Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is working on "Apple GPT" artificial intelligence projects that could rival OpenAI's ChatGPT, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. Work on AI has become a priority for Apple over the course of the last few months, as chatbot services and AI functions in apps have proliferated.

siri-glow.png

The Cupertino company has developed an "Ajax" framework for large language models like ChatGPT, Microsoft's Bing, and Google's Bard, and it has developed its own internal chatbot that some engineers refer to as "Apple GPT," a play on ChatGPT. Apple does not yet have a "clear strategy" for creating a product for consumers, says Gurman.

Given the popularity of AI chatbots, Apple is worried that it is lagging behind on new AI-based technologies that will change the way that people interact with smartphones. Apple employees must get special access to access the chatbot app that Apple is working on, and its output cannot be used to develop new product features for customers. It is being used for product prototyping and can answer questions based on the data that Apple used to train it.

The Ajax platform is built on Google's Jax machine learning framework, running on Google Cloud. Apple reportedly considered signing a contract with OpenAI and trialed OpenAI's technology for its corporate teams, but ultimately did not do so.

Apple has several teams working on artificial intelligence and attempting to solve problems like privacy concerns. Even with its Siri personal assistant, Apple has always been more cautious than competitors, aiming to put privacy ahead of functionality. Apple has been criticized for Siri's shortcomings in comparison to competing products from Google, Microsoft, Samsung, Amazon, and others.

During Apple's May earnings call, Tim Cook said there are a "number of issues that need to be sorted" with AI, and that it's important to be "deliberate and thoughtful" in the development approach. Cook also said that Apple views AI as "huge," and plans to "continue weaving it in products on a very thoughtful basis."

There is no word as of yet on when or if Apple might release some kind of consumer-facing chatbot, but the company continually improves machine learning-based features in its products with each new software iteration. In iOS 17, for example, predictive text functionality has improved, and Apple has introduced new features around Visual Lookup and photo identification.

Apple could be planning to make a "significant" AI announcement in 2024, but has no concrete plans as of yet. Apple's AI head John Giannandrea and software engineering chief Craig Federighi are heading up Apple's AI efforts, but as with many of Apple's emerging technologies, there are reportedly disagreements over product development that the company will need to overcome.

Article Link: Apple Experimenting With 'Apple GPT' AI Tool, No Launch Planned Yet

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
I don't think Apple needs to be leading in generative AI. Apple's strength–and blockbuster products–has always been in taking technologies and products launched by others to the next step by applying its UI, UX, design, and marketing expertise. Apple can watch and learn from the current frenzy...then (ideally) come out with an :apple:GPT or iGPT after all the hype and starry-eyed media coverage recedes.

Last edited:

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
I have a question: If Apple is working on 'AppleGPT'. Does Apple really know what to do with it?

Apple doesn't even have its own search engine capabilities. Microsoft has BING then you have Google Search Engine and so many other search engine platforms where AI GPT can be used.
The same strategy like they used for their product line-up. Chaotic without a meaningful cause. Just-stick a BETA label and wait for 10 years for screen capture capabilities.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I would love to have a Jarvis (Ironman movie reference) that is my personal assistant... helping me manage my day, suggesting improvements to my routine, allowing me to bounce ideas off of it, and helping me remember what happened in my past ("Jarvis, when did I last go to ____ store?", etc).

I would love personalized suggestions (reading, music, fitness, etc) based on my data - eating habits, daily routines, likes, etc.

Like some others in this thread, I have Hey Siri turned off and I rarely use it.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Given the popularity of AI chatbots, Apple is worried that it is lagging behind on new AI-based technologies that will change the way that people interact with smartphones.

Of course Apple is lagging behind on this field. This is the future of virtual assistants, and Apple needs to start working on their own version as soon as possible.

A nice differentiation feature could be making it work on device but I’m not sure the neural engine, CPU and GPU on the latest SoCs such as the A14, A15 and A16 are enough to power it.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
I don't think Apple needs to be leading in generative AI. Apple's strength–and blockbuster products–has always been in taking technologies and products launched by others to the next step by applying its UI, UX, design, and marketing expertise. Apple can watch and learn from the current frenzy...then (ideally) come out with an :apple:GPT or iGPT after all the hype and starry-eyed media coverage recedes.
Apple will use this AI to implement cost reducing strategies. It will soon be able to create and optimise software and hardware. The financial gains will be unparalleled and will instantly make the market cap threefold.

It will use crawling techniques to instantly live protect and fix cybersecurity threats and instantly generate search results without using Google.

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
There won’t be any receding. It’s a runaway train and they need to get on board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.