Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In an interview with Numerama's Nicolas Lellouche, Apple's VP of camera software engineering Jon McCormack explained why the iPhone 15 Pro Max's tetraprism lens system is limited to 5x optical zoom, instead of 10x like on Samsung's Galaxy S23 Ultra. The interview is in French, so quotes below are computer translated.

iPhone-15-Pro-Max-5x-Optical-Zoom-Limit-Feature-1.jpg

Apple says the Telephoto lens on the iPhone 15 Pro Max features the company's most advanced camera stabilization system yet, with a combination of optical image stabilization and an autofocus 3D sensor-shift module. McCormack said the iPhone's 5x zoom lens can be stabilized "incredibly well" compared to a 10x lens.

"The 5x zoom is something that we can stabilize incredibly well," McCormack said in the interview. "If you look at the 10x zoom, unless you have the steadiest hands in the world or a tripod, it's really difficult to use."

Apple's senior director of iPhone product marketing Maxime Veron, who was also interviewed, added that the iPhone 15 Pro Max's 5x lens opens at ƒ/2.8, allowing for "excellent light management." By comparison, the Galaxy S23 Ultra's 10x lens has a ƒ/4.9 aperture. A lower aperture allows for more light to be captured by the camera's sensor, which can be especially beneficial for Night mode photos.

5x optical zoom is exclusive to the iPhone 15 Pro Max, with the iPhone 15 Pro remaining limited to 3x optical zoom. It has been rumored that Apple plans to expand the tetraprism lens system to both iPhone 16 Pro models next year.

McCormack and Veron discuss the latest camera innovations on all iPhone 15 models in more detail in the Numerama interview. The devices launch Friday.

Article Link: Apple Explains Why iPhone 15 Pro Max is Limited to 5x Optical Zoom

Last edited:

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I get it, the further the optical zoom the harder it is to stabilize the shot. I think everyone knows that. But give us the option at least?

Actually maybe I'll take that back a bit. If it's 10x optical zoom and it's hard to get a stable shot, that means you won't be able to do 5x optical shots. 5x would basically be the main camera digitally zoomed until it gets to 10x. Maybe they could've added a 4th camera, but you don't want to add an extra camera for every level of optical zoom you want.

Last edited:

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
That'd be the marketing dept ;)
Doubtful — it seems like they really dropped the ball with this year's model, so much that couldn't add the 5x zoom to the Pro model... I, personally, don't care as I moved up to the Pro Max model, but it's just an ****** thing to do imho — the Pro Max is bigger than some people want to hold/carry.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Reminder that the term “optical zoom” is incorrect as the iPhone does not actually zoom in.

It has a 5x prime lens that it switches to when necessary. All the “zoom” levels between the 3 prime lenses are just cropping of the sensor area from one of the cameras. This means that trying to take, for instance, a 3x photo on an iPhone 15 Pro Max will result in worse image quality than on an iPhone 15 Pro since it has to use smaller sensor area of main 1x camera to take the picture.

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
I would be more curious to find out why 5x zoom is limited to the iPhone 15 Pro Max :D
I think that has more to do with supply constraints. I believe there is only one supplier for the tetraprism. So Apple had to make the decision to either delay it entirely or limit it to just one device. I'm sure the supply will improve by next year and the 16 Pro will have it or the next generation version.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
I think that has more to do with supply constraints. I believe there is only one supplier for the tetraprism. So Apple had to make the decision to either delay it entirely or limit it to just one device. I'm sure the supply will improve by next year and the 16 Pro will have it or the next generation version.
Yes, I agree — this year's model is a big disappointment(imho). Especially if you don't want the Max model. I've never been happier skipping a model than this year.

daveedjackson

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2009
London
I find these interviews done with “marketing” are pointless. Why not actually speak with an imaging engineer or expert. There of course are reasons. We’d all listen and understand better with proper research based fact. Of course they won’t share everything publicly but these interviews are just marking bulls*%t. They know nothing about the actual technology or science behind it.

We’re not stupid a bigger zoom needs a steadier hand. Duh. I think folk are so fast to compare a camera to another manufacturer but there are huge differences of which maybe aren’t so noticeable on a phone screen. But I’ve read many times as soon as you put that image anywhere “other” the issues are obvious (in relation to the Samsung lens)

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
There are rumors that there will be a lot more internal space available on the iPhone 16 Pro models. Just that could make it possible for true periscope-style zoom lens system on the iPhone 16 Pro and Pro Max up to 10x zoom with F2.9 focal length.
While I find the tetraprism to be an interesting work around, I would much prefer a periscope lens with up to 10x zoom. Hopefully someday.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Yeah, curious about this as well. The phones are different sizes but other than that, the camera system (space wise) is identical. So why not include it? Perhaps its due to Apple pushing user to the Pro Max? Who knows
Yup. This has always infuriated me. I'm no longer affected, as I moved over to the Max model, but just the principal. Size is the ONLY thing that should change(and the battery, respectively).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.