Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deanthedev

Suspended
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver
Apple goes where the market goes. It’s clearly obvious consumers want larger screens.

Not saying it’s better or worse. Same reason the plus is so successful. Same goes for the note and Galaxy.

Yet Apple bothered to introduce the SE. So clearly some of that market still prefers smaller phones.

And with the ridiculous quantities Apple sells, even a smaller part of the market (SE) still represents millions of sales and billions in revenue.

GoodWheaties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
It brings me much joy that despite not being mentioned at all in the article and only being shown incidentally in the accompanying obligatory image, the iPhone SE still enjoys most of the chatter in this thread.

Apple, please listen.
What’s interesting to me is with iOS and Android drawing closer together each year it feels like, the only phone that is/was (at least at launch) truly unique is now the SE. A fully one-handed device that did not compromise on power. Tons of Android phones are the size of the Plus or bigger. The X has copycats all over the place. The SE’s closest competitor is the Sony Compact line which is usually not running top end processors and, to me, kind of expensive.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I just hope for less leakage.
Last September’s keynote content were all known already thanks to the firmware leak. Literally nothing was a surprise at all. Despite the X announcement, everything felt flat because we all already know all the products. Hope Apple can do a bit better so we can be amazed again.

GoodWheaties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Lots of baby hands on this forum, apparently. lol.
For me it has nothing to do with hand size. It has everything with how I hold the phone. I like to hold the phone with my pinky at the bottom, palm against the side, the rest of my fingers gripping the opposite side. If I use this same grip with an 4.7” iPhone, (never mind the Plus) I am limited to about 3/4 of the display. If you watch large screen phone users, they often are simply balancing the phone on their fingers during one-handed use. That is not an acceptable grip to me for a device that will surely break if dropped. I use my phone one-handed a lot. It is very important to me.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Lots of baby hands on this forum, apparently. lol.

Nothing to do with hand size and everything to do with portability.

I don't watch movies or TV shows on my phone, so I have no real need for a giant screen. My iPhone needs to make phone calls, send text messages, take pictures, and other minor tasks (banking, podcasts, etc.)

None of these things require a giant-ass screen, so I'll gladly offer the smallest phone Apple will offer me. Otherwise why I carry around this hulking phone if I don't need to?

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
I don’t understand another SE or the desire? Maybe just for size? Cause I should would rather buy a discounted iPhone X or 8 plus next year if I wanted to save some money.

Yes, 100%! I switched from a 7+ to the SE and I´m happy: great size, love the fit in every pocket and the one hand use. And of course the price! don´t mind if it drops, get wet, crashes... no more problems and stress for that.

I don't expect the design of the mockup above... just the same actual design with a push in hardware and camera will be fine for me.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I’ve been on my old 5 for a few days when my 7+ was in for repair. I have to say that’s the perfect size for my hands. The screen size is a bit of a pain in the long run though

Grayfox691

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
I don’t understand another SE or the desire? Maybe just for size? Cause I should would rather buy a discounted iPhone X or 8 plus next year if I wanted to save some money.

The iPhone SE isn't about just saving money. It's about having a smaller phone. I for one fall into that second category. If that SE2 mockup was ever to come out even if it was expensive Id be first in line.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Here’s a perfect example of fake news being spread around, “Apple wants to avoid last year’s supply bottleneck.” All the tech blogs are printing this as established fact. What bottleneck? All we had were analyst’s opinions based on their “supply chain” sources, hardly verified facts. Apple never released a statement saying this was the case. No hard facts but here we are as if it is unquestionable.

Re-read the bolded in your post. Why would Apple release a statement? (Rhetorical) They wouldn’t. Even this article or any other article with an analyst prediction or claim was accurate or not , Apple is not required or has verify that, nor do they have too. Not unless it was something that they absolutely needed to address. That’s how discreet this company is. And they certainly don’t owe an explanation to a DigiTimes article, which has a complete sketch track record. And I also doubt Apple Pay’s attention to every analyst prediction or claim based off a rumored website.

Reactions: Will.O.Bie

Will.O.Bie

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
I'm all for that 6.5" OLED X Plus and cannot wait to pawn my firstborn for it but I'm happy for the SE 2 community as well, that phone looks sleek. Hopefully, they design the SE 2 somewhat similar to the current and future X design, notch included (sorry TouchID loyalists).

Reactions: 44267547

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
SE looks great however expect to have lcd screen and not the newest tech

Myself and many others like that. I hate(d) the screen on my X (i prefer LCD). I like FaceID, but don't need all the other tech. So the low end phone, as it's rumored, is a perfect fit for myself, and many others.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
iphones-2018-800x448.jpg

Bring this iPhone SE2 exactly like it is pictured here! Price is not a object! More premium, the better!

Reactions: jeffreyg

Mark5769

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008

On the SE2... I know quite a few people that prefer the smaller size, especially women. But the SE1 was fairly easy for Apple to do since all of the changes were in the logic board from a stock 5s. I'm not sure how they do a X-style redesign and still keep it a budget device.

I've heard rumors (I think on this site) that they will cease production of the 1st gen iPhone X instead of offering it at a lower cost so it doesn't cannibalize the sales of the X2.

I for one hope they do discount the X because I'd go for that. I'm not eligible yet anyway. I like owning my old devices to pass down to my kids instead of handing back to AT&T to resell.

MrBat

macrumors regular
May 11, 2017
I'm all for that 6.5" OLED X Plus and cannot wait to pawn my firstborn for it but I'm happy for the SE 2 community as well, that phone looks sleek. Hopefully, they design the SE 2 somewhat similar to the current and future X design, notch included (sorry TouchID loyalists).

Woah, Stop. Right. There. Keep that notch for the X lovers.

I want my SE 2 to have Touch ID or have the sensor behind the screen. No notch, no FaceID.
Also, keep that 3.5mm jack and no protruding camera.
Bump the internals, more ram, put back the 64GB option and boom, done.

Reactions: Val-kyrie

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
On the SE2... I know quite a few people that prefer the smaller size, especially women. But the SE1 was fairly easy for Apple to do since all of the changes were in the logic board from a stock 5s. I'm not sure how they do a X-style redesign and still keep it a budget device.

I've heard rumors (I think on this site) that they will cease production of the 1st gen iPhone X instead of offering it at a lower cost so it doesn't cannibalize the sales of the X2.

I for one hope they do discount the X because I'd go for that. I'm not eligible yet anyway. I like owning my old devices to pass down to my kids instead of handing back to AT&T to resell.

I recall a time when Apple didn’t discount hardware. They just recalled the old stuff when the new hardware was available and made the new stuff available. Pretty sure Mac Rumors ran stories of people buying laptops before an announcement receiving new or speed bump models instead.

Or maybe I’m crazy, but it probably came from jobs need for consumer selection simplicity.
[doublepost=1521740418][/doublepost]
Woah, Stop. Right. There. Keep that notch for the X lovers.

Agreed! I’d love an SE with a “notch” style display.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
For me it has nothing to do with hand size. It has everything with how I hold the phone. I like to hold the phone with my pinky at the bottom, palm against the side, the rest of my fingers gripping the opposite side. If I use this same grip with an 4.7” iPhone, (never mind the Plus) I am limited to about 3/4 of the display. If you watch large screen phone users, they often are simply balancing the phone on their fingers during one-handed use. That is not an acceptable grip to me for a device that will surely break if dropped. I use my phone one-handed a lot. It is very important to me.

I'm the same way. When holding my phone, it sits on my pinky, with my ring and middle fingers mostly stabilizing it in the back. My biggest regret going from the 5S to the 7 Plus that I now have is the size. I just didn't realize how much bigger it would be. That and the rounded aluminum is very slippery, and I don't like using cases.

The one thing I don't like is the stainless steel. I never liked it on iPod, and I still don't like it now on iPhone X. I hope we don't see stainless steel on the SE2. I'd rather Apple go with ceramic if it doesn't add too much cost. Or even keep aluminum.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
iphones-2018-800x448.jpg

Bring this iPhone SE2 exactly like it is pictured here! Price is not a object! More premium, the better!

Technically, The price point for an iPhone SE with Face ID and an OLED is an object. The whole point of the iPhone SE is to have an entry-level iPhone with the affordable price tag. One of the other reasons Apple introduced the SE, was to have it as a global phone, because some countries have extreme inflated prices for the more expensive iPhone models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.