6 weeks .... all will be revealed.

2017. The year Apple put up. Or shut up.

Distraction or Action?

Talk. Or ...er ...Walk, is it? Er ... yeah. Anyway. Look at this clip to see how powerful the art of diverting from the main issue can has .... "But Tim! That's very nice figures but where are the 2018 products to ...ahhh..nice puppies ... hang on a minute ... he's left the stage!" :)

20. JungeQuex macrumors regular

Only the second best? It's over, Apple is finished! If the iPhone 8 doesn't include built in teleportation then I am DONE with Apple! Beam me up, Scotty.

21. iReality85 macrumors 6502a

It's remarkable how iPad sales have practically vanished when compared to 2011-2014, despite iPads being better and more capable than ever.

22. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

And how will they celebrate?? Leave new device price points the same or increase them? Going to be an interesting announcement keynote for iPhone 8.

23. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

Take away the iPhone and your stock TANKS! Apple IS currently a ONE HIT WONDER. Every other category is small, and flat or decreasing. So, you are correct...lackluster new MBP, lack of Mac Pro, etc., keeps those categories either flat or sinking.

24. 78Bandit macrumors 6502a

78Bandit

That chart looks pretty flat since the start of FY 15. The only thing sustaining the limited revenue growth during that time is the increase in average selling price of the iPhone as more people get either the plus model or opt for larger storage. However, Apple will eventually run up against a ceiling where people won't keep piling on the options and will face increased competition from other vendors.

Apple's outstanding growth has been in the perfection of markets for broad consumer adoption. It started in 2001 with the iPod, really hits its stride with the iPhone in 2007 which managed seven years of continuous market growth until the iPhone 6 in 2014, and was helped by the iPad in 2010 which had a few years of exponential growth before plateauing.

Apple's problem now is the unit sales of their main products have been stagnant for three years and they don't have a revolutionary product on the horizon. This year's iPhone needs to have 20% or better unit sales growth to keep Apple as a leading tech company. If sales remain flat they will certainly continue to be successful but will face a transition to a commodity provider as opposed to the market leader they have been over the last 16 years.

25. dogolaca macrumors newbie

[​IMG]
    This is the type of data set that "rolling average" was invented to deal with.