Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to ship approximately 1.5 million units of its upcoming AR/VR headset in 2023, according to reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

apple-mixed-reality-headset-mockup-feature-yellow.jpg

In a research note, Kuo reiterated that Apple plans to announce its long-rumored mixed-reality headset during an event in January 2023. The company's first AR/VR headset is expected to cost upwards of $2,000, making it a niche product. As a result, Kuo says shipments of the device are unlikely to exceed 1.5 million units in 2023.

In May, Apple presented its AR/VR headset to Apple board members, indicating that the device is nearing its final stages before launch. Despite having worked on the headset for several years, recent problems during development related to overheating and performance have delayed the launch of the product.

The headset is expected to be powered by a chip with on-par performance as the M1 Pro in the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro.

The headset will feature more than a dozen cameras for tracking hand movements, two ultra-high-resolution 8K displays and advanced eye-tracking technology. Renders shared by The Information last year offered us a look at the potential design of the headset.

Apple is already reportedly working on the second-generation version of its AR/VR headset. According to Kuo, the new model of the headset will launch in the first half of 2025, alongside a cheaper and more affordable model.

Article Link: Apple Expecting to Ship 1.5 Million Units of $2,000+ AR/VR Headset in 2023

Last edited:

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
It's gonna have a great success only if it'll replace the need for a mouse entirely. Because it means not only that the input method is physically capable of it, but that the software also is designed to use known productivity apps, as well as entertaining ones.
My expectations are very high.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
The headset will feature more than a dozen cameras for tracking hand movements, two ultra-high-resolution 8K displays
It will not have two 8K displays. At the very best, it may have two square 4K by 4K screens that have a combined resolution that matches a single 8K display.

HK-Dragon

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2021
First of all, terrible design, looks like old fashion ski goggles or my dive mask from xx years ago! C'mon Apple you could do it much better!

Reactions: mayga1

fearless22

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2022
Because it means not only that the input method is physically capable of it, but that the software also is designed to use known productivity apps, as well as entertaining ones.
As much as I’d like that to be the case, I doubt it’s gonna have “productivity” uses

macOS apps are different in iPadOS since all the advantages of mouse-keyboard input (like some features as simple as resizing a side bar) can’t just be adapted to touch, we’ve seen that with Stage Manager resizing. I don’t want to imagine “pro” apps being adapted to a not-even touch UI

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
VR gives me headaches with screen so close to my eyes.
The closeness of the screen to your eyes does not give you headaches. The screens on all VR headsets have a focus distance that is greater than using a laptop screen. But it is very possible that there are other attributes of the optics or screens that give you headaches.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
As much as I’d like that to be the case, I doubt it’s gonna have “productivity” uses

macOS apps are different in iPadOS since all the advantages of mouse-keyboard input (like some features as simple as resizing a side bar) can’t just be adapted to touch, we’ve seen that with Stage Manager resizing. I don’t want to imagine “pro” apps being adapted to a not-even touch UI
A VR headset like this will work great with a keyboard. With eye tracking, you won’t even need a mouse—just look at the element you want to click and press a key on your keyboard to activate the click. I’d love to be able to have a virtual multi-monitor setup anywhere, just by having a headset and a keyboard.

Reactions: Le0M

Muceda

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2010
Hands up who won’t be buying one of these?

Too expensive and likely lacking features as a first attempt knowing Apple. The year after they will release what they should have released in 2023 disappointing those people who dropped 2 grand the year before.
✋not in 2023, nor ‘24, ‘25, ‘26 … 7,8, …. this is going to be as popular as curved Led TVs or 3D TVs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.