Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to update its entire iPad lineup throughout 2024, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. This means new models of the iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad mini, and entry-level iPad can be expected to launch next year.

M3-iPad-Feature-3.jpg

Gurman touched on the lack of new iPads and AirPods heading into the holiday shopping season in the latest edition of his Power On newsletter:
Apple could have tried to rush out more new products, but revamped iPads and AirPods aren’t yet ready. The company plans to update its entire iPad lineup during 2024. New low-end AirPods are coming next year as well, with a refreshed Pro model following in 2025.
2023 is expected to be the first year without any new iPads released since Apple first unveiled the device in 2010, so updates to all models next year sounds likely.

When each iPad model was last updated:
  • iPad Pro: October 2022
  • iPad: October 2022
  • iPad Air: March 2022
  • iPad mini: September 2021
Gurman previously reported that the low-end to mid-range iPads could be updated as early as March 2024, while he expects new 11-inch and 13-inch iPad Pro models with the M3 chip and OLED displays to launch in the first half of 2024. The next iPad Air and iPad mini are likely to be equipped with M2 and A16 Bionic chips, respectively.

Article Link: Apple Expected to Update Entire iPad Lineup Next Year

Last edited:

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Given the lapse in iPad Air updates this year & much like the iMac... the iPad Air should jump from M1 to M3. If indeed iPad Pros go up in price because of OLED displays, the iPad Air coming in 2 sizes makes perfect sense to bridge the gap. The lineup will be setup just like the iPhone with iPhone 15/iPhone 15 Plus & iPhone 15 Pro/iPhone 15 Pro Max.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
2023 is expected to be the first year without any new iPads released since Apple first unveiled the device in 2010, so updates to all models next year sounds likely.

This is a bit exaggerated. Apple actually hasn’t updated ipads yearly since 2014. While they do update at least one category of ipads every year, be it the pros, the air or the budget ipad, all ipad categories are actually updated roughly every 1.5 years, not yearly. Yet after all this time lots of people -including forecasters like gurman or kuo- still don’t seem to get this and expect yearly ipad updates.

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
Best decision ever, who needs a yearly update?
People who need a new iPad, and don’t want to buy one that’s been out for over a year?

Like the phones - they don’t come out yearly so that people can upgrade every year - they come out yearly so that when you do decide to upgrade, whatever you buy is fairly new and modern. And of course keeps up with the competition, which is good for marketing and sales.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
If they update the Pro with oled and m3 and really do price it at more then a freakin 14 mbp, then Apple would have just priced out a lot of people myself included, since I plan to get a pro since the iPad I have now was like the worst buying decision I’ve made that I can remember.

Also lol at continuing to quote Gurman

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
With the terrific iPad Mini 6 and the generally long legs of iPad (not so quick to "long in tooth" like its little brothers), I'm looking forward to upgrading to iPad Mini 9 or 10 about 5-6 more years from now. The jump to this 6 was from an iPad Mini 2, after about 8 years.

But I'd reconsider this plan for an iPad Mini PRO, basically iPhone Pro Max in an iPad Mini form factor, even if priced like existing iPad Pros. Else, this 6 keeps right on rolling for perhaps the balance of the 2020s.

McWetty

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
I bought a 12.9” iPad Pro M1 (woot sale) last month. I love the size, but the weight is a bit much. Makes me miss my 11” Pro. I kind of wish they would split the difference with a 12” iPad Pro and put it on a diet. Maybe a 10” iPad Pro to flesh out the smaller preferences. And for the love of God make them have feature parity.

Reactions: mihike
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.