Apple Expected to Report Second-Best June Quarter Ever Today as Investors Look Ahead to iPhone 8

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Samsung's S8 sales were less than the S7. Might be telling for Apple since they basically will be presenting their version of the same product. Bezelless design, facial recognition/iris scanning camera, etc.

The only difference is apple has released an iPhone 6s and 6ss the last couple years, so, as analysts have said, there is "pent up demand" for this year's redesign.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A consensus EPS of $1.57 means that anything less than about $1.70 reported will be rated as a disappointment by the markets.

3. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I bet Tim uses the word "Pipeline" in a sentence today.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No doubt. We should start a pool on the number of times he uses the words fantastic, amazing, and incredible.

5. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

6. StevieD100, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017

StevieD100 macrumors 6502a

StevieD100

They might mean a bit more than the word "tremendous" which seems to be over used these days.

7. Bacillus, Aug 1, 2017

Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

iPhone dependance runs into crazy proportions. That's so risky.
    Whereas the man who said the PostPC-era had started - and assumed iPad would take over - appeared not to understand (how to drive) the market.

8. IJ Reilly, Aug 1, 2017

IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The most overused graphic on MR.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 1, 2017 ---
    Another overworked word, but fantastic and incredible are not only overworked adjectives, their formal meanings are quite different than what they are commonly used to describe.

9. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

What about this one..
    [​IMG]

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

By MR, I should have said.

11. John80 Suspended

I think there wont be iPhone 7S/Plus. I wrote it once, I write it again:

iPhone 7S may be worst iphone introduction ever. I thought that there is no reason to upgrade 6S to 7,because of small number of advantages. I see only rumors about iPhone 8/X/Pro etc, but almost no information about 7S... Propably better camera, but as every year it will not be big improvement to last year model. Inductive charging, ok but it's not a killer feature and I will have to buy charger seperatly. I think there will be absolutely no reason to upgrade 7 to 7S...

Is there any evidence that there is 7S?

12. Shanpdx macrumors 68020

agreed, but the specs (mainly the storage and RAM capacities) are pointing different direction. Kudos to Intel, they kept the CPU/GPU prices relatively low (iPad/Smartphones might be the reason for it).

Apple have been steadily increasing the 13" MBP prices. You need at least $1800 to get a decent laptop.

13. DocMultimedia macrumors 6502a

DocMultimedia

Yeah, I started buying when it was around $8 (split adjusted). Let's just say I'm a happy investor over the years. The yearly 10% increase in dividend is an added bonus (but would really be nice to crank it up a bit faster).

14. Shanpdx macrumors 68020

I do not think iPhone sales and profits brought anything to Mac. Profits always included in that price. If not anything super awesome SSDs are costing more nowadays. When the Mac specs are middle at the best, why only concentrate on SSD speed and ask more money - $400/$800 (512GB/1TB) upgrades are not really make sense. If not anything Apple learned from iPhone, storage capacity is the up seller. well, anyway.

15. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Please quote the source.

16. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

There will be an iPhone 7s and 7s Plus, Apple will not just release the iPhone 8 not when it's going to cost around $1,200 they know not everyone will be able to or want to pay that for an iPhone, enter the iPhone 7s and 7s Plus. As for evidence, nearly all the reliable people such as Ming-Chi Kuo have said that there will be a 7s and 7s Plus.

17. StevieD100 macrumors 6502a

StevieD100

How about going to www.theregister.co.uk
    Anyone daring to say that they like or even worse use Apple products gets downvoted. Apple is regarded as the devil incarnate.

18. Cosmosent macrumors 6502a

Guidance is the only thing that matters ... Apple either Sinks of Swims depending-upon how Cook presents their "Touch ID under Glass" efforts ... a technical challenge most people are NOT taking seriously enough !

19. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

They lost me... I bought my first non-Mac in years and love the thing.

Exactly... they are really just a smartphone company with a few complimentary products. Everything else is flat or sinking. And within the iPhone dependency is their messaging which keeps a lot of people trapped in the ecosystem.

I hope that was a joke, because its the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Apple is a smartphone company now. That is where their attention will be.

Agreed.

20. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

Steve Jobs would have never allowed th... oh wait.

Keep up the good work Tim!

21. mdelvecchio macrumors 68040

mdelvecchio

Other one-hit wonders:

Google -- take away advertising

Coke -- take away coke

Facebook -- take away FB

...etc. Pure nonsense, in other words.

Additionally, you're flat out wrong -- Apple's iPad revenue are larger than most other entire companies. Their services likewise. Etc..

But beyond this ignorance, it doesn't matter here in the land of reality because you can't take away the iPhone, it exists.

22. citysnaps macrumors 601

For myself and many others: Guess we just have to wait and see what improvements Apple has in store for us.

Wearing gloves a good deal of the time, not having to take them off to unlock my phone will be huge.

23. BuddyTronic macrumors 6502a

I agree with you.

The short term stock price will relate to the future guidance given today.

All the enormous profits etc - everyone "expects" that now and even discounts how gigantic they are and where the stock should really be at when compared to others.

Apple guidance - It's always accurate and usually a bit conservative.

Here is the thing though - "guidance" could very likely affect the AAPL stock price more than it should - either way.

If there is a "delay" of iPhone 8 it won't matter that much in terms of sales really - we have all been used to having huge sell outs for the last 2 years, and then waiting a month or more to get the new iPhone even though you ordered in the first 5 minutes!. So these delay rumours are hopefully going to be taken with a grain of salt.

But we shall see.

For this one I am bullish, but still a bit nervous. I have been wrong a few times now and got screwed royally on some options, and made out like a bandit on others.

I'm still thinking right now might be a good time to pick up Jan 19th 2018 160 0r 165 calls for $4.70 or $3.40

20 minutes to decide!

24. WBRacing macrumors 65816

This x100.

Sure they make enough from the Appstore alone that almost any bluechip company would be ecstatic to match but the iPhone accounts for such a high percentage of their profits that they really do have their golden egg in one basket.

Should they have a Note 7 type of issue (which with technology and 3rd party suppliers is always a possibility - no matter how remote) the share price would likely never recover from the inevitable tanking.

25. citysnaps macrumors 601

Excellent and spot-on analysis.